1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by das, Jul 15, 2005.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Shoot not the message for the messenger. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Anyhow, Chester, I have to admit that while the mechanics seem like they might draw some interest, your proposal would take several large bounds towards completion by detailing the setting.

2. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

You don't have the right to be pretentious if you can't even drag your sorry ass to one update. :p

I'm gonna put the beret in the cabinet and lock it, and you only get to wear it if you behave.

3. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Personally, I find there's a bit issue with some mechanics as well.

- "Tiered" class mechanics have a lot of purpose in forum-based games that aren't solely meant for competition. A sense of progress is meaningful, but it's perhaps instead ideal to drop levels altogether and just showcase incremental development and nothing else. NESing rules are usually ordained as incremental development (Ie a nation going from 11 to 13 Economy Points in one update, and getting a score in Culture, slighlty influencing some other nation) rather than simply amassing XP from 0 to 100 before going from Bronze to Iron Age. Having both a tier system and incremental development isn't really elegant either - I mean, some classic NESes utilized this system (LINES II used different Ages alongside normal stats that arbitrarily increased military power but even here, while Age increasing increased military power significantly, it really just happened by A) having your nation developed properly and B) being neighbours with more advanced civs, so the system evened out.) but the modern design approach is just as powerful, less tedious and more elegant (See: Capto Igulum and N3S)

- You have class overload. I understand what you're trying to do - you're designing a game system in which people can play. But honestly, there aren't going to be that many people in the game and the way you spread out people across specific classes that are tiered works for a strategy game that is very competetive on some manner. But NESers usually want to roleplay and your class system is kinda like DND but more simple in its execution, and I'm not sure that makes for good gameplay - DND is weird because its classes are quite so arbitrary, but it had a lot of intricate number crunching and personalization to make up for it. Your system looks like the specific constrains of DND with the depth of Diablo III. I understand there's always room for players to roleplay their way out of it, but why not let that breathe? If I were you, I'd:

1 Drop the class tiers
    2 Instead of having so many classes, think of, say, five archetypes that each depend differently upon the fundamental stats and have some set bonuses that allow them to grow. Then players will work out the rest. :)

4. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Eh, at least they aren't as bad as some of the people in the courses I take who wouldn't recognise reality even if the salmon of knowledge was used to slap them in the face. The internet might be overflowing with idiots, some of whom are on the IOT forum (although not all IOTers are idiots obviously) but rarely do internet people deny self-evident reality or argue that reality is an oppressor.

5. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

Doing it with Archetypes would certainly work better. Then, instead of having class tiers, you could have a "Ability Tree" where characters spend their experience points, making the abilities associated to each archetype easier to obtain than others (cross-class training!). That way, you don't restrict abilities to each class/archetype, but make it likely people will go that way.

6. WhiteRobber

WhiteRobber Twinkle twinkle Wunderbar

Dudes, it's based on a game called Majesty. The first tier class are all original from the Majesty game, and I'm trying to preserve the feel of the game. The game had potential until Paradox ... did things... to it.
    So sorry, not dropping the classes

Second, it's a very basic outline of the game. The details about monster stats, how traveling works, how turns work and how RP influences gameplay, that's all "coming up". This is like a "alpha stage" of testing a game.

So, I see that you don't like
    1) class tiers.
    2) so many classes
    3) the fact that i'm mostly a IOTer

First, I'm gonna change the tiers. Only the original (tier 1) can be starting classes, but after a certain level, you can change to an improved version or stay the same every other level.
    Second, it's many for you, but it's easy to do for me. So why not.
    Third, IOTers hate and/or make fun of me every time they realize I'm around. So I don't belong in IOT. Look at all my IOTs. All dead because IOTers are unable to stay in for more than 15 seconds.

Again, I'm repeating that the game is in a so early alpha stage that I should ask you what is before alpha so I can give a title to that post.
    And since each player will control at least 2 heroes, all I need is 5 players to keep me busy .
    Also, to keep to the original game, i'm gonna have to add some more stats.

7. Angst

I'm not going to bash IOTers for what it's worth.

I do realize it's an early alphe something rules draft. That's why I jumped in to help. I wouldn't go through the game like that if it was in its finished state ; I'd just ignore it.

8. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

9. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

First off, I'm not bashing you at all.

Second, if I was I wasn't bashing you because you are an IOTer. I bashed you because you trolled us with your last NES. And I quote:

Spoiler :

Caution is advised.

10. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Mkay Chester.

I'll wait till I see the finished rulesst. Tell me when the turkey's done. Been a while since the last RP nes.

11. WhiteRobber

@terrance, that was a joke. I had found out at that time that I wasn't going to have time for anything really, so I killed it off. To not make it look like a "drop for the lulz", I said "well, at least I'll increase my reputation in IOT". For the record, it didn't work. I'm sorry if anyone here feels insulted. You can't compare IOTs to NESes. It's like comparing Skittles with [insert generic vodka brand here].

12. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

lurker's comment: :lmao:

13. Lord_Herobrine

Lord_Herobrine Back in the Saddle

I don't know about anyone else, but I am up for a NESlife right now. :)

14. Angst

Have to say though: My thoughts were purely on game design, how to make a really good NES. I for example like the Magic the Gathering universe, but counterspells really don't work in a forum format, so sticking too closely with the game's mechanics will not serve me very well; and this is the point of my post; I don't expect to participate in the game. Don't tailor it to me. It was merely my advice in regards to good forum game design.

15. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

If it means anything to you all, I've always come here more for the story and writing stuff then for the math and statblock stuff. Shame no one is doing any more of them. :(

And frankly I've always found fresh starts exceedingly dull to begin with.

16. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I might be resuming mine this summer, once my exams are finished. It kind of depends on what my schedule looks like.

17. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

B-but counterspells are the best cards in Magic and the most fun to play with! The satisfaction that you get out countering your opponent's big threat or combo piece is heartwarming.

18. Angst

:p

Serious answr to your joke #1: Counterspells are strange in that they're pretty dumb cards that make players feel smart; yet they're integral to the game's balance.

Serious answr to your joke #2: My point was that instants, as a concept, don't really translate to nonlive / turn-based games. They can work, but it's tremendous work, and it's in itself very limiting and only functional as a niche system. Counters being such a big part of blue's identity means that blue, as a mechanical color, would have to look very different in a NES, in order to a) not cause brain damage and b) be as awesome as the other colors. Changing blue here would change the color-core of Magic; so if a Magic setting were to be the fundament for a NES, the mechanics would work very differently.

Actually, it's not reserved for instants. A board is fundamentally different per the virtue of not being handheld live cards. Some games simply aren't elegantly translatable to NES; and if they aren't, they should stay out of our game rules.

Serious answr to your joke #3: counters suck counters stop me from casting leviathan

(or not so serious)

19. WhiteRobber

Refined map for future fantasy RPG NES.
    The ruleset is 30 pages long already split into 10 documents for easy reading and linking when you need it. Don't be scared, it's mostly item prices, locatinos, descriptions, flavor text and my snarky comments.
    Spoiler :

20. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

Holy s**t , man. That sounds quite awesome. I might join if I find it interesting when I read it.