https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5bqs6h/barbarian_scout_mechanic_explained/

This says 'highest tech discovered by half of the civs', even a line from some game parameters is shown.
Thanks, seems both my understandings were sort of correct

"The real deal is when anyone in the world gets horseback riding (so turn ~20ish on Deity), they spawn 35str Horsemen instead. If you don't have a trio of archers or at least a spearman to deal with this, you must absolutely zone out that scout."

Australia gets "+3 Housing in coastal cities". So that's a total of 5 Housing for a new coastal city?

How much additional housing does such a city get from an Aquaduct?
+3 (like other cities with only coastal water) for a total of 8?
+2 (like other cities that have 5 housing from water without the Aquaduct) for a total of 7?
+1, bringing it to a total of 6 (like other cities with only coastal water w/Aquaduct)?

Coastal cities have +1 housing normally for 3 total, Australia puts 3 on top of that for 6 housing (yes, one more than river). If you are on a river AND coast, you get 2 (base) + 3 (river) + 4 (coast) = 9 housing the turn you settle.

Cities with aquaducts bring their housing up to fresh water level and grant cities with fresh water an additional +2 housing. For a city without any water from itself, this means they give +3 housing. For a coastal city, they give +2 housing. For a river city, they also give +2 housing. This is cumulative with Australia's bonus, so their aquaduct cities, assuming no other bonuses, have 5 (inland), 7 (river), 8 (coast) or 11 (river coast) housing.

In general aquaducts tend to not be worth it if you're not Rome, however. Granaries and improvements typically do most of the work. Exception is if you have a city that you want to grow really large but has no fresh water.

My understanding had always been that if your city is adjacent to fresh water and a coast, you only get the +3 bonus for the fresh water, not the +1 for coast.
I did a little experimenting (starting in the Renaissance era for quick access to settlers and the aqueduct).

As Australia, I settled on a coast with a river on the inland side of the tile. (That is, the river paralleled the coast 1 tile away).
That gave me 8, which I believe breaks down as: 2 (base) + 3 (river) + 3 (coast).
So it appears you don't get the standard +1 for coast if you have fresh water, but you do get the +3 bonus for coast, regardless of whether you also have fresh water.
An aqueduct brought the total to 10, so apparently added +2 as it does for other civ's cities with fresh water.

An Australian coastal city without fresh water access gets 6, which is presumably 2 (base) + 4 (1 + 3 coast).
An aqueduct brought the total to 9, so apparently added +3 as it does for other civ's cities with only coastal water.

So it looks like the aqueduct gives an Australian coastal city with fresh or only coastal water the same bonuses it would a normal civ's city with fresh or coastal water, respectively.

As Scythia, settling on the coast at the mouth of a river got me 5: 2 (base) + 3 (river), but not the additional +1 for coast.
I didn't find a spot with a river that parallels the coast 1 tile away as I did above. I don't know if that would make a difference.

You are right. Australia on River+Coast has 8 housing, not nine. My mistake. And that indeed also means one housing less for Australia river/coast with aquaduct.

So explain to me where my border is on this picture? This is a weird graphical bug with my borders on the Eastern side of my empire. I own the cities on both sides of this map (Europe and Asia). Not a big deal, but sometimes I couldn't tell where my workers could and could not place improvements.

As an aside note, it's hard to see Baghdad in this picture, but there's a small one tile lake to the West of Baghdad, somehow the AI got a frigate inside of this lake. How? There is no harbor there, the Harbot is in the Caspian sea where that great admiral is in the picture. And I believe there is one land tile separating the Caspian sea from Baghdad, meaning a ship can't travel from the Caspian Sea to Baghdad and then into the 1 tile lake tile. Strange how a frigate ended up there. When I conquered Baghdad, I used city fire to take out the frigate. I actually had to conquer Baghdad later in the game, because I forgot to take it the first time I swept through the middle east.

Maybe Baghdad built the Frigate before building a Harbor?

As for the borders, sounds like a bug to me.

Ahh, I just realized that they probably had a ship on top of their harbor when they built the other frigate, hence it was built inside their city. It wasn't Venetian Arsenal because I have that. They were getting a bit crowded in ships in the Caspian Sea, so most likely a ship was on top of the harbor when the new one was built.

Murder is always the best option.

True, cause otherwise you're probably stuck with it forever.

For extra fun you should be able to ally them and see what they're doing too :D

On the other hand, the AI in these situations will normally behave more like a friend - they won't send their units to fight you etc, but if they accidentally stumble upon your lands, or your traders, they'll pillage...

If I build a National Park, but later on decide to build a mine adjacent to the National Park which may lower the appeal, does it nullify my National Park in some way? I doubt it, it seems like once it's built, it's built. I mainly want to hook up some aluminum nearby.

If I build a National Park, but later on decide to build a mine adjacent to the National Park which may lower the appeal, does it nullify my National Park in some way? I doubt it, it seems like once it's built, it's built. I mainly want to hook up some aluminum nearby.

I *believe* that it only lowers tourism income because the appeal is lower, but I'm no expert on national parks, or endgame in general.

You can always save and try.

I'm hoping to keep him in the game.

Gonna try to conquer his cities, gift Rome to Russia, then see if I can liberate Rome.

I think if a civ is defeated, it ends their wars.
I have read here that you can't gift original capitals to the AI, so I think you should try it so you can confirm it.;)

Top Bottom