Random Thoughts XII - Floccinaucinihilipilification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone should invent backwards dominoes.

The first one falls away from the one near it, but that triggers an electromagnet that pulls the second one toward it. Ditto on down the line.

It occurred to me earlier today that whenever I see GDPR pop-ups which tell me "We value your privacy", they are literally true.

I just wish they were then honest enough to say, "... because this is how much we'll make by violating it (when we sell your personal data to random third parties)"

Someone should invent backwards dominoes.

The first one falls away from the one near it, but that triggers an electromagnet that pulls the second one toward it. Ditto on down the line.
You could do it with a few lengths of string, I suppose.

I heard a hawk, yesterday. I thought I knew what they sounded like, but I did not.

I had taken a walk around noon. The air was crisp, 48, and just slightly breezy. The light was overcast, almost bright as it came from everynowhere, and very saturated. The birdsong was thick, like a chipper sex-crazed choir. I was sort of floating in the moment, listening to the birds, considering that the dog has much better hearing but was so distracted following smells that don't exist in my sensory world that we were almost on different planets while being in the same experience in the same place. His vision, being less sharp and colorful, probably wouldn't support the game I was playing of locating the singers of the calls and responses high above on their branches. Either way, it was a nice, drifting as the calls bounced back and forth. To my right, a robin stopped singing, but sort of in the middle of a call(they have lines, or measures or phrases or whatever, that they tend to finish), which got my attention just enough to look to see how close I'd gotten to it for it to have startled - whereupon I realize that I'm looking at a slightly larger bird than I was expecting to see with a robin clenched in its claw. It gazed at me, then flew away to eat in peace. The birdsong from that branch would not return. I heard a hawk, yesterday. They sound like silence.

upload_2022-5-1_23-33-19.png

Not sure how Thessalonike belonged to a different side than Constantinople in the late Comnenian era.
Sure, just posting to show that roughly 1000 years ago, this was an important city. :p

View attachment 626567

Not sure how Thessalonike belonged to a different side than Constantinople in the late Comnenian era.
Sure, just posting to show that roughly 1000 years ago, this was an important city. :p
Back then, your city had more people than mine does now. You're on the coast, though, right? As in ocean-front, get in a boat, and go places, carry cargo, etc.?

My entire province is landlocked. My city doesn't even have a lake that people can swim in (there are a couple of small lakes that are within a wildlife sanctuary and reserved strictly for wildlife use, though people do use them for cross-country skiing in winter).

But we are right between the two major cities in Alberta (which means being overlooked by them but needed by the surrounding towns). Population has been inching up so we are now #3, having passed one of the southern Alberta cities some years ago.

I read that the premise of the television series The Leftovers was that 2% of the world's population disappeared. I also read recently that current estimates are that ~3.5% of the world's population was killed in the Second World War (I think the range was 3%-3.7%), which kind of puts that conflict in perspective. Current estimates of the death toll of COVID-19 are 6.25 million, which isn't even 0.1% of the current global population (of course that's "so far" and it's also sure to be a low estimate - but still, if that number is off by a factor of ten, COVID would still be only 1/3 as lethal as WWII was). If COVID were to claim 3.5% of our population, that'd be 280 million deaths.

Guy across the street is having new gutters installed.

And it's raining.

Giant vases.
What are they for? :think:

The small ones are for flowers.
The huge ones are to make moving impossible I guess.
Some kind of suburban anchor.

Giant vases.
What are they for? :think:

The small ones are for flowers.
The huge ones are to make moving impossible I guess.
Some kind of suburban anchor.
I always thought the large ones are either fancy umbrella stands or just really big knick-knacks that say, "See how rich we are, that we can afford pointless knick-knacks that the average person can't move when they have to dust around and underneath them."

Even my largest penguin is still movable. Though I'm sure it did look weird on the day I brought it home from the store, as it's the size of a small child. I had to perch it on top of my walker and peek around it... made navigating a bit hard in the grocery aisles in Walmart.

I remembered when I was young, I was thinking a very strange thing. So I had a junior, a year younger than me, at that time she's just unbelievably mind-blowingly charming, at that time I perceive it as beyond human; she's so petite, a great amount of combination of cute and beautiful, and very much shy and silent, yet she's not hangout with popular girls and mostly directly went back home when the school was over, she's just mostly by herself.

So one day one of us tell that he thinks she's so pretty, and ask confirmation to others what they think about her, and all the boys just make a group confession about how they adore her, since then we talk about her a lot.

At that time I was thinking that I can't imagine a being like that able to do lowly human things, like farting, I always laugh by myself now whenever I remembered that. Anyway, I was in middle school and it's such a strange thought.

I can't approach her though, she's afraid of me lol.

Even my largest penguin is still movable. Though I'm sure it did look weird on the day I brought it home from the store, as it's the size of a small child.
Ah, a stuffed animal lover. :D

Here is a 600x600 avatar I snipped today off the internets if anyone wants it.
I don't think we are limited to 200x200 pixels anymore.

Size of a small child...

Ah, a stuffed animal lover. :D
My penguin collection is infamous on three different forums. :D

Emperor penguin chicks in holiday sweaters:

penguin-halloween.jpg

emperor-chick-in-snowflake-sweater.jpg

Emperor mom and chick (I put a piece of marble from my rock collection under the chick so it doesn't look like the chick is floating off the ground)

emperor-penguin-and-chick-plush_1024x1024.png

King penguin and adolescent chick; adolescents get covered in brown feathers before they molt and turn into the adult penguins we normally see. This is a small(ish) figurine, and the detail on it is fantastic:

King Penguin & Baby (1).png

I don't have this t-shirt since the online place where I get most of my penguin stuff doesn't carry it in my size (so this is just a wishful thinking, if-only item). The penguins shown on it are Gentoos (I do have a plush Gentoo).

Penguin-Shirt-Funny_grande.jpg

Started working on a new story. Will likely write this in English from the start, not translate it later.
If you see 9 buttons transfixed to a dead-end, you may be tempted to look for a password; it's only human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom