Life skills in the 21st Century

I used this guide to fix my washing machine

I think a good one for young men to learn is "how not to be a rapist"

Implying that you believe all men are naturally rapists? What an incredibly sexist worldview you have there.

Men don't need to learn how not to be rapists because the overwhelming majority of men already aren't rapists. And when I say "overwhelming majority" we are talking something like 0.24% of men are rapists according to available data. And that's a high estimate as I am assuming each rape is carried out by a different person and not accounting for things like serial rapists and repeat offenders.

Implying that you believe all men are naturally rapists? What an incredibly sexist worldview you have there.

Men don't need to learn how not to be rapists because the overwhelming majority of men already aren't rapists. And when I say "overwhelming majority" we are talking something like 0.24% of men are rapists according to available data. And that's a high estimate as I am assuming each rape is carried out by a different person and not accounting for things like serial rapists and repeat offenders.

You're also not accounting for unreported rapes.

Young men need to think with their brains and not with their balls.

Knowing how to use basic things like phones or tablets is going to be a great asset in the future. With tablets becoming as useful and affordable as traditional desktop PCs, you'll see schools (and other places) pivot to touch-based technology to better deliver teaching materials. Also means you get out of the habit of sitting at a desk for too long at a time. Ergonomics is a real hassle, speaking as a software developer. Easier to train the next generation(s) to not have to be stuck in one place for any amount of time until they actually have a job that requires it (if at all).

Other stuff is taken for granted, but literacy, numeracy, swimming (more than running; swimming I'd consider a survival trait), especially additional languages beyond English (the earlier the better, aids general development too I believe - unless that's been studied further, I'm just repeating talking points from high school, hah).

Social context and respect is a big one, but even moreso than swimming, literacy, numeracy or additional languages, that depends on culture to change first. Sadly we don't seem close to that. Gotta do that myself, as a parent, I reckon.

I think a good one for young men to learn is "how not to be a rapist"

Young men do need guidance in how to think about women in a manner that doesn't reflect the hormones of youthful adolescence.

Young men do need guidance in how to think about women in a manner that doesn't reflect the hormones of youthful adolescence.
Basic respect for people should be learned well before hormones start kicking in. Basic respect for self & others should suffice.

Some of the basic skills never go out of style, no mater how technology evolves. I think your life will be enriched if you have some understanding of some physical fitness (how to swim, how to work out in a way that you enjoy, how to do other outdoor activities), some understanding of cooking (to save money and be healthy), and if you read books.

And a basic knowledge of SOME technology is critical. Any white collar job in my country requires some knowledge of spreadsheet and/or presentation software. Everybody needs the ability to suss out reliable information on the internet (i.e, to not get your news from Patriot Eagle Rifle dot Facebook dot com), and everybody needs to know HOW to look something up if you don't know it.

But as far as professional growth goes, in my experience, the most important skills that I've seen remain interpersonal ones. Folks who do not have as much technical skills, but who are emotionally intuitive, good managers, ask the right questions and can make people feel valued...will not have great difficulty finding work if they have a minimum credential.

I don't think we'll find a way to automate quality relationships. Learning how to build and maintain those is a skill that takes practice, but if you're good at it, you'll be in a good place to find not only professional success, but happiness.

Some of the basic skills never go out of style, no mater how technology evolves. I think your life will be enriched if you have some understanding of some physical fitness (how to swim, how to work out in a way that you enjoy, how to do other outdoor activities), some understanding of cooking (to save money and be healthy), and if you read books.

And a basic knowledge of SOME technology is critical. Any white collar job in my country requires some knowledge of spreadsheet and/or presentation software. Everybody needs the ability to suss out reliable information on the internet (i.e, to not get your news from Patriot Eagle Rifle dot Facebook dot com), and everybody needs to know HOW to look something up if you don't know it.

But as far as professional growth goes, in my experience, the most important skills that I've seen remain interpersonal ones. Folks who do not have as much technical skills, but who are emotionally intuitive, good managers, ask the right questions and can make people feel valued...will not have great difficulty finding work if they have a minimum credential.

I don't think we'll find a way to automate quality relationships. Learning how to build and maintain those is a skill that takes practice, but if you're good at it, you'll be in a good place to find not only professional success, but happiness.
Hello Downtown! How's life? I'd add creativity and problem solving to your list.

Top Bottom