Just what is the Tower of Mastery?

How about 5? It should at least still be helpful if you have a permanent ally or vassals already.

1 possibility :
Give the towers to give to passing arcan units lvl 1 of the manas the tower is linked to (giving a +1mana effect for arcane units but without bumping the civ-wide effect)
==> people would want to build the different towers.
or maybe just give the 4th mana that was optional.
or maybe each tower gives civ-wide 2xp to new arcan units (a lot like the altar :()

give to ToM : either of :

1) lvl 3 spells for each lvl1 or lvl2 the arcane unit has..
but not the lvl 2 :)
thus versatile adepts, almost versatil mage/summoners, very powerful and hyper versatile archmages/summoners

2)allows each arcan unit to learn summoning + sorcery..
effectively allowing for 9 (3a+3s+3liches) summoners and 9 archmages...
would be very powerful but not overwhelming as you still need xp to grow from each lvl 1 spell to it's lvl 3 and from adept to mage/conjurer to archmage/summoner/lich.

yoiu may add : no limit on archmage/summoner

@MagisterCultuum
Remember that for building the four towers you need 1 mana source of each already, so you if you get 3, you have in fact 4 of each. Personally I don't think the Vassals should stay Vassals if you start building the tower of mastery. Something like "what? if you build THIS, then we'll fight, even if we have no chance". Well, I've never had more than 1 permanent ally. Of course I'm not such a good player... :)

you may add : no limit on archmage/summoner
what about a "hero" promotion which never fades away even if you have reached 100xp?

Remember that for building the four towers you need 1 mana source of each already, so you if you get 3, you have in fact 4 of each.

If it is a mana magnet and destroys all mana nodes then also the nodes used in building the towers would be destroyed, leaving only the mana produced by palace and wonders intact, so the player who builds it would have 66-70 mana (3-4 each) and others 3-5 mana.

For the Towers special bonus :

Why not settle for an extra Archmage / Summoner / (put Divine top unit here) / Liche slot ?

Tower of Elements give an additional Archmage slot.
Tower of Necromancy, a Liche slot.

Far more balanced than some suggestions I've seen. o_O

What would I envision a tower of mastery as doing? Hrmm...

1. +1 all mana types with associated civ effects...
2. +1 all spell damages and summoning durations.
3. Generates 1 "Eye of God" event spell if one is not already present in world, usable upon any city. It basically would be the magic version of a nuke that harvests all magical forces from all spheres to basically cancel each other out in the targeted city resulting in a tremendous explosion. Law canceling chaos, etc. The fallout tiles around the city would be zones of dead magic where adepts cannot use their abilities and only workers would be able to remove the tiles over many turns if at all. You may use it or you may not.
4. Absolute defense from the "Eye of God" in the city of creation.

Additionally, creating the tower would not get war declared on you right away by every nation, but using the Eye of God spell would. Other civs with the correct mana amounts and availability could also build them, it'd be a national wonder, if it were not a victory condition.. Then going past the victory condition raises the possibility of dueling arch mages and it forces you to defend your empire even if you are close to finishing the tower. (One game just to get the mastery event quickly I just let the enemy waltz in on my lands and just put all the production in my empire into raw cash.)

Oh, and the tower should be a project that cannot be rushed and I would double the completion cost from its already remarkably stellar levels. If at any time you lost one of the mana types after completion the tower would fall useless until it was restored to all mana source types. Any loss of any mana type during the period of construction would result in all progress being lost as perfect arcane balancing would be required to create it and going out of balance would basically result in a collapse of the effort.. perhaps even a catastrophic collapse like a nuclear reactor gone awry.

The tower's supposed to be epic, make it an epic win or an epic fail.

I tested the idea of the tower of mastery being a huge mana magnet, removing all mana nodes from the world but giving 3 of each type to the player who builds it, playing with Amurites-OO

First, the 15 mana resources give all arcane units 15 xp as soon as they are built if the city has a cave of ancestors, which any wise player would build in their cities with mage guilds. This allows instant mages/conjurers from adepts.

Second, 3 of each mana will give all adepts all lvl 1 spells, and all lvl 2 spells to mages/conjurers, meaning that every adept you build is actually comparable to a level 30 mage in number of spells, giving incredible versatility.

Third, the mages/conjurers don't need many more xp to get level 6 and become archmages/summoners, who in turn can learn their lvl 3 spells quickly, and from any circles of magic.

Fourth, the other effects of mana add to the empires productivity. Spirit mana adds +15% gpp, mind mana adds +9% gold, science and culture and enchantment mana adds +3 happiness. This means that if you have size 20 cities that cannot grow anymore because of lack of happiness, their productivity can grow 15%, or 15 gold/science with cottages or 12 hammers with mines with blasting powder. Add here the library, money changer, tax office, basaar of mammon, crown of akharien, forge bonus to get 34 beakers, 37 gold or 13 production, with 10 such cities it makes 224 science, 257 gold or 130 hammers, meaning that averagely you get 2 super adepts every turn extra. With mind mana it's 244 science or 281 gold extra.

Fifth, the mage heroes get a huge bonus. Hemah gains all lvl 2 spells and 5 promotions extra and the hero promotion allows very quick leveling to twincast. Govannon gains the same spells and the promotions can increase raw combat power to gain extra xp from enemies weakened with maelstrom.

So who needs vassals or allies anymore?

Top Bottom