1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Quick Questions and Answers

1. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain

Quick question: does a damaged unit get less of a garrison bonus?

For example, I have a warrior fortified in my city. It gives a +10 garrison bonus to city defenses. Now, say that warrior is damaged, does the bonus drop to +8 or lower (depending on how much it’s damaged)?

Knightfall likes this.
  2. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Yes. You can see the numbers just above the city name. A damaged unit doesnt increase the number as much as a healthy one.

Knightfall likes this.
  3. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Someone posted this on Reddit, it seems he can't build a campus between the city center and the mountain but I can't figure out why. The tile belongs to the city for sure (adjacent to the city center), there's nothing on it. What am I missing?

campus.jpg

Edit: Could it be a Marsh that isn't showing up correctly? Yeah, there's a Marsh there and he didn't research irrigation. I answered my own question =D I might need therapy.

4. Flaxton

Flaxton Warlord

Is there an alliance strategy guide? I never really bother with them, am I missing much?

Knightfall likes this.
  5. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Warlord

If you like to trade with neighbors I guess they are good.

Yields from Trade Routes, extra Influence per Ally Suzerained City-State, free Eurekas every 30 Turns, shared vision, no loyalty pressure, extra GPP, +1 Diplomatic Favor per Turn per Alliance Tier. Usually it allows you to parasite on stronger player, If you snowball hard and don't need massive DF maybe you can go without it.

Flaxton and Knightfall like this.
  6. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

Alliances can be great, you should definitely use them:

- military alliance gives a bonus to units when fighting a common enemy
    - cultural alliance stops cultural pressure from that AI, makes you keep or build cities that you would otherwise lose to loyalty
    - research alliance helps you catch up to the science leader
    - religious alliance helps keep your religion (a little) easier against a religiously strong neighbor
    - economic alliance brings in some nice extra cash and gets you some more city states bonuses later on

All, except military, give some extra yields on trade routes. That's never bad. One of the nice uses of alliances is also that you can use them to lock in peace with an AI. Oh, and they will almost always pay you to get an alliance with them.

There's more to this, google it if you want to know more. :)

7. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Wisselbanken card and Democracy bonuses stack to +6 food and +6 production per trade route to your ally.
    One of many possible examples: you've found a nice unsettled spot far off your lands, with nice luxuries or strategics, but covered in -20 loyalty, make a cultural alliance with neighbouring civ, and jumpstart your new colonies with food and production boosted trade routes, which will also bring in more culture from the alliance for faster border growth. If that's a new continent and you settle it with Golden Hic Sunt Dracones dedication, with some additional chopping the newly acquired region will be up and running in no time.

8. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Warlord

Doesn't Wisselbanked get obsolete with Suffrage? I don't think it stacks.

Knightfall likes this.
  9. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

It doesn't get obsolete since Gathering Storm, so it stacks.

10. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

I was playing a Culture Game awhile back getting +2 Science for every Writing Work of Art and Relic.
    I can't find or remember how I was getting that...
    City State, Religious Choice, Great Person, Wonder... I know someone here knows??

EDIT: Ok sorry... I figured it out... it was Suzerain of Babylon!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  11. Flaxton

Flaxton Warlord

Like it, especially good with England :)

12. Tampico

Tampico Chieftain

Apologize for reviving an old thread... but Does Mary Leakey's boost to artifact tourism not work!?

Moderator Action: Please do not necro old threads. This post is moved to the Quick Questions & Answers thread. -- Browd

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
  13. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Playing a game where I liberated 4 City States but don't see them in the list anymore?
    What happens when you Declare a Liberation War and Liberate CS's now?
    It seems like something has changed from last year?

14. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

When you build a district on top of a tile with bonuses (eg 2 food, 1 science or whatever) does the district bonuses stack on top or does it replace those bonuses?

15. Basajaun

Basajaun Warlord

You lose the tile yields, but in case there is any yet undiscovered strategic resource in it, once you research it, it will yield the appropiate amount. However, it will not count towards the eurekas.

Linklite likes this.
  16. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

Thanks!

17. Linklite

Linklite Chieftain

Two more questions.
    In the yields section at the top of the screen there is a suitcase with a number. The descriptor says its tourism (makes sense) but I couldn't figure out what it exactly means, nor how it is derived since it doesn't seem to match any of the other numbers. What does it mean exactly? And how does it relate to the Culture Victory?

Second question, how is your score calculated? What things do I have to push in order to maximise my score?

18. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

1st: It is directly related to the culture victory: your tourism is the defining factor for reaching the culture victory. PotatoMcWhiskey recently did a good explanation how the culture victory works on youtube.

2nd: Go to the victory tab and look at score. There's a small button to the right that shows the details of how everyone's score is calculated. You will see that it's things like: territory, wonders, religion, era score, science and civics.

19. chrisddickey

chrisddickey Chieftain

Can you only have one religions faith building in your holy site?
    I conquered a capital that already had a Stuppa in in, and converted it to my religion. I can't figure out why it is not letting me build my religions Meeting House.
    Any reasons I am overlooking? Thanks.

20. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

Yes, just one is allowed.