Random Thoughts Sechs: Eeeeehhhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I always wondered is how different Canadian French is compared to Metropolitan/European French. Since I looked at it as a difference in dialect akin to Bostonian Accent vs Standard American English.

Also I’m just a learner in Metro/European French :blush:.
It's quite different in some ways (@Evie could tell you much more than I can, as she has spent much of her life in Quebec).

In schools here in Alberta we are taught the kind of French spoken in France (as with any country's language, I would think there are regional dialects), specifically Paris. We're not taught Quebecois French, or at least that was the case 40+ years ago. Even in college in the '80s, when I took university-level French, it wasn't Quebecois French we were taught.

There are some words and phrases that are quite different, and you also need to consider that there have been times in both France and Quebec when certain political leaders/parties mandated particular words and phrases be used to prevent or at least discourage the adoption of English words.

The difference is kind of overstated, tbh. The problem you'll face is that there's a lot of superiority complex nonsense. For the most part, on a language level, you'll survive just fine. It'll take you a bit to learn slang and the nuance, but you have that between other language dialects like in English and Dutch (e.g. Flemish speakers have their own phrases and pronunciations, but they can communicate fine with Dutch people). When I went to high school there was another Dutch kid in my French class, and we communicated just fine except for when we talked about cheese spread (smeerkaas). My Belgian family pronounced it "smeer kays" while his Dutch family pronounced it "smaawr kaws".

I was in school just before the cut off of early French education so I had French for 9 years, and won a French award in high school. Occasionally we'd have "real" French people, and the only issue we'd run into is that they'd stick their nose up at our "fake" French.

Something I always wondered is how different Canadian French is compared to Metropolitan/European French. Since I looked at it as a difference in dialect akin to Bostonian Accent vs Standard American English.

Also I’m just a learner in Metro/European French :blush:.
Look at the Belgians, and the Swiss, who are more sensible. I've actually heard them use the same word inherited from Latin for seventy (septante) rather than sixty-and-ten (soixant-dix). The same goes for eighty (huitante/octante instead of quatre-vingts) and ninety (nonante instead of quatre-vingts-dix).

It's just awesome.

Dont know why but I always read @Valka D'Ur 's nick name in my mind as "Valka The Fur" Im not sure I should read it as "Dur" or "The Ur".

Why do you call them eggplants rather than aubergines? They don't exactly lay eggs.
I've always wondered about that myself. There's nothing "eggy" about them, to my eye or palate.
White-skinned variants used to be more common than purple-skinned variants, and these do indeed look a bit egg-y:

Dont know why but I always read @Valka D'Ur 's nick name in my mind as "Valka The Fur" Im not sure I should read it as "Dur" or "The Ur".
I think @Valka D'Ur should clarify :)
I doubt it is "fur", but i do expect her to be stylish.
:huh:

I've explained this several times over the years.

The reason I originally came to CFC was because of Civ II: Test of Time. That's my favorite Civ game, and one of the scenarios (the Lalande science fiction one) inspired the username I have here. There is a faction called the Uridians, and "Valka" just kind of morphed out of several similar variations.

I had no idea there's some sort of fantasy character with that name; I just picked it as the name of my faction leader (I usually play with female leaders), and rather than type out "Valka of the Uridians" I just applied what I learned in my French classes when you want to say that someone is of somewhere. Therefore, the name of my faction leader in the game is Valka D'Ur, and I chose it for my username on CFC.

It's got nothing to do with the ancient city of Ur. I do not wear real fur, and the only things I own that are fake fur are:

1. A pair of earmuffs;

2. The trim on the hood of my heavy winter coat;

3. A tribble I bought at a science fiction convention over 30 years ago.

The only real fur on the premises is attached to my cat, and it belongs to her, not me. I just get the fun of vacuuming it up when she sheds.

Valka, calm down, you're speaking to two people whose native or everyday languages are neither English nor French and they are trying to make sense of it.

Valka, calm down, you're speaking to two people whose native or everyday languages are neither English nor French and they are trying to make sense of it.
Yes, I know their offline languages aren't English. It's not unreasonable to associate "D'Ur" with the ancient city of Ur (a logical assumption on a forum of Civ players), but I've explained quite a number of times over the years that "Ur" means a location/faction in a specific Civ II scenario, not a RL location.

What annoyed me was the idea that I would wear real fur. I suppose you can say I wear it whenever Maddy sheds on my t-shirt when we're cuddling (an everyday occurrence).

@Kyriakos: Thank you for expecting me to be stylish, but the truth is that I don't really care about what's stylish. I dress for comfort, and if I have any sort of style, I guess you could call it "Geek Writer Casual" (ie. I just received my Camp NaNoWriMo t-shirt in the mail).

:huh:

I've explained this several times over the years.

The reason I originally came to CFC was because of Civ II: Test of Time. That's my favorite Civ game, and one of the scenarios (the Lalande science fiction one) inspired the username I have here. There is a faction called the Uridians, and "Valka" just kind of morphed out of several similar variations.

I had no idea there's some sort of fantasy character with that name; I just picked it as the name of my faction leader (I usually play with female leaders), and rather than type out "Valka of the Uridians" I just applied what I learned in my French classes when you want to say that someone is of somewhere. Therefore, the name of my faction leader in the game is Valka D'Ur, and I chose it for my username on CFC.

It's got nothing to do with the ancient city of Ur. I do not wear real fur, and the only things I own that are fake fur are:

1. A pair of earmuffs;

2. The trim on the hood of my heavy winter coat;

3. A tribble I bought at a science fiction convention over 30 years ago.

The only real fur on the premises is attached to my cat, and it belongs to her, not me. I just get the fun of vacuuming it up when she sheds.

Valka I just being honest, I think it is better than silently I keep reading your name in my mind wrongly (I dare not mentioned the wrong pronunciation) lol but thank you so much for the explanation ;)

edit: I think the reason I read it as Fur is because I associate you with a cat indirectly, not because some sort of fashion, you can blame Kyriakos for that lol

Valka I just being honest, I think it is better than silently I keep reading your name in my mind wrongly (I dare not mentioned the wrong pronunciation) lol but thank you so much for the explanation ;)

edit: I think the reason I read it as Fur is because I associate you with a cat indirectly, not because some sort of fashion, you can blame Kyriakos for that lol
Not a problem. Sometimes usernames can be confusing, and I've found that the best way to eliminate the confusion is to just ask (politely).

For instance, there's a moderator at the Star Trek forum I belong to, whose username is "Trampledamage." I looked at that and pondered it for quite awhile, then finally just asked her: "Should I read your name as:

1. Trample damage (damage taken from being trampled on)?
2. Trampled a mage (stomped on a magic user/wizard)?
3. An order to "Trample da mage!"?

I just thought of a fourth way: "Tramp led a mage" (a hobo guides a mage somewhere).

I don't remember what she told me, other than she hadn't realized that it could be read so many different ways. She found my question funny, though.

Next to that, "Valka D'Ur" is pretty tame. Just think of it as a short way of saying "Valka of the Uridians." I probably had a city named Ur in a few of my games; it's been ages since I last played it, so I don't recall right now.

For the record, if somebody ever drew a webcomic on CFC I'd vote for you being depicted as an anthropomorphic cat or a Norse shieldmaiden. Or both.

For the record, if somebody ever drew a webcomic on CFC I'd vote for you being depicted as an anthropomorphic cat or a Norse shieldmaiden. Or both.
I'm trying to imagine Maddy (my avatar resembles her), carrying a shield and wearing a stereotypical Viking helmet (kinda like the characters in Hagar the Horrible). :p

Actually, I've already been immortalized in a couple of webcomics. Many years ago the creator of Fuzzy Knights used my Faction Game/forum persona in a one-shot FK comic, and some years ago here, CivGeneral included my Spud avatar in a DYOS one-shot.

Cookies are I like cookies. They are good. Cookies. Except when they are not.

I'm trying to imagine Maddy (my avatar resembles her), carrying a shield and wearing a stereotypical Viking helmet (kinda like the characters in Hagar the Horrible). :p
Big round shield and sword it is, even if I was thinking of a twin daggers/crossbow combo for the stealth-mode version of the Valkat character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom