Random Rants : WE FORGOT THE ANAESTHETIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I think that most people would appreciate it if a foreigner in their country took the trouble to learn their language and tried to use it.

When I was a kid (thirty-five years ago), we lived in Germany for a while. My dad's idea was that we'd all learn German and then each learn a third (different) language, so someone in the family could translate as we traveled around. We all learned some German, but the third language thing didn't happen. Anyway, when we'd go to Paris, my Dad would ask if anyone spoke English. They'd say no. Then he'd try German. Magically, they'd now speak English. (Outside of the city, everyone spoke English right from the start.)

Rant: Goddammit, I'm so stupid, I went to my Monday classes instead of my Tuesday ones, which means I missed out on the first day of two classes I'm on the fence about.

I'm so angry with myself right now, as well as worried sick. I hope I don't get booted from the class, or miss something important.

:(

You have nothing to fear... my best friend did it with me... and now she found someone she is in love with and we are still friends.

It will all work out.

Again, wrong one :p.
I'll totally confess to my friend, but that rant was about a random girl in the gym.
Need guts for that.
Okay, also need guts for the former thing, but these I have.

Sometimes this comes even in reverse, and then I feel embarrassed. Many of the Dutch people around speak German (additionally to English), while I speak 5 words of Dutch. Sometimes some try to speak German (and not bad), but the situation is so awkward for me :blush:, because they speak my language in their country.
Doesn't happen often though.
And some places are more of a problem than others (e.g. the doctor, especially there; I'd really like to be on the same language level as my counterpart, and not on a much higher one).

That's more likely a problem for a German-speaker than for an English-speaker (although I would've thought that finding a fluent German speaking doctor in Dutchland wouldn't be that hard; imagine what it'd be like if you were in pretty much any other non-German speaking country). People's foreign-language skills are going to be better in their field of expertise, particularly. Even though my general English skills are always going to be better than any German doctor I visit, they'll still beat me on medical terminology. There might be some loss of precision when trying to convey a very specific meaning, but this would be so negligible as to hardly justify learning another language (which would leave you with the same problem anyway). I suppose the point though is more that misunderstandings due to different languages suck, not that there's something you can practically do about it.

That's more likely a problem for a German-speaker than for an English-speaker (although I would've thought that finding a fluent German speaking doctor in Dutchland wouldn't be that hard; imagine what it'd be like if you were in pretty much any other non-German speaking country).

You got me wrong there.
I dislike talking to my doctor in German, although he can, because I think that the difference in level is in German bigger than in English, and I'd rather be properly understood in English than being able to properly describe my problems in German, because I fear the latter will cause a bigger loss of information at the end.
Therefore I'd prefer to speak the language where the difference in proficiency is the least (given that it's still sort of fluent), even if the other side speaks my native language (applies also the other way around, but I only speak English, so that's not really applicable at the moment).

But true about the rest.
Had already some misunderstandings due to language, and that really sucks hard (followed by misunderstandings due to culture, but most often you're prepared for that).

Somehow grad school has destroyed every bit of self confidence I had in less than two years. I desperately want out, but at the moment I can't really convince myself I'de be employable in the real world. Despite the fact that any sort of logical analysis would suggest I'm in a really great position going forward, I just can't seem to find any self confidence in my abilities or intelligence.

Sometimes I think grad school is designed to intentionally do that. :(

Somehow grad school has destroyed every bit of self confidence I had in less than two years. I desperately want out, but at the moment I can't really convince myself I'de be employable in the real world. Despite the fact that any sort of logical analysis would suggest I'm in a really great position going forward, I just can't seem to find any self confidence in my abilities or intelligence.

I'm actually losing all faith in college education right now and I'm undergrad. I'm potting all my scholarship money up in savings so I'm able to arrange self-employment. I don't think I will ever make a good employee, since I'm not a particularly good student either and that I will do better on my on working irregularly.

I'm actually losing all faith in college education right now and I'm undergrad. I'm potting all my scholarship money up in savings so I'm able to arrange self-employment. I don't think I will ever make a good employee, since I'm not a particularly good student either and that I will do better on my on working irregularly.

Yeah... I did fine in undergrad it was just a run of the mill smallish public university, but I got a 3.8ish GPA and a degree in mathematics all with zero debt. I realize that isn't super impressive, but I feel like I'm reasonably capable as a human being. I did okay my first semester of grad school, but it's been steadily downhill ever since. At this point I don't even feel smart and working on HW for some of my classes just makes me want to break down and cry in frustration. I need to talk to my adviser and tell him I'm quitting, but I can't bring myself to do it, for reasons I don't totally understand.

SUBSCRIPTIONS
What is the trial subscription?

The trial subscription is valid for 30 days and does not require any payment information to be entered. You will have full access to the site and all of its features during this time. At the end of the trial if you do not wish to subscribe, account access will still be available, but image uploading will not.
What happens to my account after the trial or if it expires?

If you don’t pay after the free 30 day trial or if your premium subscription expires, image uploading will not be available. However, access to the account and images previously uploaded are still allowed.
GOD <redacted> DAMMIT! JUST WHEN I THOUGHT IMAGESHACK WAS SAFE TO GO BACK TO! :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:

I think I know only one exception to the general rule of being depressed by the time one's out of grad school, and she got married right as she started and her spouse started working.

I'm actually losing all faith in college education right now and I'm undergrad.
I already had a rude awakening that college is nothing but a ponzi scheme.

I already had a rude awakening that college is nothing but a ponzi scheme.
Do you know what a real ponzi scheme is? Because the comparison to post-secondary education doesn't make sense, unless you went to a school where you received money based on how many other people you recruited to come to the school.

You guys are being overly dramatic and hyperbolic, but I suppose that's all people really ever use these threads for, anyways.

Yeah... I did fine in undergrad it was just a run of the mill smallish public university, but I got a 3.8ish GPA and a degree in mathematics all with zero debt. I realize that isn't super impressive,

Yes it is super impressive, how the hell did you graduate with zero debt?

Yes it is super impressive, how the hell did you graduate with zero debt?

I got out of school with no debt and 3.9 gpa, btw... quite uncommon.

Well, you didn't go to school in the past decade-ish. When you went to school, graduating debt-free wasn't nigh-impossible.

Well, you didn't go to school in the past decade-ish. When you went to school, graduating debt-free wasn't nigh-impossible.

I meet them all the time... but it IS rare. College and college debt is a clever bourgeoisie way to extract surplus value before you enter the workforce.

I advise people NOT to get into debt for school. Makes you a captive worker.

Best of luck!

Funny enough, some of the southern states are OK at some finanical scholarship things just for academics (namely, Georgia is pretty decent with HOPE scholarship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOPE_Scholarship, which gives tuition to instate students).

I believe florida does pretty well for their state schools.

But yeah, a lot of debt gets accrued for no real reason.

edit: anyways my rant--not much of a rant, but the gym does seem like one the few places where I am not just isolated in rooms with 100% men. It's particularly nice that my building has a little small gym in it, so you could even approach people in there without being in a swarm of 10^6 people.

However, such things would be nicer if I didn't get disgustingly sweaty while exercising

Communism: It's become a CFC topic that's a little like what libertarianism used to be, only with more than one devotee.

This rant is not really related to RT's rant above.

Also, I have two songs in particular firmly entrenched in my head. I will attempt to dislodge them from their positions, but the assault may be costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom