Moar Units Mod

MOAR Units Mod 1.2

@Deliverator I was looking at the MOAR_Units_Data.xml and it appears that there are missing lines for the Peltast upgrade and AiTypes.

I would also second @UncivilizedGuy 's suggestion of late game support units.

*Edit - I also noticed that the MOAR_Units_Icons_Config.xml is not in this newest version.

Last edited:
@Deliverator I was looking at the MOAR_Units_Data.xml and it appears that there are missing lines for the Peltast upgrade and AiTypes.

Oooops! Thanks for pointing this out. Find fixed MOAR_Units_Data.xml attached.

*Edit - I also noticed that the MOAR_Units_Icons_Config.xml is not in this newest version.

That's intentional. Now that the custom icons can be loaded in the selection screen this file is no longer needed.

Attachments

• MOAR_Units_Data.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 195
Oooops! Thanks for pointing this out. Find fixed MOAR_Units_Data.xml attached.

That's intentional. Now that the custom icons can be loaded in the selection screen this file is no longer needed.
Updated the Russian localisation during last peltast update. Checked it. All good. Fixed the Australia's text replacement cause it's didn't appear properly for some weird reason. Just split in two paragraphs and that will done fine. Please, replace this files in the future updates.

Now some bad (or weird) news. During my game party I have noticed some weird stuff. The problem was in the incorrect national colors representation. The unit is Swordsman (not Longswordsman...the old one). His cloak was pure white...and that was in all civilizations armyes. In the meantime, I knew that the new unit (actually I like the longswordsman and his smooth animations) is using the white color for his clothes... Maybe some conflicts between two swordsmans?

Now some suggestions for future Moar Units:

1) I think Persia is deserving Elephants and Camel riders (not archers. A light cavalry that has bonuses against horses) or Immortal cavalry (Which has strong melee and good distant attack, stronger than Scythian Saki archers and will replaced a knights or simple riders....). In current state only India has elephants, so I think that's Persia may have use them too. For example Archers on Elephants....
2) For Macedonia maybe one (only one) additional unit.... Siege unit....or....naval unit.... I don't know exactly what's better....

Or maybe those two new nations should have one additioan renissance era unit... You know...gave them opportunity to keep up in the modern eras... But I'm still think that the Macedonia bonuses is very strong...and the Alexander will have advantages no matter in which era he's started a war.... (Alexander is also looking a little weird :) )

3) After updates the developers is raised the power of Roman Legionares, so I'm very satisfied wit that...

4) Any chance to create a spear throwing animations for Voomera unit? I know that's may be difficult, but if in the future updates you will upgrade this, that would be vonderful. But even now all works normal.

Thank you again for all Moar Units Mods. I'll be check again sometimes....

Attachments

• Additions to the text (just replace them).rar
    37.1 KB · Views: 113
A unique siege unit for Macedonia would risk making their "taking cities gives you stuff" power a bit too powerful. Or it could synergise really well. I guess you'd need to be careful balancing that. Naval unit would provide them with better coastal city capturing opportunities.

Hi all! Just wanted to give an update on where I'm at with Moar Units and Civ 6 modding in general. I'm out of the country for a couple of weeks so there won't be any movement on Moar Units during that time I'm afraid.

Moar Units started out as a demonstration of what could be done with unit graphics and to lesser extent the gameplay modifiers system. It was always my expectation and hope that parts of the mod would be reused by other mods and would inspire other modders to do similar things. Happily that is now happening and parts of Moar Units are being repacked and reworked into new mods.

My principle interest through Civ 5 and Civ 6 modding has been 3D art - seeking to push back the boundaries, develop better tools and demonstrate what is possible. These days 3D art is still the part of modding I find most interesting, enjoyable and satisfying. Coupled with the fact there that are many modders who can do gameplay modding and mod maintenance (which I find less interesting) I'd like to move to focusing completely on 3D art.

This doesn't mean I'm finished with Moar Units just yet!!!

1) I do want to make an Even Moar Units! Persia and Macedon extension. (I could be wrong but I expect that these will be the last DLC Civilizations before the first official Expansion.) Thanks for the ideas - I will share my thoughts in a separate post.

2) I want to maintain the advantage for Civilizations/Leaders that get 2 UUs in vanilla. That means an extra unit for America, England, Norway and Macedon to give them each a total of four. Again I will share my ideas in a separate post.

3) Incorporate the Hooves and Holy War units into the main mod.

4) A final pass to correct any bugs or grievous imbalance issues.

5) I will continue to update and improve the 3D art so that Moar Units can be a custom unit art showcase as my modding time allows.

I'm glad that lots of people have enjoyed playing with this mod and have given feedback both positive and constructive! I've been slightly surprised that the mod has been so popular (if I'd known I probably would have picked a moar sensible name!) but only slightly surprised as I know from experience that customised art is a key attraction for mods.

If anyone with some modding skills wants to help me out then there are a couple of areas where some help would be nice:

1) 2D Texturing: If there is a good 2D artist who wants to help me out with some texturing work then there is a lot that can be achieved just by reskinning vanilla assets (or very slightly adjusted vanilla 3D assets). I have quite a number of ideas on these so PM me if want to have a go!

2) Once I'm done with the gameplay side if someone wanted to take over the mod in whole or in part then I'd be happy with that so I can focus on art stuffs. To be honest if someone wants to do that they can do it anyway as I've always been happy for my stuff to be reused or reworked.

It has been mentioned that Moar Units isn't particularly sustainable given that custom Civilizations are coming out now and providing another 2 UUs for every new Civ is going to be a shed load of work. I'm not someone who is precious about their modding output - it's just for fun and for the community. As I said from the start, this was really just a demo mod made to help show the way for custom art so if it is cannabalised and goes to rest in peace then I'll be happy that it has served its purpose!

Last edited:
My Current Ideas for the remaining new units:

Persia
Was thinking about a Takabara unit but I like Camel Cavalry for visual distinctiveness.

Under Darius they had the first imperial navy so a Naval unit seems appropriate, maybe something like a Phoenician Warship.

Macedon

Sarissa Spearman - a unique spearman replacement.

A support unit of some kind sounds good but they are already very strong so would need to think about a suitable effect.

America

A10 Thunderbolt II feels like a good choice for air superiority. Gameplay wise an anti-tank ground attack aircraft? Not quite sure how I'd implement that yet.

England

Ignoring the whole England/Britain blurring thing maybe a Dreadnought unit feels appropriate however that could make 3 Battleship replacing UUs (with the Yamato and Minas Giraes) with not much distinction unless we can come up with more interesting effects for them.

Norway

I like a Skald unit that is a Scout replacement with some Culture bonus. I can reuse some of the nice wolf skin vanilla elements for the model.

After reading about Darius earlier this week, I would second the move towards a naval UU. His navy was crucial to keeping his army supplied while he marched his army through Scythian lands that had no cities and no farmed land to pull resources from.

America: F-14 Tomcat that gets a bonus when based on a carrier.

England: Spitfire that gains a large bonus for interception.

Norway: Shield Maiden, support unit that adds 5hp of healing per turn and +10 combat strength on defense to any unit occupying the same hex.

Last edited:
I was going to say an SAS unit for England but I remembered that we already had the SASR unit for Australia. I'd say that if you were going to add the dreadnought then replace the Yamato (which was quite irrelevant) and replace it with a kamikaze unit which loses 20hp every attack but is very strong.
Also, i think for America a helicopter unit would be fiiting.

Last edited:
My Current Ideas for the remaining new units:
America

A10 Thunderbolt II feels like a good choice for air superiority. Gameplay wise an anti-tank ground attack aircraft? Not quite sure how I'd implement that yet.

England

Ignoring the whole England/Britain blurring thing maybe a Dreadnought unit feels appropriate however that could make 3 Battleship replacing UUs (with the Yamato and Minas Giraes) with not much distinction unless we can come up with more interesting effects for them.
Just a couple ideas off the top of my head with no particular thoughts on effects:

America - I think the AH-1 Cobra helicopter replacement might make an interesting choice. An Arleigh Burke destroyer replacement or an M2 Bradley Mech Infantry replacement would also be different.

England - I agree about the Dreadnought. Although another idea would be a Challenger Modern Armor replacement.

For English unit ideas, maybe...

The Stuart 'Honey' tank from WW2, maybe faster and less costly than a regular tank but less powerful. Or maybe a medieval sapper unit that offers the 'wall assault' bonus that the battering ram has.

For Persia perhaps an Immortal swordsman to negate how the present Immortal replaces a swordsman. Since other Civs have unique units from different eras as well, the Sassanian Persian empire has forerunners to knights that were essentially cataphracts/heavily armored horseman. The Parthian Persian empire had horse archers that were greatly feared for their "Parthian shot" (feigning retreat and turning around to shoot the arrow). In the 1500-1600's the Qizilbash were a special force of Turkmen warriors that were the main force of the Safavid Persian empire. They were like the Immortals that carried bows, swords and spears. Some were even mounted. Shah Ismail and Shah Abbas used these troops to take over all of modern Iran and Central Asia. Perhaps they can a replacement for knights or longswordsmen for Persia. The last dynasty, Pahlavi, had a military that was the only other country outside of America that had F14 Tomcats and the largest hovercraft force in the world.

On a side note, could you consider reintroducing grenadiers and special forces infantry? I miss Civ 4 units!

Lastly, thank you. Your work is excellent.

Hi, I've seen in your modding guide thread your pic about the mecha unit from BE, that look awesome, do you have any plan to add Future units later on?
And speaking about future units, is paratrooper something doable?

For England it could be the Harrier Jump Jet.
Two in one slot, but a little less powerful.

The only mod I have installed is the MOAR units, with all attendant dlc. I have tried three games and at various points the games stops working. It never goes to the next turn. Anybody else have this problem.

Possible England suggestion: Beefeaters/Billmen that replace Pikemen, have better armor

I do like the RAF Spitfire and Dreadnought ideas a lot though.

For America, how about a hyper-modern tank or drone platform? A fighter that somehow synergizes with Aircraft Carriers seems like a pretty smart and iconic choice though. Maybe Green Berets/Navy SEALs? I dunno, I'm spitballing.

LOVE the Shield Maiden idea.

Top Bottom