Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked it up, neither of my kids have saints names as it happens, its not a thing in Ireland as there are too many random Irish first names.

Just looked it up, neither of my kids have saints names as it happens, its not a thing in Ireland as there are too many random Irish first names.

Maybe they tie in some way to saint names? I mean no saint was called Aristoteles either, while many greek people are.

edit: google proves me wrong: there is a St. Aristoteles, and that is when those people have their name day... (there is a megalomartyr Plato too...)
Still, a few ancient greek names wouldn't have a saint. There are some in a bulk group, including Prometheus, Sophocles, Homer etc (in the early centuries of christianity those names apparently were relatively common :dunno: )

Last edited:
I have like 5 of them (most recent was a couple weeks ago)
We have a Marian feast every day in Catholicism, actually.

I was born on a particularly infamous saint's day, so my birthday has always been my saint's day of choice, given that I'm not actually Trinitarian and there are apparently two saints with my forename.

I wrote over 400 words in one ****ting :run:
Due to the censored word, I take it you did this writing in the bathroom?

(sorry, couldn't resist... :hide: )

Today is my name day. For the heretics, a name day is something celebrated by orthodox christians, and is the death-day of the saint/other religious figure they were named after.
In my case it is the illustrious Kyriakos, the one who departed for the wilderness (well, after he became 70 years old) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyriacus_the_Anchorite

He lived to be 109 years old, and died at 556 AD, on a day like today ;)

Even has my expression.
Well, you did muse about possibly emigrating to Canada, so that takes care of the departing for the wilderness aspect. I'd disagree about the expression, though, since your avatar has had that slight little imperial smile for years now. :mischief:

I was born on a particularly infamous saint's day, so my birthday has always been my saint's day of choice, given that I'm not actually Trinitarian and there are apparently two saints with my forename.
St. Bartholomew? He's not infamous, I don't think, but his day is.

So, I have no idea what the etymology of my name is. Some sources say it might be Welsh derived for village/house, but I've also heard it might be Gothic derived. So I dunno.

You'd just as soon see a member of the Trump family canonized ...
Oliver Cromwell brought the traditional English pastime of persecuting the papists to a whole new level.

Plz don't give anyone ideas
I don't think the Pope would be open to such a process.
Spoiler size :

Trump Pope.png

Why are Ivanka and Melania dressed as widows??
It's traditional to wear very conservative clothing when going to the Vatican, especially when meeting the big-hat guy.

The hinge to my laptop was breaking. I returned it to where I bought it. They said they'd have to return it to the techs in Cebu City, a covid hotbed, and it take about a month. :eek: I took it to our local place and the tech there said that was the was to go so as not to void the warrantee. :nono:
Bah, I need my laptop so I :splat: prevailed upon him to fix it. Less than a day later, at a cost of $8, it's all better. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom