1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by das, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

1: I dropped silliNES3 because I'm missing 1/3 of the submissions. Blame them, not me.
    2: Hex is getting overwhelming support right now.
    3: No. At least, not yet. Going to start as a grounded (ha!) medieval fantasy. Who knows, it might get daft in here as the map expands.

More info on SilliNES4: There will be a "Pre-NES" stage stage.

In the Pre-NES stage we will have 3 rounds. Each round introduces several new players, and existing players may expand their forces, land holdings, or even begin to fight. Each round will also expand the map. The Pre-NES will serve to set the stage.

Round One will introduce the heart of a Kingdom and Three Players.
    Round Two will introduce several realms and Five more Players.
    Round Three will introduce the frontier and up to Seven Players.
    Max player count will be Fifteen as we begin.

EDIT: Huh. Never worked with hex grids to such an extent before. Any tips?

2. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Why not update without them?

3. Terrance888

Because I made the mistake of taking mostly completed submissions. Therefore I couldn't really distinguish what made one set of Orders "Ok it's good" and another set "No, it's not really done/right" because there are ones in the latter I put in the former, and there are those in the former which should have been in the latter. This falls into the "Can't ban Neofascist Italy Concept Due To Personal Reasons" category.

Also, because it's a complete, if silly, world, everything should affect everything. I have the general idea but I couldn't even touch the areas around potentially OK submissions unless I get word from the player they are indeed not interested. Most players I've contacted said they're still interested or were silent, but I've had bad experiences from assumptions before.

Finally, half the players joined in the last three days before/the week after deadline, when the preNES was going for a month. For the first couple weeks or so I didn't pressure them much because RL suddenly ramped up on me and I felt it would be unfair to be so hard on them when I couldn't promise anything then anyways.

4. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

I think that the best way to use coordinates in a hex map is to mark the vertical groups with letters and the diagonal with numbers.

5. Terrance888

I probably should just rip a Hex Map off the net. What should the scale be?

6. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

I'd make a map with Hexographer. Really.

7. Terrance888

I don't want to pay money.

8. JohannaK

I got it for free, iirc. O.O

9. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

You could always get Jk to make it ^^

10. JohannaK

Nah, laptop crashed Friday and had to do a complete reboot. Only saved a few important files.

11. Terrance888

Spoiler :

sample map via Hexographer. 26 by 30.

I think we might need a bigger map.

12. Arrow Gamer

Arrow Gamer America's Dictator

Or a bigger boat.

13. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

14. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Incorrugible

Apparently, a high school.

15. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

lurker's comment: reppin mah alma mater

16. madviking

madviking north american scum

it's not just your alma mater :p

17. WhiteRobber

WhiteRobber Twinkle twinkle Wunderbar

I know i'm not a NESer, but I try.

Heroes of Ardania NES

To join, pick any tow heroes from Tier 1.
    Tier 1)Warrior- Ranger-Rogue-Wizard-Monk-Healer-Priest-Cultist-Barbarian-Solarus-Adept - Builder
    Tier 2)Commander-Hunter-Thief-Sage-Cleric-Paladin-Necromancer-Beastmaster-Berserker-Fire Knight-Windwalker- Technician
    Tier 3)Champion - Warden - Assassin - Archmage - Bishop - Crusader - Lich - Warrior of Discord - Brute - Sun Priest - Nightwalker - Engineer

Upon character creation, only first tier classes can be chosen, each having it’s abilities.
    Upon reaching level 7 , there is an opportunity each level to change to the next tier of the class for different, usually upgraded abilities and skills. Continuing with the same class awards an extra ability. Same at level 14.

There are 5 stats which increase by 1 upon level up, and a Primary stat that increases by 2 with each level up. Stats are Strength ( increases attack damage, ability to wear heavier armor, chance to resist poisons , immobilisation spells and damage over time.), Vitality (increases HP, HP gained upon level up, and power of defensive spells) , Willpower (increases chance to resist stun, hit chance with melee weapons, and damage for certain classes) , Artifice ( stealth, chance to dodge/parry attacks, hit chance with Ranged weapons, Chance to do Attack of Opportunity for Artifice-based classes, chance to steal, many other uses) and Intelligence (damage of spells, hit chance of spells, chance to resist spells)
    There are other stats, such as Damage ( the average damage you do in a battle), Armor ( damage reduction factor in battles), Luck (luck in gambling, bigger odds in several situations), Speed (chance to flee battle if something goes wrong) and Craftsmanship (ability to work with schematics and plans)
    ===============================

Warrior (can upgrade into Commander, then Champion) -A pretty balanced class. Attack strength is big enough, but defense and accuracy are low. Class and upgrades use All kinds of Armor, all kinds of melee weapons (except scythes) , and has acces to the class-unique Shields item slot. The primary stat of this class is Strength. This class lacks Artifice and Intelligence, but benefits more from Armors.

Rangers (Hunters, Wardens) - ranged class, uses Bows and Longbows. Another Strength-based class, it has the special ability to always be able to find a way out of unmapped areas. Wears leather armor and has access to the unique class item slot Quiver.

Rogue (Thief,Assassin) -ranged class, uses Crossbows. Primary stat is Artifice. Has the special ability to rob different locations and can change guild affiliation freely. Wears leather armor and has access to the unique class item slot Cloak

Wizard (Sage, Archmage) - Fragile powerhouse, able to annihilate entire armies in seconds, but will fall if as much as one toothpick touches them. Primary stats is Intelligence. Wizards start out with several spells and have access to the unique class item slot Spellbook. They weak Robes and use Mage Staves as weapons.

Monk (Paladin, Bishop) - melee class that does not use weapons. It’s damage is derived from both Willpower and Strength. Heroes of this class are devoted to the God of Law, Dauros, and refuse to talk to followers of Kypta , Fervus and Krolm. They wear Robes, and primary stat is Willpower. Paladins wear heavy armor and wield Longswords.

Healer (Cleric, Crusader) - weak melee class. Uses Daggers as weapons, but does not rely on melee, but rather on supporting other heroes with healing spells. Main stat is Intelligence. Healers are followers of Agrela, the Goddess of Life, and thus Healers refuse to speak to followers of Krolm, Krypta or Fervus. They wear Robes and have access to the unique class item slot Healspell . Crusaders use Swords and Heavy Armor

Priest (Necromancer, Lich) - magic class that uses Mage Staves and Robes. They have acces to several encromantic spells and life-stealing spells, which balance the low health and weak defenses of these classes. Their primary stats is Intelligence, and has access to the a unique Item slot, which can control up to three undead followers under the control of the priest. Devoted to krypta, the Godess of death, the refuse to speak to followers of Agrela, Dauros or Krolm.

Cultist (Beastmaster, Warrior of Discord) - Bizarre hybrid class. Uses Daggers in close combat, but throws daggers at range if possible. Has abilities allowing this class to tame certain wilf animals and even shapeshift temporarily into some of them. Cultists have Artifice as main stat. Beastmasters only fight mounted on a tamed beast and can tame more powerful monsters. Beastmasters have Strength as primary stats.. Warriors of Discord are a Vitality-based class that uses Spiked Armor, unique for their subclass, and Scythes as weapons, and have no taming skills. All three classes follow the Chaos God, Fervus, and thus despise followers of Dauros, Agrela or Krolm.

Barbarian (Berserker, Brute) - melee Strength class, that uses Loincloth armors and wields TWO weapons: a war club and an Axe. Brutes may fight with bare hands or small Axes. They follow Krolm, the God of Destruction, thus they do not talk to followers of other deities .

Solarus (FireKnight, Sun Priest) - Spellcasting hybrid class, with Strength as main Attribute. Uses several fire spells and wears medium armor and wields Maces and Flails. They follow Helia, the sun Goddess, and despise followers of Lunord and Krolm. Fire Knights can wield Swords, while the Sun Priest uses Mage Staves and wears Robes, having INT as primary stat.

Adept (Windwalker, Nightwalker) -melee class which uses the class-unique Melee Staves as weapons and medium armor. They have Willpower as main stat, and follow Lunord, the Moon god, despising followers of Helia and Krolm . Windwalkers are more spell-oriented while Nightwalkers have their Artifice as main stat.

Builder (Technician, Engineer) - melee class that uses normal Hammers (not the Warhammer type sued by other classes). They don’t do fighting, and if they do, they require immediate help ,even at higher levels. Still, their skill is required in a party. They can aid in socketting, embedding and crafting items. They can even forge items, provided they have the available materials. They wear medium armor and have Strength as main stat.
    ==================================
    Each player can chose two heroes as their starting party. Note that rivalries between classes apply, so no Priest + Healer. Each player will gain a new hero every few turns for a maximum of 5. Each hero has it’s own stats and elvels up independently. They each have different equipment.
    All equipment slots: (shared by all classes)
    -Weapon
    -Armor
    -Boots
    -Gloves
    -Armband
    -Belt
    -Cape
    -Greaves
    -Aura
    -2 ring slots

Each class has special abilities and spells.
    Abilities:

-Stealing (chance to steal stuff from shops, decreased by Shop Protection value , which is hidden) (all ARTIFICE classes)
    -Attack of Opportunity ( chance to deal extra damage after each attack, chance to attack, to hit and damage itself derived from Artifice) (All ARTIFICE classes)
    -Poison Immunity (exactly what it says on the tin)
    -Critical Hit (chance to to insta-kill one enemy . Chance is usually low) (Monks, Barbarians, Warrior of Discord)
    -Hardiness (chance to go uncoscious instead of outright dying if defeated in a battle. ) (Barbarians)
    -Howl of Discord (happens at the beginning of each battle, damages or scares enemies) (Warrior of Discord)
    -Charm (can tame a wild beast of the following types : Varg, Hellbear, Roc, Rust Spitter, Wendingo, Bloodbear, Mountain bear, Mountain Troll, Giant Spider) (Cultist only)
    -Control (can tame a wild beast of the following types: Varg, Silver Varg, Dreadwood Varg, Hellebar, Bloodbear, Mountain Bear, Dire Bear, Giant Mountain Bear, Roc, Gryffon, Ardanian Eagle, Rust Spitter, Rust Guard, Wendingo, Sasquatch, Young Dragon, Mountain troll, Cave Troll, Giant Spider, Forest Spider , Spider King) (Beastmaster)
    -Celestial Connection (hero is revived instantly every time he dies , but each time a portion of his power is diminished - and can be recovered over time- ) (Healer)

Heroes and parties that enter cities can access different buildings:
    -Marketplace , the palce to buy basic healings, random items, junk, and magical trinkets.
    -Library, the palce to train inteligence, to learn new spells (certain classes only), and to learn schematics.
    -Magic Bazaar , where an assortment of potions can be bought.
    -Blacksmith, where basic equipment is forged for the everyday hero
    -Rogues Guild, the place where you can buy poisons, hire thugs and get quests.
    -Warrior Guild , where young warriors offer their services as bodyguards
    -Wizard’s Guild, where mages prepare potions, enchant items, and cast their powerful spells for the ehroe swho desire them.
    -Rangers’ Guild , the lcoation where young archers train and offer their services as mercenaries.
    -Temples, one for each deity, where one can pray for bonuses and get quests
    -Gambling Hall. Feeling lucky?
    -Graveyard, the burial ground for those who passed away, and good training ground for necromancers.
    -Black District, a dangerous location where you can get robbed randomly, but you can also get rare items at low prices, and a good locaiton for quests.
    -Merchant Headquarters, where one can get new quests.
    -Slums, inhabited by either gnomes or peaceful goblins. Good palce for beginner quests.
    -Palace/Keep/Fortress , where high level quests take place.
    -Guardhouses, where one can enlist for guard duty.
    -City Gate, where one can leave the city to travel to other locations.
    -Fairgrounds, where they can challenge other players to a fair fight, but noly those in the same city.
    -special amenities owned by each city, like Lormidia’s Sorceror which teleprots players anywhere for a fee, or Mayhew’s Elven Lounges where players gain important quests, or Lichfield Hollow’s Alchemist, vital for several quests. Also, look for secrets, like a legendary Workshop of a devilish Imp, which can forge unique, personalised items, or the Dwarven Blacksmith which gives easy quests for legendary items.

Hero parties will be randomly spread betwen the three major cities of the Ardanian Kingdom, Valmorgen, Mayhew and Tholaria.
    Maps:
    http://s14.postimg.org/hjx5441xt/ardania_map.png -cities
    http://s14.postimg.org/w4e7yxwwh/ardania_map_locations.png - locations

Other minor cities, like Lormidia, East Cheswick, Ravenswood, also exist.
    Smaller settlements, like Traveller’s Dell, Lichfield Hollow village, West Cheswick, Esterhausen, and Venn’s Spire also exist.
    For a little more danger, try the underground Ratman Kingdom, the Goblin Territory, the Treldan Woods, the Central Plains, and Spire Farmlands, the Esterhausen Ruins, the Abandoned Graveyard or the Timekeeper’s Caverns.
    For a normal challenge, go to the Fertile Plains, Eastern Hellfire Mountain Range, the Elven Valley, the Elven Enclave, the Dwarven Ruins and the Cheswick Hills.
    Want harder? Try joining the Battle of the Plains, or Dark Forest. The Southern Hellfire Mountains also fit in, as well as the Buried Cathedral and the Darkmoor Swamp.
    For the hardest of challenges, try the Sunken City, the Ruins of Thallis, the Gar-Uta region, then Northern and Western Hellfire Mountains, the Serpent Valley, the Dragon King’s Tomb, the Shovrah-Dan wastes or the Wastelands.
    If you want to die, attempt to enter Krolm’s Anvil, Borjin’s Ruins, the Deathspire Firest, the Dark Fortress or the “impossible” area only known as the Isle of Sydrian.(only available after a certain quest has been completed)
    ==============

There are several item rarity types.
    Broken items are usually discarded junk or overused equipment which aren’t worth the effort to carry around.
    Common items don’t have stat bonuses ( with some exceptions) and can be found in every city.
    Magical items have magical properties. Usually changing them using schematics will deteriorate the items.
    Enchanted Items are special items, quite common , but powerful, altough weaker than Magical Items, which can be further enhanced.
    Rare Items are items that are not usually seen inside a city, or may even be hand-made by the heroes themselves. Usually personalzied equipment comes with this rarity value.
    Epic items are very rare, found in harder encounters or after beating harder monsters.
    Unique Items are extremely rare. Usually, there are only a few copies left of that item, sometimes even none other than the one found.
    Set Items are part of a set which gives bonuses when completed or when more of that set are equipped.
    Legendary Items are one-of-a-kind items, known for their tremendous powers. Oftenly legends are being told about them, more or less real.
    Ancient Items are extremely old items. Very dangerous, but very powerful. Only the strongest can contain their energies without being driven mad by the power they contain.
    Royal items, while not encessarily rare or extremely pwoerful, may as well have their bonuses. Owning such items without the approval of a local lord ( Valmorgan King, Tholarian Council or the Duke of Mayhew) is illegal. They are oftenly found as quest rewards.
    Dark Items are dangerous, powerful and forbiddened items. By the time one can control such an item, you most likely won’t need your weapon and your right hand to beat the ahrdest monsters in the game. You’re definitely not walking into a city wearing those, unless mass murder is your purpose. And if you do it, then you probably don’t want to stay in the game anymore.

18. Arrow Gamer

Arrow Gamer America's Dictator

It'd be nice if you could put at least a little effort into proof reading. I mean, there's a typo in the first three lines, for Christ's sake.

19. Terrance888

The last time Chester modded, it was a troll NES meant to display the superiority of IOTs.

I suggest lynching caution.

20. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

What a pathetic, miserable little subforum