Have your spies been captured? You must buy them out from the AI, if this was the case. Captured spies still use up their slots, but are being held prisoners by the AIs who captured them.
Even if your first spies were captured, you still get new spy slots by new technologies.

On a tangent to your spy convo but this may be the best place to ask.

I have a city, but it has a border 5 tiles away rather than the usual 3. Any idea why that might be? Playing as Victoria on Vanila (on the Switch) , I never used a Great Person that gains you tiles and I haven't knowingly done anything to gain tiles for that city. I can get screenshot but is a bit of a pain because its on the Switch so will do it on request.

Also, same game, it seems whenever I build a naval unit, I get two. Any thoughts on why. I've checked all my Suzereign bonuses and it's not one of those.

Thanks.

Maximum radius is 5, not 3. You only can work 3 though. But you get the resources and (I think) tourism from the outer ones if you put improvements there.

I have a city, but it has a border 5 tiles away rather than the usual 3. Any idea why that might be? Playing as Victoria on Vanila (on the Switch) , I never used a Great Person that gains you tiles and I haven't knowingly done anything to gain tiles for that city. I can get screenshot but is a bit of a pain because its on the Switch so will do it on request.

Also, same game, it seems whenever I build a naval unit, I get two. Any thoughts on why. I've checked all my Suzereign bonuses and it's not one of those.

Thanks.

All cities expand to 5 radius but like the poster before said, you can only work 3. Luxuries and strategic resources still count in the 5 radius.

Double naval units is from Venetian Arsenal wonder.

If the World Congress has banned certain GP points, does this mean you won't get them from projects as well? (I know you can still buy the GP with faith/gold)

The city has two dams. Why can't I build the second Hydro Plant?

And just in case the devs notice, I'll ask again: why on Earth does Hydro plant not have a regional effect (aka providing power to cities in range)?

You probably built (or annexed) Venetian arsenal World wonder.

People, how I change, er, zoom? I used to think it is by mouse wheel, but doesn't work for me now. Is there a key? Or did I miss some menu?

Thanks for your answer re 5 tile cities and double naval units; when I read it I remembered building the Venetian Arsenal, but with all the different attributes for everything it must have pushed it out of my memory!

The city has two dams. Why can't I build the second Hydro Plant?

And just in case the devs notice, I'll ask again: why on Earth does Hydro plant not have a regional effect (aka providing power to cities in range)?

Pretty sure I read that you can only build one hydro per river, which is why you're not able to build the second one.

If you're asking for the reason why they won't let you... I don't know, maybe they thought it would be OP or in their heads it doesn't make sense to be able to use hydro twice on the same water?
Providing electricity as a regional effect could be good.

Is there a way that you can change the amount of turns it takes to do research/civics, but keep build times the same?

I tend to find that I plow through all the research pretty quickly, then spend a lot of time in the final Information Age finishing the game (when doing the Domination Victory for example). I did try Marathon speed, but because everything took so long to build etc I got frustrated. It'd be nice to be able to pace out the upgrades etc a a bit morend still build stuff at normal speed.

Thanks for your answer re 5 tile cities and double naval units; when I read it I remembered building the Venetian Arsenal, but with all the different attributes for everything it must have pushed it out of my memory!

Pretty sure I read that you can only build one hydro per river, which is why you're not able to build the second one.

If you're asking for the reason why they won't let you... I don't know, maybe they thought it would be OP or in their heads it doesn't make sense to be able to use hydro twice on the same water?
Providing electricity as a regional effect could be good.

If I have two dams, that means I have two rivers :D But I can only build one hydro plant anyway...

Another question re exp.

Certain Great People, when retired, provide +XX% exp. What exactly does this mean? I could interpret it in the following ways, and let's say its +50% for illustrative purposes:
  1. That unit for the next battle will get 50% extra exp (so if they would have gotten 4exp, they'll get 6exp instead) then return to normal.
  2. That unit will, until death/end of the game, get 50% extra exp in every battle they fight.
  3. That unit will get a one off bonus that is equal to 50% of its current exp level (if it has 20exp right now, it will receive a bonus of 10exp). I dontthinkmitsnthis one but thought I'd include it anyway.
Also with spies, how does "Listening Post" work?
  1. Does it actually raise your ability to see what they're doing, or is it that there's an invisible meter and it just increments that meter?
  2. How does doing it multiple times work? If I do it more than once, does the second time still contribute? Can I do it multiple times in one city and still have it be effective, or do I have to do it just once in a city, then move to another city and do it there too?
  3. How long does if last? Is it indefinite?

.That unit will, until death/end of the game, get 50% extra exp in every battle they fight.
This, I suppose.
Does it actually raise your ability to see what they're doing
It gives +3 to all your military and religious units against theirs, that's all I care about,
How long does if last?
As long as your spy keep listening.

What happens during war when you are building encampment and enemy unit is stationed on that very tile on turn when it is completed ? Enemy gets teleported, encampment auto destroyded, encampment not finished?

Last edited:
What happens during war when you are building encampment and enemy unit is stationed on that very tile on turn when it is completed ? Enemy gets teleported, encampment auto destroyded, encampment not finished?
Enemy get teleported. evidently,
Not if I saw this, but I saw million times how enemy units were teleported from territory of just freed city state - and it's just the same,

A barbarian will get stuck there forever (until killed), not sure about the enemy.

So I notice on screenshots that areas and things like lakes get names (for example if you go on the funny screenshots thread, there's a lake called 'Lake Disappointment', is there an option for this or is it just that the Switch versoon of the game can't do it?

So I notice on screenshots that areas and things like lakes get names (for example if you go on the funny screenshots thread, there's a lake called 'Lake Disappointment', is there an option for this or is it just that the Switch versoon of the game can't do it?
On the PC version there is an option in the games menu, I forgot which one specifically, might be graphics, to display names of lakes, rivers, mountains, etc. I would imagine this should be available on the Switch. But 'Lake Disappointment' sounds like someone renamed it. I don't know if there is a standard option for renaming geographic features or if it requires a mod.

On the PC version there is an option in the games menu, I forgot which one specifically, might be graphics, to display names of lakes, rivers, mountains, etc. I would imagine this should be available on the Switch. But 'Lake Disappointment' sounds like someone renamed it. I don't know if there is a standard option for renaming geographic features or if it requires a mod.

It's under map options, I think.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Disappointment :D

Top Bottom