1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Quick Questions and Answers

1. Unikornus

Unikornus Chieftain

Mmmm so if I had a trader parked in Fukushima, he would have been able to trade with Toronto since they shared the same land mass?

2. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

yes

3. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

In that case I think the Settler just isn't doing anything at the moment. Once the AI is like "I should settle a city", it will start moving the settler.

Not exactly optimal behaviour, but as far as I know that's basically how the AI works.

4. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Do apostles with the chaplain promotion heal other apostles, or just military units?

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I'm not certain, but from the way it is worded on the civilization wiki page ("An apostle with this promotion operates as a medic"), I would assume only military units. Maybe you can just try it out. At worst you got one essentially unpromoted apostle.

6. Ozymandias9891

Ozymandias9891 Warlord

Does the 25% less war weariness of the Martial Law policy card stack with that of Propaganda? I would imagine they do given that they're both modern era policies...

7. LobstaBoy

LobstaBoy Chieftain

Hi. When playing as the moguls, assuming spies, alliances and printing are not yet available - what is the highest level of visibility one can get?
    Bonus question: once I declare war how many turns will the + combat bonus last?
    I searched Google and looked here for answers, sorry if I missed it . Thanks.

8. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

1. Delegation will give one level of visibility. (LOST when declaring war)
    2. Trade route will give one level of visibility. (LOST when declaring war)
    3. Trading post will give one level of visibility. (REMAINS when declaring war)

So the maximum, assuming no printing or spies (or alliances, which are obviously also not in place when at war) is limited visibility, which gives +6 combat strength (+3 if you are another civilization than the Mongols, but they don't have the Trading Post bonus, so they wouldn't get anything and have to rely on printing and spies).

The combat bonus remains as long as visibility level stays the same.

Also, remember that the combat bonus is the difference in visibility level. So if you have a trading post plus a spy, but the enemy is Catherine de Medici with a spy but also printing, you have Open Access towards her (level 2), but she has Secret Access towards you (level 3), so she gets a +3 bonus and you get nothing. Of course, Catherine de Medici and Genghis Khan are the only leaders who can get beyond Open Access while at war.

LobstaBoy likes this.
  9. LobstaBoy

LobstaBoy Chieftain

@Leyrann thank you! Explained perfectly.

10. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Just finished my first Rise & Fall game. Three quick questions regarding the 'Era Score'.
    1. As I was progressing toward the first era (think it's 12 pts.) my era score reached 11. I then noticed the number turned red a few turns later. What did that indicate? Time running out?
    2. What contributes to the next era's count (turn) down?
    3. In the 'Era Score' screen the 'Turns Until Next Era' reads something like 25 - 45. The 45 is the turns until next era. What does the value before the turns remaining indicate?
    Thanks!

11. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

1. It turns red once the 10 turn countdown timer starts, assuming you do not yet have enough points for a normal age.
    2. Don't quote me on this (I'm not sure anyone knows the exact details) but I believe it has to do primarily with the average technology and civic level from the civilizations in the game, within certain limits.
    3. 25 - 45 is the amount of turns it can take before the next era starts. This is the limit for a new era, meaning that it cannot start in less than 25 turns (no matter the technology level) and cannot start in more than 45 turns (again no matter the technology level). You always get the countdown 10 turns in advance, of course.

12. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Thx, Leyrann!

13. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

Playing a game as Shaka. Attila is my neighbor and he declares a surprise war on me.
    He has a +6 that says Intel on Opponents Movements what is this and how do I make it go away?

I've read that it means I have accepted a delegation but that is supposed to go away when he declares war. However we are in the middle of a war and he's got such an advantage he's one shoting just about everything he comes into contact with.
    Playing on Emperor if that matters.

14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

That's Genghis Khan, not Atilla.

Anyways, it means he has more Diplomatic Visibility on you than you on him. Normally, that means +3 combat strength per level difference, but Genghis has +6 per level difference from his unique ability. In this case, it likely comes from him having a Trading Post in one of your cities - gaining diplomatic visibility from that is another part of his unique ability.

To counter it, you need to raise your diplomatic visibility on him by one level, either through researching Printing or by assigning a spy in one of his cities to the Listening Post mission. If you can't do either because it's too early in the game, I'm afraid you're out of luck and will have to fight an uphill battle.

If he one shots what you have, however, I doubt you're going to be able to do much even if you manage to raise your visibility level, as you'll likely still be at a severe strength disadvantage. Sounds to me like your best bet is to build walls and ranged units and just try to keep your cities and slowly kills his armies from inside those cities, unless you have a religion that doesn't have a Follower Belief yet, then you can pick Defender of the Faith (assuming no AI took it yet) to get +10 combat strength for all your units while inside the territory of cities following your religion.

15. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

Hey thanks.
    Yes you are correct it's Genghis.
    Great advice all around.
    I've never given any of that a second thought until now.

16. tedhebert

tedhebert King

Hi guys... quick question... I've joined in the GOTM for the first time, but on the GOTM forum, I see annoucements, opening actions and after actions reports, but I can't seem to find the 'results and congratulations' thread anywhere...it's mentioned in the annoucement thread that there will be one, but I don't see any... What am I missing ?

thx

17. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

18. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Warlord

Is there any way to see how many turns are left of the 100% production bonus earned by Australia for liberating a city or being subject to a declaration of war?

19. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I believe there isn't. It's 20 turns on standard speed right? If it's 10 turns it would be the same as the amount of turns until you can make peace again.

20. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Warlord

10 turns from a DOW and 20 turns for liberating a city. I’ve been writing the turn time for both on a post-it note, but thought there might be something in game I was missing.