How is the +20 % AI Combat XP on Emperor calculated? Is it added to the base XP value before the Barracks bonus kicks in? And is it not rounded e.g. from 3.6 to 4? That's interesting.

Interesting question. I doubt anyone knows, maybe best to make a thread about it?

Interesting question. I doubt anyone knows, maybe best to make a thread about it?
Well, I remembered that I have never seen unrounded XP numbers popping, so I think 3.6 does turn to 4. Also, I tend to assume the AI combat XP bonus applies to the base value and then the Barracks bonus kicks in.
So that makes an AI melee unit's attack yield 4 XP while the player still gets 3 XP for such attack. Also, the AI melee unit's attacking a city will yield 6 XP while the player's same action gives 5 XP. A slight advantage.

Last edited:
How do alliances work in R&F ?

After establishing an alliance,
can you change its type ?
do alliances last a certain number of turns or forever unless cancelled ?
can you cancel it and form that type of alliance with another civ ?
does one allied civ entering a war cause the other allied civ to enter a war with that same civ too ?
how do alliances effect warmonger penalties ?
how do defensive pacts work ?

Last edited:
How do alliances work in R&F ?

After establishing an alliance,
can you change its type ?
do alliances last a certain number of turns or forever unless cancelled ?
can you cancel it and form that type of alliance with another civ ?
does one allied civ entering a war cause the other allied civ to enter a war with that same civ too ?
how do alliances effect warmonger penalties ?
how do defensive pacts work ?

1. You can change the type whenever you renew the alliance.
2. They last as long as they did in vanilla.
3. You cannot cancel it, but you can change types once it runs out.
4. Alliances are defensive pacts: If your ally gets declared war upon, you are automatically at war with that civ too.
5. Uncertain. I suppose the same reduction as it gave in vanilla.
6. Answered in 4.

If anything is unclear I can elaborate.

So you level up an alliance type after finishing it so if you renew you get another level of bonus right ?

If you renew alliance but with a different type, do you still get the benefits of the previous level you made on the other type of alliance ?

1. You can change the type whenever you renew the alliance.
2. They last as long as they did in vanilla.
3. You cannot cancel it, but you can change types once it runs out.
4. Alliances are defensive pacts: If your ally gets declared war upon, you are automatically at war with that civ too.
5. Uncertain. I suppose the same reduction as it gave in vanilla.
6. Answered in 4.

If anything is unclear I can elaborate.

So you level up an alliance type after finishing it so if you renew you get another level of bonus right ?

If you renew alliance but with a different type, do you still get the benefits of the previous level you made on the other type of alliance ?

You level up an alliance after achieving a certain amount of alliance points. Standard you get 1 point per turn, but having a trade route adds .25 to it, the same happens when your ally has a trade route, there's at least one policy that speeds it up, etc. I believe you can at least get to 2 points per turn. On standard speed, you need 80 turns to get to level 2, and I don't know exactly how much to get to level 3 (you can find it in the Alliances tab in the diplomacy screen when you're at level 2).

Alliance levels are per civilization, not per alliance, so if you have a level 2 Research Alliance with a civ, and it runs out, you can renew it as a level 2 Economic Alliance, if you want.

My first golden age in R&F let me buy civilian units with faith, I wonder what else one can possibly buy with faith on R&F other than religious units and buildings, great people, warrior monks.

Do all ages of the same type allow you to choose the same bonuses or do the bonuses change from age to age ?

My first golden age in R&F let me buy civilian units with faith, I wonder what else one can possibly buy with faith on R&F other than religious units and buildings, great people, warrior monks.

Do all ages of the same type allow you to choose the same bonuses or do the bonuses change from age to age ?

The bonuses change from age to age, but typically appear multiple times.

As for buying with faith:
Religious units (including Warrior Monks) and naturalists cannot be produced and can only be purchased with faith (so faith is essential for them).
Religious buildings can be purchased with faith in addition to producting them and, if I remember correctly (I may be mistaken here though) can also be purchased by gold.
Great People can be purchased with faith or gold, or acquired over time.
Civilian units can be purchased with faith (in addition to producing them or buying them with gold) if you have the Monumentality Golden Age Dedication.
Military units can be purchased with faith (in addition to producing them or buying them with gold) if you have the Theocracy government.
Walls can be purchased with faith (but not gold, just like they normally cannot be purchased) if you are the Suzerain of Valetta.

Also city center buildings - Granary, Water Mill, & Monument.

Sewers as well, I suppose? I never really cared about faith pre-R&F and I haven't had a free Valetta in my games since.

How can you implement a domination win when every time you capture a capital it soon becomes a free city, sometimes after one turn, maybe because I have so many (unhappy) cities? It take a lot of troops to keep taking them back again, and if you raze captured non-capital cities to reduce the unhappiness you get a severe warmonger penalty.

How can you implement a domination win when every time you capture a capital it soon becomes a free city, sometimes after one turn, maybe because I have so many (unhappy) cities? It take a lot of troops to keep taking them back again, and if you raze captured non-capital cities to reduce the unhappiness you get a severe warmonger penalty.

Hi... it's one of the interesting thing added with R&F... Yes it has become harder to go on the warpath with the expansion, but not really impossible...

here are a few suggestions from an average player ;-)

1) Don't ever try to go on a capture spree if you are in a dark age... it becomes almost impossible
2) When preparing your attacks, make sure that you take 2 or even 3 cities close by within 1-2 turn... it will help a lot for the loyalty trouble
3) be flexible on governor movement. It's not really fun to have governors lose 5 turns everytime you take new cities, but they really really help on the loyalty establishing
4) A lot of people on the forums have been saying that Victor is the worse governor... It IS true that his abilities are very underwhelming because you rarely need to defend your cities anyways, but he is very useful for
domination victory because he only takes 3 rounds to establish himself
5) Finally, in the past I've mostly used a domination strategy that consisted often in taking smaller, side cities from a civ, and working myself in... that has proved more difficult nowto me because of the loyalty problem... I find
that sometimes it is now better to aim for the city with the largest population that is still not in the middle of 4-5 other cities not belonging to me...
6) Also try to leave a garrison unit (lowest cost one) in the new cities you conquer, at least until that city has stabilized itself... the garrisoned unit will give you +2 loyalty, more with certain bonuses

I'm sure that better players will have other suggestions, but I hope these help you out

How does one turn off the leader animations?

If I switch Gov Liang from a city where all the eligible coast squares have been populated with fishing boats to another city, will the original city lose those fishing boats? They were only there because of her Aquaculture promotion.

Does anyone know where to find the "Unit Stacking" mod that allowed 3 units/tile? I don't play the game through Steam so I cannot use the mod in the workshop

Top Bottom