New NESes, ideas, development, etc

OK, this might get me kicked again for proposing ideas that go nowhere in the end, but, well, I had the idea and I wanted to share it.

9th century Europe gets ISOTed to a new world. The only islands that do not manage to come through are the British Islands: the Balearic Islands, Sardinia, Corsica, Sicily, Malta, the Danish islands, Gotland... come through.

The chaos of this weakens the Muslims so much that the Reconquista happens much faster. The Carolingian dynasty, instead of breaking up and withering, manage to get through and slowly, through diplomacy and war, establish a large Empire across all of the continent.

However, eventually the Empire falls and it separates in several large Kingdoms where feudalism still exists, but with a Renaissance-era technology level. Each kingdom is ruled by a family (this part would be actually developed by the players, establishing the current and deceased members, a coat of arms and a few cultural advantages and disadvantages they might have, so that the Royal Families are tailor fit to a player's tastes) and there are many nobles under them, some of which may be "hired" to join each nation's council. Each character would have several characteristics that would make him or her better at acting on something.

Yes, I know, totally cribbed from Crusader Kings, but I first thought that this could be played out a bit like A Song Of Ice And Fire, with wars between the different Kings and Lords but then, at some point, having to band together to fight an invader.

Opinions?

@ChesterBannington: In order to prevent players from being too constricted, perhaps you could allow characters to combine two classes into one?

What natural land boundries are you thinking?

Strait of Gibraltar, a line that leaves Sicily, Malta and Greece to the north, across the Strait of Marmara (only the European half of Constantinople/Bizantium would pass), then leaving Crimea to the west, and northward (more or less) until reaching the Arctic Ocean.

In summary: all of continental Europe, plus most islands that are near enough to the continent, including Scandinavia and Russia to the west of a line that would go from the Caucasus (approximately) to the Arctic Ocean.

@ChesterBannington: In order to prevent players from being too constricted, perhaps you could allow characters to combine two classes into one?

The tier 1 classes and 2 of the tier 2 classes are from the original game. All the other classes are combinations of the original classes.

Time to tell you about my idea: I was thinking of doing a NES in space, a combination of Sci-Fi and Crimson Skies. So here's a brief summary of information I have so far.

Came a time when the Earth is overcrowded and we started to develop new technologies to colonize planets in distant clusters of galaxies. We develop technologies such as warp drive, jump drive and materialization (Teleportation)... :scan:

The concept is simple: we create some ships with this variation of technology and tried to colonize this cluster of galaxies. All would occur well, until the point where the Earth Federation would be weakened politically and economically leading to an almost total separation of its territory in several new Governments and federations. This would give an opportunity for pirates, internal and external conflicts etc.

But as I have null experience in NES, wouldn't know how to manage, whether it was a player controlling a Federation or even a group of pirates or even a simple pilot. :D

Sorry, I'm sick, using Bing to translate. So, if you find any errors, is not my fault. :cry:

The concept is simple: we create some ships with this variation of technology and tried to colonize this cluster of galaxies.
The Milky Way would take Humans at least a few thousand years to colonize.

Very simple population growth model: A=pe^rt

p = 7,100,000,000 Humans

r = 0.01 (1% annual growth rate)

t = 2000 years

A = 3,400,000,000,000,000,000 Humans (3.4 quintillion)

Current estimates are between 8 and 20 billion (8,000,000,000–20,000,000,000) habitable planets in the Milky Way.

That is 425,000,000–1,700,000,000 people per planet.

Given the likely increase in density capacity and additional habitats, it would take Humanity at least 2,500 years to probably fill the Milky Way, with no population bottlenecks, and Earth would long since have ceased to be relevant.

e: After 50,000 years, this would be just shy of 1E227 Humans, with there being approximately 2E23 (500,000,000,000 galaxies x 400,000,000,000 stars each) stars in the observable universe, meaning there'd be 5E203 Humans per star (i.e., >googol² Humans per star). This is both amusing, and among other things, yet another reason Mass Effect is a total pile of crap. (Statistically at some point over several billion years a species would've arisen just after a Reaper cleansing, as Humanity almost did, and the Yahg were poised to do, and owned the Reapers through pure numbers.) Don't mess with compound interest. But that's neither here nor there.

More to the point, there is literally no reason at all for any NES on any scale modern Humans can even remotely comprehend to take place in more than one galaxy, and even that's probably way too large a scope.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am up for a NESlife right now. :)

Since I started my new job, my social life picked up, and I had the realisation that most of the NES community has nothing for me but indifference and simmering contempt, my modding motivation has sunk to new lows... Nonetheless, I've been thinking about updating my NESLife for my own amusement. I've had an update sitting on my computer almost-complete for some time in fact. I got stuck re-writing the update text several times, trying to find a balance between short and concise and grand unifying narrative... Same old story.

e: After 50,000 years, this would be just shy of 1E227 Humans, with there being approximately 2E23 (500,000,000,000 galaxies x 400,000,000,000 stars each) stars in the observable universe, meaning there'd be 5E203 Humans per star (i.e., >googol² Humans per star). This is both amusing, and among other things, yet another reason Mass Effect is a total pile of crap. (Statistically at some point over several billion years a species would've arisen just after a Reaper cleansing, as Humanity almost did, and the Yahg were poised to do, and owned the Reapers through pure numbers.) Don't mess with compound interest. But that's neither here nor there.

That's a very good point that I think Sci-Fi misses - the insane ramping up of scales once a sentient species is able to access to those kind of resources for even a thousand years or so.

More to the point, there is literally no reason at all for any NES on any scale modern Humans can even remotely comprehend to take place in more than one galaxy, and even that's probably way too large a scope.

A God NES - competing singularities of ascended consciousness playing at seeding and nurturing a new wave of physical life-forms across the cosmos.

Immaculate said:
whoa nelly! Where did that come from?

Yes I'm talking about Neptune's Pride... but that was just the catalyst and the revealer. Turns out several people are holding bitter grudges on me for stuff that happened in old NESes - games I only sent one order set for and dropped out. And most of the rest of these people are just sociapaths anyway: the generation of traumatised and angst-riddled youth coming out of today's high school environment...

Yes I'm talking about Neptune's Pride... but that was just the catalyst and the revealer. Turns out several people are holding bitter grudges on me for stuff that happened in old NESes - games I only sent one order set for and dropped out. And most of the rest of these people are just sociapaths anyway: the generation of traumatised and angst-riddled youth coming out of today's high school environment...

... most of the NES community has nothing for me but indifference and simmering contempt...

Ummmm.... no. Still love you Daft please continue creating/updating NESes

...I had the realisation that most of the NES community has nothing for me but indifference and simmering contempt...

Whoa! :eek: I think you are vastly underestimating how much the NES community likes you, Daft! Personally you are one of my favorite NESers here, and I think that may be true for most of the forum.

Sure some people back-stabbed you in Neptune's Pride, but it is just a game, wherein most people get wiped out anyway. I think you just had a run of bad luck in that game where almost all of your alliance members were powerless to help you against Tuna, and even if they did help you in some regard, it would have made little to no difference in the overall scheme of things.

Why even bother with such thoughts? There will always be people to dislike something, even if it is as great as you.

Since I started my new job, my social life picked up, and I had the realisation that most of the NES community has nothing for me but indifference and simmering contempt, my modding motivation has sunk to new lows...
:eek:

There was a reason I didn't join that game! :o We absolutely have to decouple what happens in Neptune's Pride from what goes on outside of it. I don't think anyone holds a bitter grudge against you, and I think you have a quite positive reputation here. That said, it's not very fair to dismiss your fellow NESers as angsty sociopaths.

I think you're a very valuable and unique contributor the community, and you've run some of this forum's most renowned NESes. I'd be very upset to see you leave, we'd lose an awful lot without you.

The situation I described is also, of course, impossible, because your average star like the Sun masses 1.9E30 kg, so Humans would outmass stars by a ridiculous quantity. Indeed, there are only somewhere between 4E78 and 6E79 atoms in the observable universe, so to maintain that growth rate you'd have to cannibalize all the matter in several observable-universe sized volumes.

A God NES - competing singularities of ascended consciousness playing at seeding and nurturing a new wave of physical life-forms across the cosmos.
That would be so abstract and wildly out of scale as to be less a game and more a collective world-building exercise with a layer of roleplaying slapped on top of it.

Since I started my new job, my social life picked up, and I had the realisation that most of the NES community has nothing for me but indifference and simmering contempt, my modding motivation has sunk to new lows... Nonetheless, I've been thinking about updating my NESLife for my own amusement. I've had an update sitting on my computer almost-complete for some time in fact. I got stuck re-writing the update text several times, trying to find a balance between short and concise and grand unifying narrative... Same old story.

Wait, what? I hold no simmering contempt! I may be a high schooler, but I'm not a traumatized angst-ridden sociopath. Also, what is NESLife? I haven't been here long enough to know.

NESLife is to biology what NES is to history. It's an alternative evolution game, somewhat inspired by what many of us hoped that Spore would have been.

Spoiler NESLife VI Organisms :

Daftpanzer has run several of them, and is currently operating NESLife V, while I ran (and hope to someday resume) NESLife VI. TerrisH, I believe, ran a NESLife VII but it was kind of weird thing that didn't really get off the ground.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom