Obama explains his new plan for NASA

Winner

Diverse in Unity
I watched his speech in Florida streamed on BBC yesterday. Here's what he talked about plus my comments :) If you want to get more info, see THIS ARTICLE.

1) He wants NASA to develop a heavy-lift rockets. Design phase should end by 2015 and the rocket should fly by ~2020.

-> Well, the good thing is he recognizes the need for a HLV. What I am not so sure of is the strategy. Today, the US has a lot of systems which could be modified for use on many different HLV designs. In fact, Constellation counted with using many Shuttle technologies. If NASA terminates all that and waits 5 years until a completely new design is finalized, I think the final development costs will soar.

2) He wants to convert Orion spacecraft into a "lifeboat". It would essentially be unmanned capsule launched by normal rocket, attached to the ISS and then sit there doing nothing just in order to maintain the ability to escape the ISS in case something went wrong on American ship.

-> This was one of the :shake: moments. What's the purpose of this - there are two Soyuz spacecraft docked to the ISS at every time. There is no need for an additional crew escape vehicle - especially a vehicle which won't be used to actually launch astronauts or do anything but block one docking port for months. Of course these will have to be regularly replaced for Gods-know how much and the benefit of having them there will be exactly ZERO.
Obama said he wants to use these capsules as technology demonstrators, which sounds pretty funny to me - what will the demonstrate? The ability to stay docked to the space station of a year? :crazyeye:
I think he got scared by the backlash against his initial proposal, so he's trying to sell this as a continuation of the Constellation Orion. That's ridiculous because if I understand this correctly, this new ship will be a castrated, gutted version of Orion which will be totally useless and the Americans will still have to rely on the Russians for crew transport (unless some commercial company magically fills the gap in just few years).

3) He said that around 2025, there will be first deep space (=beyond the Moon) missions, possibly to an asteroid.

-> Sounds good. Unfortunately, I am pretty sceptical about the value of going to NEOs (near-Earth objects). Sure, we want to know what the asteroids are made of, what's their internal structure, how they behave, all sorts of things, but I suspect this is not why they were chosen as a destination. The real reason is, most probably, that they're pretty easy to reach from Earth orbit. The delta-V requirements are very low so you can get to them without any new, fancy propulsion systems.
Still, such a mission will take many months and the crew will suffer of prolonged weightlessness and radiation. I guess these crews will be guinea pigs - used to test technologies allowing deep space travel.

4) He dashed all hopes of returning to the Moon. He actually used the phrase "we've already been [there]".

-> This is insane. He could just as well have said "we won't get back to the Moon, not because we can't, but because it's hard." It's pretty short-sighted not just because he'll essentially be leaving the Moon to others (whoever comes first to take advantage of it), but because practically all of the "deep space" technologies can be tested on the Moon - which is far closer to the Earth and offers short to mid-term tangible benefits for further space travel (I explained these benefits in other threads).

5) He wants the first Mars-orbit mission in around 2035.

-> Clarification: this won't include landing on Mars. In other words, few people will spend about 8 months in space travelling to Mars, spending some time in orbit around it enjoying the view and then suffer another 8 month trip back home. I wonder what the scientific value in this is supposed to be.
When I watched news this morning, the journalists as usual misinterpreted this and said that Obama wants people on Mars by 2035. That's not true - he clearly said that actual landing won't happen until after 2035, without being more specific about when this could happen. Could be 2036, could be 2066, nobody knows.

6) He didn't say a word about international involvement and cooperation with other agencies, nothing, nada, nichts. On the other hand, he ended the speech with "God bless America".

-> I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad :crazyeye: Americans could stop deluding themselves and reach out to other agencies and together forge a real and ambitious plan for space exploration. Instead, they want to do everything alone with limited resources and expect the others to blindly follow their lead regardless of their own plans and interests.

----

Well, as I said before, I'll be glad if I live long enough to see human landing on Mars. My personal guess is that it won't happen until after 2040, probably after 2050. By then the Earth's civilization will be collapsing due to overpopulation and complete environmental exhaustion, so I hope the visitors place some kind of time capsule there in order to let the potential extraterrestrial visitors know that we've actually managed to crawl out of the cradle before we died.

USA#1

We strive to WANT to be the first! Not no one else :smug:.

Well, as I said before, I'll be glad if I live long enough to see human landing on Mars. My personal guess is that it won't happen until after 2040, probably after 2050. By then the Earth's civilization will be collapsing due to overpopulation and complete environmental exhaustion, so I hope the visitors place some kind of time capsule there to explain the potential extraterrestrial visitors that we've actually managed to craw out of the cradle before we died.

That's a bit appocalyptic isn't it? I'm sure that civilisation isn't about to collapse during our lifetime.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad :crazyeye: Americans ...want to do everything alone with limited resources and expect the others to blindly follow their lead regardless of their own plans and interests.

I enjoyed to read and agree with everything you wrote except this last part. I'd say Americans really don't want to do space at all anymore.

President Clinton made the "Mars speech" nearly twenty years ago, but he provided no funding (Our government is infamous for "unfunded mandates"). And Bush43 made the Mars speech about eight years ago - then actually cut NASA's funding! Last year President Obama made the mars speech, and is now presiding over the dismantling of the manned space program in America. Not only allowing the shuttle program to expire, but cancelling the follow up program and making promises to return to space decades down the road - long after he's gone.

Remember he's a politician - how do you know he's lying - his lips are moving! Whenever there's a crisis he makes a speech.

That's a bit appocalyptic isn't it? I'm sure that civilisation isn't about to collapse during our lifetime.

That is off topic, but I am sure he meant that most of the world will be collapsing due to enviromental exhaustin, not that Human Civilization would end.

BTW, to Obama's defence I must say that it's not his fault there is a gap between the end of Shuttle Programme and its successor and it would be unfair to blame him for it.

A short reply to that would be no.

The problem is it's dragging it feet because it's chronically underfunded. Even if Obama gets his thing going, someone else will kill it when he gets to the White House.

Short sighted to say the least. Space should be getting substantial support even if only for its military utility.

The saddest thing is that with proper funding and worldwide cooperation, we could go to Mars in 10-15 years if we right now decided we want to do that.

Yeah, there is this persistent myth that we don't have the technology. I always wonder what are all these people talking about - what technology don't we have? In theory, we have everything. Of course it would take some time to develop practical applications (NERVA, radiation shielding, closed system recycling, etc.), but there is nothing that needs to be invented from scratch.

I am really disappointed that Obama didn't try to capitalize on his international credentials. If he threw his weight behind a reasonable proposal, I am sure all other major space agencies would listen. Then an agreement involving real cooperation on long-term exploration of space could be made.

Winner said:
The saddest thing is that with proper funding and worldwide cooperation, we could go to Mars in 10-15 years if we right now decided we want to do that.

Sure but do we really need to? I mean, I can see the long term benefits of regular contact with Mars be it in the form of say: a colony or whatever. But I wonder if that's better achieved gradually. My worry with targeting something so specific is that once its achieved where do you go from there? We've already had that problem with the Moon. In the international race to do cool stuff in space America ultimately won by going as far as was technically feasible at the time. The problem was that it inadvertently ended the race by bumping up against our technical limits at the time. And that's where the popular consciousness has been stuck since. There's no longer a race and the public at large can't muster the interest to look at the TV enough to justify space travel as even a prestige project.

Winner said:
Yeah, there is this persistent myth that we don't have the technology. I always wonder what are all these people talking about - what technology don't we have? In theory, we have everything. Of course it would take some time to develop practical applications (NERVA, radiation shielding, closed system recycling, etc.), but there is nothing that needs to be invented from scratch.

We went to the moon with the computational power of a gameboy, apparently. I'm not sure if that's true but its illustrative of just how far we have advanced since then. Mars is going to be harder but its not a question of magnitude just degree now, really.

Winner said:
I am really disappointed that Obama didn't try to capitalize on his international credentials. If he threw his weight behind a reasonable proposal, I am sure all other major space agencies would listen. Then an agreement involving real cooperation on long-term exploration of space could be made.

That would have been the optimal solution. I, for one, love the idea of reaching Mars. An international mission encompassing nations the world over would be possibly the coolest way of achieving that. But that's probably a pipe-dream on our part.

4) He dashed all hopes of returning to the Moon. He actually used the phrase "we've already been [there]".

-> This is insane. He could just as well have said "we won't get back to the Moon, not because we can't, but because it's hard." It's pretty short-sighted not just because he'll essentially be leaving the Moon to others (whoever comes first to take advantage of it), but because practically all of the "deep space" technologies can be tested on the Moon - which is far closer to the Earth and offers short to mid-term tangible benefits for further space travel (I explained these benefits in other threads).

He did? I seem to remember reading somewhere yesterday that the U.S. is still planning to get back to the moon in 15 years or so. Wish I still had the article open so I could paste.

Overall, here's what I think of Obama's vision for the future of the American space flight: I LIKE IT! Constellation being cancelled kinda sucks, but Obama's overall vision appears to be realistic as well as somewhat ambitious.

In the end, NASA's funding is going up by quite a bit, when most other agencies are looking at slashed funding..

why the hell do we need to shoot a human on mars?

Because humans can do about 1000 times more things in one trip than 1000 robots in 1000 years? Because it's in human nature to feel the urge to visit new places, instead of merely watching them from distance? Because we need to actually explore the place in person before we can establish colonies?

It's really a non-question.

I'm barracking for India

Good, they'll need it (whatever it means): Indian rocket flops, crashing into sea (I hope it works better when they actually put people on top of it.)

He did? I seem to remember reading somewhere yesterday that the U.S. is still planning to get back to the moon in 15 years or so. Wish I still had the article open so I could paste.

Overall, here's what I think of Obama's vision for the future of the American space flight: I LIKE IT! Constellation being cancelled kinda sucks, but Obama's overall vision appears to be realistic as well as somewhat ambitious.

I am afraid that all the elements that could be liked will eventually get the axe too.

In the end, NASA's funding is going up by quite a bit, when most other agencies are looking at slashed funding..

Depends on how you're looking at it. In relative terms, NASA's budget is getting smaller every year.

Top Bottom