1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Quick Questions and Answers

1. phipfwe76

phipfwe76 Chieftain

Does anyone know why I can't build a National Park here? I think all requirements are met.

Vertical diamond
    All tiles are breathtaking
    Built on a world wonder
    No improvements on any tile

2. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

Picture isn't working?

3. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

All tiles belong to same city? Can't see the picture, but usually the problem is this.
    Or... "Built on a world wonder" - well, you can't do any improvement on a world wonder, national park included.

4. phipfwe76

phipfwe76 Chieftain

Okay, that's my problem. I though including the Dead Sea within the tiles was fine. I guess it's NEXT to a world wonder.

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Including the Dead Sea is fine, as that's a Natural Wonder, not a World Wonder. Perhaps you can attempt to post the screenshot again? EDIT: For convenience, you might want to include a screenshot using the Empire lens, as it shows which city owns each tile.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  6. phipfwe76

phipfwe76 Chieftain

Yes, that's what I meant. Okay, lets try this again. You can see all 4 tiles are within my Australian border, 2 of which are a natural wonder, which makes the other tiles breathtaking since they touch:

7. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Can you build a national park over water?

8. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

No you cannot. Does the dead sea count as coast or lake (mouse over to see, I'm not sure)? Then that's the reason. Otherwise it could still be what was mentioned earlier: all the 4 hexes that make up a national park must belong to the same city. Do they in your case?

Leyrann likes this.
  9. phipfwe76

phipfwe76 Chieftain

That's the answer. I didn't realize it had to be within the same CITY. I assumed since I owned all the territory it didn't matter.

Man, these things are hard to find a place for.

10. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

I use the 'more lenses' mod for that.It's a UI mod that gives a bunch of extra lensen, among which one that helps you find a good spot for a national park. I also love the worker lens that helps you see instantly what the tiles are that can use an improvement. I really recommend using it (if you're on PC that is).

11. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Does deforestation take into account new growth? Can a player plant trees to reduce it?

12. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

How late in the game can you found a religion?

13. Stylianos

Stylianos Chieftain

I think that Great Prophets cannot be recruited after the Renaissance Era.

But if you have one you may find a religion any time you want !

Ondolindë likes this.
  14. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

You cannot recruit a Great Prophet from Industrial Era onwards.
    There a limited number of Great Prophets available, so if everyone is scrambling for them you may not be able to get one even if you're still in the Ancient Era.

If you particularly want a religion of gour own for any reason, you'll best be served by getting one as early as possible.

Ondolindë likes this.
  15. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Note that Great People cannot disappear. Once the world is in the Industrial Era, no new Great Prophet can take the Great Prophet slot when one is recruited, but they won't disappear otherwise. Typically, they will be gone relatively quickly because a lot of AIs tend to focus on religion (don't count on getting one if you don't have one by the end of the Classical Era), however if you play with a reduced amount of civilizations, you may find that there are enough Great Prophets available that every civilization can get one, in which case you can recruit them however quickly or slowly you want. In my last game I was in either Industrial or Modern Era, and technologically and culturally further than that, when I recruited a Great Prophet and founded a religion, simply because no AI could recruit the last one.

agonistes likes this.
  16. switchyswitch

switchyswitch Chieftain

I need a ELI5, I'm new. What good is generating culture if you are not going for a culture victory, for instance? I think it may have some affect on loyalty? Why build a Monument? Links to a guide that gets to details like this also welcome. I am having trouble seeing the big picture I think.

17. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Culture is used to research Civics which is really important early game. Culture also expands your cities borders.

switchyswitch likes this.
  18. switchyswitch

switchyswitch Chieftain

We
    Perfect, thank you.

19. phipfwe76

phipfwe76 Chieftain

Any tips for STOPPING another civ from winning, aside from spies?

As I mentioned 2 weeks ago, this is my first real Civ game aside from Civ Rev. I've started on Settler mode to get the feel. I've decided to win each type of victory mode on Settler to get acclimated, and it's going okay. I got science and culture easily. But it seems I only win 50% of the time. Last week I had the Kongo win a cultural victory on turn 425. Just now Gorgo won a cultural victory on turn 364. Seems a little harsh for settler mode, so maybe I'm missing something? Do I just need to spam spies to prevent culture?

20. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

In most cases you do this by winning faster. 300 turns is usually enough.