Random Thoughts Five: Ya rolls the dice, ya takes yer chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read one of these "summary of the year" articles today. Afterwards I had to check on youtube what this most played song of the year was, because I had no idea. Turns out it must have run in the background on youtube once in a while, because I remember it from somewhere...but not too strong.
Not sure if that's a good thing, because it means I've totally disconnected in some way from mainstream real life :think:

Poof!

It's right there in black and white. Well, a kind of mix of black and white.

Looks like trees in a snowstorm. :p

pearl jam would probably be one of the first bands I would think about when u say "classic rock". aside from that probably led zeppelin, ac/dc, guns 'n roses, eric clapton, springsteen, some of the 60s stuff. it's not really a genre at all, but rather an umbrella term for bands that are liked by dads. classic rock is pretty much dadrock

so what you're telling me is that your wife brings you a new t-shirt and instead of, you know, touching the fabric to get a feel for the quality, trying it on to see if it fits better than your current one, you instantly dismiss it (with a notable amount of smugness) and somehow still manage to feel intellectually superior? kinda uncool how you portray her as feeble and emotional when her choice might have been both the rational and the economical one (you never know until you try, I will concede that often times a shirt costing 5 bucks and a shirt costing 50 bucks might come from the same factory and are only differentiated by a worthless label, paying for brands does not pay off).

I know it's hard to believe, but certain fabrics are garbage, while others let more air through, make you sweat less, hold up better, look better and feel better

yikes

good to know the same people talking down Trump will use every opportunity to publicly belittle their partners

"just let the woman talk and say thank you and amen haha" really, man?

this is all kinda pityful tbh, like I know you're all good people, funny, smart, I have no idea where this ugly attitude comes from
When your wife buys you something, just say thank you and wear or use it at least once.

wow I totally missed that page 3 drama. and what weird drama it was.

I do have $4 and similar shirts that I absolutely love, but they all came from thrift stores. There is an extremely noticeable difference in fabric quality all over the board, and there usually is a certain price threshold to achieve a shirt that I would love as opposed to a shirt that I would just wear. Not necessarily linear though.

Last edited:
Not sure if that's a good thing, because it means I've totally disconnected in some way from mainstream real life
When I dropped cable, I stopped seeing commercials for most movies - especially those rated over G. I had a similar feeling as you when I learned about major new movie releases after they came out in theaters.

pearl jam would probably be one of the first bands I would think about when u say "classic rock". aside from that probably led zeppelin, ac/dc, guns 'n roses, eric clapton, springsteen, some of the 60s stuff. it's not really a genre at all, but rather an umbrella term for bands that are liked by dads. classic rock is pretty much dadrock
I think we may actually be seeing a divergence between classic rock and dad rock. As you say, "classic rock" runs from the later sixties to early eighties; essentially, boomer rock. But modern dads aren't boomers, they're gen Xers, and their music runs from the late seventies to the early nineties. And increasingly, the dad is an older millennial, who's musical tastes run through the nineties and 2000s. We're at the stage were not only are the Ramones dad rock, Radiohead is dad rock.

So, thesis: "classic rock" refers to a specific formative period in rock music, during which it established a distinct identity and canon, set apart from rock 'n' roll, rockabilly and rhythm and blues. "Dad rock" refers to whatever slightly out-of-date guitar music guys in their thirties are trying against all evidence to maintain is still relevant.

Last edited:
I actually looked up a bunch of the songs that they played and think I may have figured out their definition. With the exception of the Pearl Jam song ("Better Man," released in 1994), all the songs they played were at least 25 years old.

Don't worry, that one too will be 25 years old in just a few weeks.

This is where start to remember that "classic rock" is first and foremost a radio format, and station execs aren't interested in my dumb thesis.

Since they're playing it again, we'll see how my hypothesis holds up.

Survivor, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 54-40, sure, I can dig that as classic rock.

But, uh, Pop Evil? I've never heard that name and had to look them up. They formed in 2001. My theory completely fell apart in the first five songs.

Since they're playing it again, we'll see how my hypothesis holds up.

Survivor, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 54-40, sure, I can dig that as classic rock.

But, uh, Pop Evil? I've never heard that name and had to look them up. They formed in 2001. My theory completely fell apart in the first five songs.

Radio stations feel no reason that they have to remain exclusively within a format. They're just basically within a format. Skynyrd isn't even technically classic rock. It's Southern rock. It's just rock which happens to be from the same era.

I know, but when they're advertising it as "two hours of pure classic rock," it's a little confusing.

:dunno: It's never been an actual formal designation that anyone has been required to follow. They can say whatever they want in their advertising, for there's no way to hold them accountable for it.

What always annoys me is the radio stations around here who advertise that they play more "variety" than anyone else. But their definition of "variety" is to play 12 songs a month, the same songs over and over again, but the 12 songs can be called technically different categories of music.

That sounds awful. The radio station I used to listen to seemed to have a rotation of less than 50 songs toward the end. It used to be good but then all the good hosts started leaving and the music kept getting whittled down and down. I think the parent company might've been running out of money or something because the last time I played it I think everything was just pre-recorded. Now I can't even get it to come in at all unless the weather is just right.

I read one of these "summary of the year" articles today. Afterwards I had to check on youtube what this most played song of the year was, because I had no idea. Turns out it must have run in the background on youtube once in a while, because I remember it from somewhere...but not too strong.
Not sure if that's a good thing, because it means I've totally disconnected in some way from mainstream real life :think:
I'm beginning to think there is no mainstream anymore. For all of the music I listen and television shows I watch, I have very little overlap with many people I know. Pop culture "water cooler" conversations just aren't possible anymore.

So, thesis: "classic rock" refers to a specific formative period in rock music, during which it established a distinct identity and canon, set apart from rock 'n' roll, rockabilly and rhythm and blues.
I don't think '70s punk has become part of "classic rock", but I don't know if I've listened to any classic rock stations or playlists lately. I agree with you, there's a stream where you'll hear things like R.E.M. and Simple Minds, that I just can't label classic rock.

What always annoys me is the radio stations around here who advertise that they play more "variety" than anyone else. But their definition of "variety" is to play 12 songs a month, the same songs over and over again, but the 12 songs can be called technically different categories of music.
Right, even the stations that play a specific genre - classic rock, say - will play the same few songs over and over. Take Fleetwood Mac: After getting bludgeoned senseless with "Rhiannon", "Go Your Own Way", "Dreams", and "the Chain", I think I was 30 when I heard "Tusk" for the first time (and it wasn't on a 'classic rock' station - they're probably still playing those same 4 songs). I kicked commercial radio to the curb in 1988, but I was fortunate enough to live in a city with tons of college radio options. Today, with the web, someone with a remarkably narrow taste in music can probably listen to stuff for months and never hear the same song twice.

I'm beginning to think there is no mainstream anymore. For all of the music I listen and television shows I watch, I have very little overlap with many people I know. Pop culture "water cooler" conversations just aren't possible anymore.

I don't think '70s punk has become part of "classic rock", but I don't know if I've listened to any classic rock stations or playlists lately. I agree with you, there's a stream where you'll hear things like R.E.M. and Simple Minds, that I just can't label classic rock.

Right, even the stations that play a specific genre - classic rock, say - will play the same few songs over and over. Take Fleetwood Mac: After getting bludgeoned senseless with "Rhiannon", "Go Your Own Way", "Dreams", and "the Chain", I think I was 30 when I heard "Tusk" for the first time (and it wasn't on a 'classic rock' station - they're probably still playing those same 4 songs). I kicked commercial radio to the curb in 1988, but I was fortunate enough to live in a city with tons of college radio options. Today, with the web, someone with a remarkably narrow taste in music can probably listen to stuff for months and never hear the same song twice.

There are 4 stations which claim to be classic rock which can be listened to over the air in my area. The morning 2 of them were playing Freebird at the same time. :cringe:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom