Moar Units Mod

MOAR Units Mod 1.2

Hi, I don't know if you planned on adding more unique units, but it's fun to theory-craft so I have some ideas for Norway none the less to anyone who wants to read them:

The Jomsvikings are a legendary company of viking warriors. They are perhaps a bit too similar to the Berserker, along with the Hirdman Norway might have a bit too many unique early era melee units. But still if we were to make a Jomsviking, possible bonuses could be a reduced combat penalty when fighting with low hp, as Jomsvikings were not allowed to flee an opponent with equal or lesser strength. I actually think that's the bonus that Berserkers should have had, as the myth to pertaining to the viking raiders ferocity was that they were not afraid of death, a death in battle meant a seat at the longtable in Valhalla, and thus fought very recklessly. The fear stemming from that even if the Jomsvikings were outnumbered or wounded, they would still inflict losses. So even though the bonus to attack and the penalty to defense has the flavor of reckless fighting I do not think it reflects the battle until death aspect of the Bersker legend.

But Berserkers aside, the Jomsvikings were mercenaries, perhaps a discount on upgrade/buyout? They were also pagans, they could have a combat bonus with a pantheon, and a penalty with a religion in your city of origin. But they also fought under Christian lords a lot, as long as they were wealthy enough, so one could combine the two bonuses; A discount with pantheon, and increase in maintenance with a religion. That could maybe introduce some interesting choice or weird counterplay to the game. Though it might not be feasible to mod in, as I know the modding support is not finished at the moment.

Some other famous warriors in Norwegian history were the saboteurs during WWII, they paradropped into the mountains and skied down the slopes to a huge powerplant and blew it up, setting the german nuclear program back some time, they desperately needed the heavy water produced by the plant. Also in more recent times the Norwegian Special forces have been famous for their arctic warfare and survival training. I know the Navy SEALS yearly have a bootcamp up in northern norway to level up their arctic warfare game. Norway has had a unique unit that references this in earlier civ games, thought I really think all of them have been pretty lame. But perhaps such a unit would be more fit for a more modern leader, as Harald Hardråde is medivial leader. Though I personally would like a more even distribution of unique units through the eras in about half the civilizations to make for more rounded choices.

This is a fantastic mod, and so early in the lifespan of civ6 too, the mod really makes the civs a bit more impactful than in vanilla! Thank you for this mod.

Understood :)
So we need a light cavalry for the time of the knights....

You have a double entry of:-
Code:
       <Row Tag="DRUZHINA_BONUS_VS_MELEE_DESC" Language="en_US">
           <Text>+4 [ICON_Strength] Combat Strength against Melee units.</Text>
       </Row>
In your MOAR_Units_Text.xml, line 88 and then again at 115. (Notepad++ line numbers)

I think what I'll do is release these as separate mods for each unit. For now just edit MOAR_Units_Data.xml to just contain the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameData>
    <Types>
        <Row Type="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" Kind="KIND_UNIT"/>
    </Types>
    <Units>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" BaseMoves="2" Cost="350" AdvisorType="ADVISOR_CONQUEST" BaseSightRange="2" ZoneOfControl="true" Domain="DOMAIN_LAND" FormationClass="FORMATION_CLASS_LAND_COMBAT" Name="LOC_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_NAME" Description="LOC_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_DESCRIPTION" PurchaseYield="YIELD_GOLD" PromotionClass="PROMOTION_CLASS_MELEE" Maintenance="4" Combat="64" PrereqTech="TECH_RIFLING" MandatoryObsoleteTech="TECH_SATELLITES"/>
    </Units>
    <UnitUpgrades>
        <Row Unit="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" UpgradeUnit="UNIT_INFANTRY"/>
    </UnitUpgrades>
    <UnitAIInfos>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITAI_COMBAT"/>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITAI_EXPLORE"/>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITTYPE_MELEE"/>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITTYPE_LAND_COMBAT"/>
    </UnitAIInfos>
</GameData>

I assume its the same process if I only want to update the Vikings UU for instance? Like as a way to give them a bit of a balance boost?

Also thanks for your work.

If the point is to add unit variety, I'd recommend:

Light Cavalry line: Horseman >> Mounted Archer >> Mounted Serjeant >> Lancer >> Cavalry >> Motorized Infantry >> Airborne Infantry (appearing parallel to helicopters) >> Mechanized Infantry

Heavy Cavalry line: Heavy Chariot >> Knight >> Cuirassier >> Dragoon >> Cavalry >> Tank >> Tank Destroyer >> Modern Armor

The idea here is that the two lines eventually converge at cavalry, then veer off into specialization. The Light Cavalry line consistently enjoys higher movement but lower durability than the Heavy Cavalry line.

Personally, I'd love to see more units for the Ancient and Medieval eras. I loved the addition of Medieval Infantry in Play The World.

Have you thought of something for Egypt? Personally I think they would do well with a good melee unit.

Hello I have a question concerning art content, you say to install the "The contents of the Art_Assets subdirectory should be copied into your Civ VI game root directory (e.g. .../steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI) overwriting the existing files" I have a Mac Steam install, I go to C://users/myname/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI and do not see any of those files??? all I see is 2 folders - _CommonRedist and DLC, and the game app Civilization VI. Neither of the 2 folders have the files either... So where do these art files go??? thanks

Deliverator updated [Civ VI] Moar Units Mod with a new update entry:

MOAR Units - 0.3 Update

This update adds 7 more unique units to Civ VI: Japanese Sohei, Scythian Amazon Cavalry, Brazilian Bandeirante and Fatherland Volunteer, Egyptian Hyksos Bowman, French Gendarme and Kongolese Garde Republicaine.

Also Civiliopedia background for each unit has been added.

View attachment 458225

View attachment 458226

Sohei (Japan)
Japanese unique unit available with the Feudalism Civic. Can be purchased with Faith. +10 Combat Strength when defending.

Amazon Cavalry...

Read the rest of this update entry...

If the point is to add unit variety, I'd recommend:

Light Cavalry line: Horseman >> Mounted Archer >> Mounted Serjeant >> Lancer >> Cavalry >> Motorized Infantry >> Airborne Infantry (appearing parallel to helicopters) >> Mechanized Infantry

Heavy Cavalry line: Heavy Chariot >> Knight >> Cuirassier >> Dragoon >> Cavalry >> Tank >> Tank Destroyer >> Modern Armor

The idea here is that the two lines eventually converge at cavalry, then veer off into specialization. The Light Cavalry line consistently enjoys higher movement but lower durability than the Heavy Cavalry line.

To do this you'd need: (i) the ability to import new assets as there's no way to get this amount of variety from the existing assets; (ii) a tech tree with more techs in it to spread out the unit upgrades; (iii) a way for a unit to choose between multiple upgrade paths - I'm pretty sure each unit can only upgrade to single unit type right now.

Hello I have a question concerning art content, you say to install the "The contents of the Art_Assets subdirectory should be copied into your Civ VI game root directory (e.g. .../steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI) overwriting the existing files" I have a Mac Steam install, I go to C://users/myname/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI and do not see any of those files??? all I see is 2 folders - _CommonRedist and DLC, and the game app Civilization VI. Neither of the 2 folders have the files either... So where do these art files go??? thanks

Sorry I have no idea about where these files are on Mac. Perhaps you can find the Base folder somewhere else?

Any screenshot for Gendarme?

I have just used the regular Knight model, but I've updated the number of members to 3 and added France's civilization color.

Awesome job with the update! I can't imagine how I played without your extra units. Keep up the amazing work!

Mate, you are like the Mod Modelling Master!
So many awesome figures and character design for the game!

I hope you keep this up! You creating a mod which will surely be bigger than any DLC we are getting from the actual devs.

Awesome content! Thanks man! ~

To do this you'd need: (i) the ability to import new assets as there's no way to get this amount of variety from the existing assets; (ii) a tech tree with more techs in it to spread out the unit upgrades; (iii) a way for a unit to choose between multiple upgrade paths - I'm pretty sure each unit can only upgrade to single unit type right now.

Thanks for responding back. I didn't expect that, but it's welcome.

When you talk about importing new assets, I don't know precisely what that means, but I can guess. Is that another way of saying that Civ VI suffers from the same limitations on user modification that strangled Civ V in the cradle?

I'm happy to collaborate on a tech tree. I'm good for ideas and research, but worthless for the coding and graphics creation side of modding.

When you talk about importing new assets, I don't know precisely what that means, but I can guess. Is that another way of saying that Civ VI suffers from the same limitations on user modification that strangled Civ V in the cradle?

I'm talking about adding and altering 3D graphics. Everything in this mod has been done via editing XML to recombine and recolour existing 3D models.

We won't really know how mod-able the graphics are until the mod tools are released.

I'm having issues with the names of units as well as the models not working as shown in images. Am I installing correctly?

Naming error, usually shows up after loading a saved game:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796569542

Unit model showing as warrior instead of mounted unit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=796570301

If you don't see the new art assets in the game then you probably haven't copied the files from MOAR_Units_Assets correctly. The files that need to be in place within the game directory for the current version of Moar Units are:

../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Civ6.dep (overwrite)
../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/ArtDefs/Units.artdef(overwrite)
../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/ArtDefs/Units_Moar.artdef(new)
../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/UI/Icons/Icons_Units.xml (overwrite)
../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/UI/Icons/Icons_UnitPortraits.xml (overwrite)
../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/UI/Icons/Icons_UnitFlags.xml (overwrite)
../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/Text/en_US/MOAR_Units_GameplayText.xml (new)

Due to the current incompleteness of mod support you will need to restart the game between each new game or reloaded savegame for game text to display correctly.

Top Bottom