Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching the UFC on ESPN and they just showed one of the guys warming up backstage. The coach holding the pads for the fighter was Conrad Pla, the Canadian television actor (ReGenesis, The Expanse - a whole truckload of Canadian stuff).

Eating a bunch of burritos can also work, in a pinch.
I read these posts in reverse and thought we were talking about... something else.

I'm on my summer vacation. Actually, it could go in the rants too based on how things are going. But I'm having my coffee now and trying to enjoy it. I mean the vacation, not the coffee. The coffee is already enjoyable enough.

Good birthday today, as I have completed 27 revolutions around the sun. Took a half day of PTO from work so I spent the afternoon watching Star Trek on my porch. Went to my parents for dinner where we did English Pub food take out (Fish & Chips, Sausage Roll, Steak & Stilton Pie), and opened gifts from my relatives. Parents got me a selection of international (mainly Eastern European) beer, Grandparents got me a large bag of gummy worms (sucker for any sort of gummy candy) and I got several books:
Michael Kulikowski Rome's Gothic Wars
Andrew Ross Sorkin Too Big to Fail
Editors, Science for Welfare and Warfare: Technology and State Initiative in Cold War Sweden
Fernand Braundel The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Phillip II

I got the last one on recommendation from @innonimatu, so it better be good!

Good birthday today, as I have completed 27 revolutions around the sun. Took a half day of PTO from work so I spent the afternoon watching Star Trek on my porch. Went to my parents for dinner where we did English Pub food take out (Fish & Chips, Sausage Roll, Steak & Stilton Pie), and opened gifts from my relatives. Parents got me a selection of international (mainly Eastern European) beer, Grandparents got me a large bag of gummy worms (sucker for any sort of gummy candy) and I got several books:
Michael Kulikowski Rome's Gothic Wars
Andrew Ross Sorkin Too Big to Fail
Editors, Science for Welfare and Warfare: Technology and State Initiative in Cold War Sweden
Fernand Braundel The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Phillip II

Happy 27th trip around the Sun! :)

You're young! :lol: Happy readings.
I think you would appreciate his "Material civilization, economy and capitalism, 15th-18th centuries" over the Mediterranean. But either one is good, and roughly about the same era and topics.

And here I am feeling old, that its only three years before I enter my 30s.....
:lol:

This puts me in mind of a meeting I was at, of the science fiction club at the local college. One of the members was in a grumpy snit about her upcoming 30th birthday, and the oldest member and I both started laughing. She was over 50, and I'd turned 30 several years before that.

As we told her, it's not fatal. And I got a nice surprise party. I'd thought I was going to a friend's place to play a board game (Eurorails) and was completely surprised by half the SCA group there, yelling "Surprise!" and my friend had cooked a wonderful supper for all of us.

After we ate, we started a game of Eurorails (I'd brought the game with me), and the conversation meandered to "if you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?" and from there we decided that if the amount was large enough to spare a million or so, we'd build ourselves a castle, complete with fully modern kitchen to prepare feasts, an authentic-looking great hall (for court ceremonies and feasts), sewing and crafts room, garden, an archery range, an outdoor place for heavy tournaments, area for camping for people who came from elsewhere to attend feasts and tournaments (of course the castle would have bedrooms but we'd have to keep things to some reasonable limit), and a bunch of other things I don't recall at the moment. It didn't get to the point where blueprints were being drawn up (would have, if I'd had graph paper with me), but it was fun to kick ideas around.

So turning 30 was fun for me.

And here I am feeling old, that its only three years before I enter my 30s.....
Man, you're killing me. I turned 30 during a) an insane endless quarantine and b) a Trump presidency.

Well, I turned 30 during the aftermath of a global economic meltdown and prior to a decade of Tory mismanagement, so, yay?

So I guess I have some small amount of newfound respect for these "reaction" videos proliferating on YouTube. According to Variety, this "first time listening" video of two kids from Gary, IN has launched Phil Collins back into #3 on iTunes' charts, on the back of nearly 5,000,000 views in less than a month.

I guess if these YouTube videos genuinely lead people to hear & appreciate new music (or films), then I'm in favor. And it made me laugh to see that "In the Air Tonight" still grabs young men by the [shoulders], all these years later. On the famous 3:40 drums break, they have pretty much the same reaction that everybody else did when we were teenagers (okay, the article says they're 22, but jeez, they look younger than that to me).

"That was cold, how he did that, I ain't gonna lie. He got me." :lol: Yep, me too, kid. Me, too.

Variety, 10 Aug 2020 - "Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' is a sales hit again, after 39 years, thanks to twins' reaction video"

How can anyone be listening to those drums for the first time at 22? Kids these days.

Well, I turned 30 during the aftermath of a global economic meltdown and prior to a decade of Tory mismanagement, so, yay?
I turned 30 during Y2K. Whoopie!

I turned 30 in the last year of Trump's second term. Beat that! :smug:

I can only imagine how crazy the world will look when I turn 30. Hopefully less crazy than it looks right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom