[RD] Russia Invades Ukraine: War News Thread: Round 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, is this for real? Most infantile thing ever. They should have pirated a copy of Photoshop or at least used Windows Paint while sat in a proper table instead of using the cellphone photo editing app while going in the bus to the primary school in the morning. :D

But it is the kind of information luminaries like innonimautu loves, meanwhile us, the dumb brainwashed mass, must rely on minuciously documented sources like oryx, worldwide prestigious press agencies and all that old fashioned crap.
Yep, for troop losses, they moved Ukrainian losses up to the Russian losses. For Ukrainian losses, they swapped 16 to 61 (low) and 17 to 71 (high). Russian fighter/bomber from 72 to 7 and rotary wing from 82 to 8. For Russian ground vehicles 6004 to 600. Doubled Ukrainian SAM losses. Apparently happy with Ukrainian aircraft losses, they didn't change those numbers.

A bit sensationalistic video, but it's nicely shows what's the one thing Russians care about and what can hurt Putin's popularity.

Putin has tightened hes grip on power since the wide spread protests of 2014
I doubt there will be anything Russians will be able to do to democraticly remove him from power, as the Russian economy regresses Putin regime will simply become more oppressive
NK comes to mind, of a Dicatorship with an improverish economy

If one reasons about this war, it was obvious from day one that helping Ukraine could only be done by ending the war by agreeing to peace terms that could not be refused. It could have been done by "the west", by the US government really, in day one. Having Ukraine fight it out is not "helping", it is "using up". Ukraine has been used up s a tool. And to add insult to injury that use was useless.
Well, since you are eloquent about your views.

What would the Russian endgame for a Europe be here?

If ordered according to how the Russian government would prefer, what would that look like iyo?

OMG, is this for real? Most infantile thing ever. They should have pirated a copy of Photoshop or at least used Windows Paint while sat in a proper table instead of using the cellphone photo editing app while going in the bus to the primary school in the morning. :D

But it is the kind of information luminaries like innonimautu loves, meanwhile us, the dumb brainwashed mass, must rely on minuciously documented sources like oryx, worldwide prestigious press agencies and all that old fashioned crap.

We're so stupid. Wonder how the copium logic works if Ukraine routs Russia.

Well, since you are eloquent about your views.

What would the Russian endgame for a Europe be here?

If ordered according to how the Russian government would prefer, what would that look like iyo?
I do wonder what "agreeing to peace terms that could not be refused" could be ....

I do wonder what "agreeing to peace terms that could not be refused" could be ....
Well, Inno's view of the situation is so far removed from mine, likely same as yours, that asking is the only way to work out what he might even mean.

Apart from that apparently the US decides all anyway.

Which tends to be the bit where the Russians, and before them the Soviets, have NEVER understood what a "hegemon" really is, what it does and how the position works – viz. Lavrov's recent statements of what Russia wants/demands as a general outcome of this war. If they did – and Inno actually – they would realize why thinking the US could just decide things of that import willy-niilly is completely ass-backwards. But they don't, so they don't.

Rightly or wrongly, Innos getting dogpiled enough so I'll keep this short:

Why does he tell the story such that USA/NATO is so all powerful that it is effectively in control of both sides? Is it so that they can be fully guilty of all consequences, and Russia fully innocent?

Why does he tell the story such that USA/NATO is so all powerful that it is effectively in control of both sides? Is it so that they can be fully guilty of all consequences, and Russia fully innocent?
You're trying to apply rationale to delusional conspiracy ramblings which have no connection to reality. There's no reason. The sole motivator for them ramblings is not liking a thing.

Vitaly Votanovsky flees Russia after documenting a Wagner cemetery​

A Russian activist who revealed details of the burials of Wagner mercenaries killed in Ukraine has left Russia.
Vitaly Votanovsky, who began documenting the deaths of Russian soldiers in Ukraine by monitoring graveyards in his home region, fled the country on 4 April after receiving numerous death threats.
He spoke to the BBC from the Armenian capital Yerevan.

Last year, Vitaly spent his 50th birthday in a jail cell.

The activist, from the southern Russian region of Krasnodar, was arrested and jailed on 24 February 2022, the day of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The former Russian army officer had gone out to protest that day in clothes emblazoned with the words "No to Putin!" and "No to the war!"

Photos of Vitaly in his outfit are included in official court documents which Vitaly showed to the BBC.
"Because of that coat I got 20 days in jail!" he says.

In Krasnodar, Vitaly is known not for street protests, but for documenting graves.
He was the first person to discover a now-infamous cemetery in the small village of Bakinskaya in Krasnodar Region, since known as the Wagner cemetery.
This is where the notoriously brutal mercenary group buries many of its dead from Ukraine - men who either have no relatives or whose bodies are unclaimed.
It has grown from a small village graveyard into an enormous cemetery, with several new zones to accommodate the ever-increasing number of dead. Security guards now patrol the facility.

On Thursday, Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin visited the cemetery in Bakinskaya village and said he planned to turn it into a memorial "for future generations".
The mercenary group chief admitted that the graveyard has expanded, adding "that's the way life is".
Vitaly started travelling around Krasnodar Region in May 2022, visiting every single graveyard to record the numbers of the fallen.
"I needed to prove to people that there was a catastrophe happening," Vitaly tells me, "that people were dying here, close to them.
"I needed to show people that the war would affect everyone and everything."

He painstakingly recorded the names and details of all the graves he found.

By the time he fled Russia earlier this month, his database contained over 1,300 names - which included the dead from the Krasnodar Region only.
Vitaly identified the graves of the men who had died in the war - as opposed to regular, civilian deaths - by asking local people, as well as studying the wreaths and photos on the graves.
In December 2022, the activist went to Bakinskaya to photograph graves of regular soldiers.
But while there, cemetery workers told Vitaly and his colleague that they were burying Wagner mercenaries killed in battle.
"When we were there, there were already 48 Wagner graves. Then, the next time we went, a few days later, there were 95 graves. Then 164. Then around 270," he says.
Vitaly kept returning to document the numbers and names of the dead. I ask Vitaly if he knew who the men were. "It was obvious they were convicts and mercenaries," he tells me.
"They were recruited from prisons. Journalists looked into the names and found out what they had gone to prison for."

But it wasn't just the deceased Wagner fighters at Bakinskaya cemetery that Vitaly was documenting.
He continued to monitor all the military dead at all the cemeteries in the Krasnodar region. And what he found shocked him.
"The fact is, since December 2022, Russia's battlefield losses multiplied by several times," says Vitaly, citing the statistics he's collected in Krasnodar.
"Deaths have simply skyrocketed. And recently, at the cemeteries, the graves have been all mobilised soldiers and Wagner guys. There have been very few [professional soldiers]."
Several Western intelligence agencies have claimed that the Russian army is running low on men.
Last year, President Putin announced a "partial mobilisation" in Russia - hundreds of thousands of men were drafted into the armed forces and sent to the frontline in Ukraine.
The last official death toll provided by the Russian military was in September 2022, when Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said 5,937 troops had died in Ukraine.
Estimates on total losses vary, but most US and European officials put the Russian death toll at well over 60,000.

Vitaly started getting threats many months ago.
"As soon as I made my first post about graves, the threats started. Barrages of them. I started off by saving them all, but they got so many I stopped. 'We'll kill you, we'll throttle you.'
"In January, someone phoned and offered me 'a spot at the cemetery,'" Vitaly explains. "There were three such calls - I got two, and my driver Viktor got one."
The BBC has been shown copies of the death threats and a recording of the phone call.
In it, an identified man disguises his threat as a cold call from a company selling graveyard plots and coffins. He chillingly insists that: "Now is the time you should be thinking about the end of your life."
The activist says the final straw came last week.
"I was walking past a police station in Krasnodar and a police officer [recognised me]. He said 'Get ready. It's coming.' He meant the state's reaction [to]…interviews I was giving. They already had enough to open a serious criminal case against me."
Vitaly escaped to Armenia, and now plans to request political asylum in Germany.
I ask Vitaly why the authorities don't want people like him publishing information about Wagner and about Russian casualties in the war.
"For our state these are terrifying statistics," Vitaly claims, "and the Russian people just don't know the true numbers. I wanted to show people the real scale of the disaster.
"If people were to find out the true numbers of battlefield losses, they'd go crazy."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65213426

Also, today bit of milestone, as the visually confirmed Russian equipment losses in Ukraine just passed 10 000 units:

Even with no undercount whatsoever, it is a significant volume.
That is a lot of equipment. At least two corps' worth. Certainly, combined with estimated casualties, it is a heavy cost for minimal gains. I'd imagine Ukrainian losses are heavy as well. Modern warfare consumes people and weapon systems at a frightful rate.

From what I can make out, he doesn't claim that they control Russia, but that Russia is playing the role of Dirty Harry in cleaning out the criminals using less than savoury methods.

Russia and autocracy good. Western democracy bad.

The attrition war is by design, having this war drag on is necessary for Russia's strategic goals.
:lol:

The longer the war goes on, the worse America looks? Are you alright over there? I mean, think about it: they’ve lost territories they gained in the initial advance in 2022, they’ve had to call up their reserve, NATO has expanded.

That is a lot of equipment. At least two corps' worth. Certainly, combined with estimated casualties, it is a heavy cost for minimal gains. I'd imagine Ukrainian losses are heavy as well. Modern warfare consumes people and weapon systems at a frightful rate.
Oryx lists that as well – about 1/3 of the Russian losses to date.

I tend to check then Ukranian more in detail, not just because the Russian one is rather long by now, but because it is more interesting what kind of western-made stuff might crop up on it, when, and whether certain things have yet to do so.

Ukraine is not being "supported". It's being used. And it was set up to be used. And, unforgivable, it was a stupid scheme all along bound to fail. It's pure waste.

To be more specific, ukranians were set up. The sitting president there played the role of peace-maker when campaigning for the job, who would end the civil war, against the war-maker Poroshenko. Was voted into office on that platform. And afterwards promptly betrayed that vote. Ukrainians were played on, to be used for the already stated purpose (by the curring US administration, it's on their public record) of "weakening Russia". They are being wasted in their hundreds of thousands as pawns. And it's a failed crusade: the rest of the world not directly involved is aligning with Russia, against the US. Vassals are deserting it, look at Saudi Arabia for an obvious example, I told you here, one year ago, to look at what SA would do, it was predictable. Look at countries from Indonesia to Malaysia to Brasil dumping the US dollar and stating they do so to be rid of vulnerability to US pressure.

The motives for this war are, I say again, essential to understand where it is going and how it can (will eventually) end. Russia motives, US motives, "european" motives. The motives of ukranians unfortunately matter little now which means they are stuck on this.

The motives of russian elites can be found either by reading their media, including official statements, but also the vast discussion of those - its a society with plenty of debate and skepticism, russians have become cynics after their experiences of the 1990s. But of course their media is mostly censored in the oh-so-free "west". You can also look at "western" analysis of russian motives, which in the military and academic press sometimes can be almost devoid of propaganda.
If you want my opinion, the decision to accept the war in 2022 was not light, the trap in it was seen and the russian government walked into it because they judged the odds of turning the tables on the US good. So they met the challenge and after 8 years denying recognition and protection to the separatists, changed policy, recognized them and formally sign a defense treaty with them. It was a clear warning: back off immediately or there is war. By then the russian government had indeed made the decision for war. Also did the "west": before the military war started the EU eagerly went for economic war with sanctions already ready that were supposed to cause the russian economy to collapse, and the US ordered Ukraine's government not to back off (and as Nuland bragged long ago had invested a lot of money making sure it pulled the strings there). In both places (the EU countries and Ukraine) there were enough people bought and deceived by the neocons's propaganda of american hegemony and inevitable "western" victory that the war party prevailed. War it was.
Now, the russian goal of preserving their independence (avoiding regime change in Russia) could be done in other ways without engaging in war to defend the separatist republics. In 2023 Russia could have evacuated those territories as it evacuated Kherson, without the government on Moscow falling. Granting NATO a victory with the usual ethnic cleansing as had been done in Yugoslavia (Krajina). So the decision to meet the threat and go to war now, instead of submitting like Serbia did in 1995, was done looking at matters well beyond Ukraine. It was NATO's expansion, the military threat it posed. Talk of arming Ukraine with nuclear weapons, and they had people crazy enough about exterminating russians that they might use them. And, this is critical, seeing that countries that matter in the rest of the world are fed up with western meddling and willing to turn against the west. The time was ripe to attempt to end western european vassalage to the US. This is Russia's war goal: kick the US out of western Europe, extend russian influence there even if not to the same degree as the US now holds.
This is relevant because it means there will be no ease fire in Ukraine, and no desire for a quick victory there. The attrition war is by design, having this war drag on is necessary for Russia's strategic goals.
- it exposes american military weakness, as its equipment fails to get its proxy to win in a serious war. And not just a wuick war but one that took long enough to rule the excuses of human error or lack of training. Wonder-weapons just keep failing, much as Saudi Arabia kept failing to crush the Houtis in Yemen and lost standing (and ultimately faith in american military power and western weapons) because of it.
- it exposes NATO as worthless because all its support and training cannot help its proxy win a real war, its open promises of support get shown as useless. Worse than useless, a path to disaster.
- it militarily disarms western Europe without having to engage in war with western european countries, as they helpfully sent their usable military equipment to Ukraine to be destroyed
- it makes the silly european governments shoot their own economies with sanctoning their own supply of cheap energy and raw materials, to the benefit of asian (and american) competitors. This causes economic hardship and therefore political trouble inside those european countries and ends up threatening their regimes - the sanctions weapon turned against its creators, and the blame is entirely of its governments.
A quick defeat of Ukraine would just be written off and forgotten. A dragged on attrition war cannot be written off or ignored. It keeps having consequences in Europe. To the point where western european governments must exit it. And they get to do it by ditching the american alliance.

The portion of the ruling elites of the "west" who planned for this war - the neocons - calculated that they could draw Russia to fight a war - they were correct - and that they could defeat Russia through economic pressure and because its army would be weak - they were completely wrong on both counts - do a regime change there and and then resume the looting of the country like in Yeltsin's days. The rest of the ruling elites of the west just blindly followed along because they're so used to "neocolonial" wars having no bad consequences for them that what the hell why not go along with another adventure. Obviously businessmen are very unhappy with thus but they failed to lobby against it strongly when they could - before the crap started flying - and then it was very hard to go against the "humanitarian war" propaganda apparatus. Greed probably played a role on that groups inaction: what if the neocons were right and regime change followed by looting could be done?
Now in the "west" the game is up, Russia cannot be defeated militarily, not isolated economically. The world at large does not care to volunteer to fight the wars of its old colonial masters. If they let any emotional response intrude in foreign policy, it will be joy at seeing those former colonial masters losing one, and relief at seeing their military threat (Libya was destroyed for defying the "west") taken down. The european and american materiel and mercenaries destroyed in Ukraine cannot be used for attacking another Iraq or Libya. The US withdrew finally from Afghanistan because it couldn't support the logistics of keeping its occupation there while fighting a war with Russia over Ukraine. The hegemon is visibly overstretched and so the vassals can escape. They are ditching the dollar and they're not getting regime-changed or bombed into anarchy as a mafiosi lesson for those who cease paying protection money.
And western elites are now split.
The remaining industrialists want sanctions ended and a return to the past. but the past is past, the political requirements for "globalized" trade have changed: accept a "multi-lateral" world. So be it, they have no reason to dislike that.
The financiers would want to keep the "world financial system" as it was, meaning "free" capital flows and the use of the dollar without impediments (such as sanctions) that drive away business. A new cold war is very bad for their business. But, again, the political requirements have changed... and the new world will handle many currencies, which is by no means bad for people engaged in finance. But will mean they must spread around the world, and indeed the UAE is already snatching a lot of business from London, with Singapore and Bombay trying to also. In China even HK is getting rehabilitated to make a run for the business alongside Shanghai (smart move, never let one financial center grow too influential inside the country). The financial types can live quite well with this change, they are not the kind to have any local roots or national allegiances any longer.
The military... they do not want to all die in a nuclear war. So an escape from the present situation by running forward, towards WW3, is out.
So, who remains? Only the ideologues are in on the "crusade against Russia and the multi-polar world" no matter what. The rest of the people that matter are willing to come to terms with the change, drop the US as the "necessary country" and adapt to a multi-polar world.

This is the reason why Russia is taking the war slow, and abstaining from escalating or inflicting real (military) pain on the european NATO co-belligerents. They intend to win and they are winning. Again, evidence of that is who the world outside the US and vassals is reacting, their ditching of the dollar and ignoring of sanctions and attempts at intimidation. The world has already changed. Western Europe is the only place still resisting change because many among the "elites" here drank too much of its own propaganda! All the "humanitarian wars" and phony "rule of war" and "we are the garden and the others are barbarians". These people are blind ideologues and this place needs has to go through some house cleaning before it recognizes it's living in the past. We're lucky the goal for the "asian alliance" in this is to draw european countries into accepting a new security and political architecture of the world. Not to destroy them. Any self-inflicted harm we here in western Europe suffer is on our own governments through the blow-back from their policies. I'm rather sanguine about the war not getting beyond Ukraine's borders.

@Birdjaguar regarding facts: if you choose to disregard anything but your own governments propaganda, how could I ever supply you facts that would make you satisfied?
That corrupt german Ursula heading the EU already admitted to more than a hundred thousand military dead in Ukraine months ago, only for the press to pretend it was never said. I did mention it here (link included). So do the recent leaked documents from the NATO side, only for the intelligence agency annexes NYT and WP to publish what to me are obviolsy fake news claiming that "the numbers were doctored". You choose to believe in such allegations by media well known to carry water to intelligence agencies planting false stories (found those WMD in Iraq already?), what can I do? At least do not censor what the people outside that propaganda bubble say.
You already saw "western" sources admitting to casualties in Ukraine (dead in action only...) into hundreds of thousands. Multiple western sources have put russian casualties under 20 thousand (I pointed you to the BBC's inquiries into military burials also months ago). This is coherent with universally cknowleged relevant military facts of this war: that Russia has a huge advantage in artillet ude, and that most casualties in any modern war are caused by explosives. Obviously the side on the receiving end of the biggest tonnage of explosives is going to have the highers casualties.
But you still would rather believe the war propaganda that Ukraine is wining and all is going wonderfully in NATO's anti-Russia crusade? Frankly that is because you need to believe in the propaganda, otherwise you could not justify your ideological support to continuing this war. In other words: the propaganda is having its desired effect on you.

If I may ask: have you been deceived by the "Iraq has WMD" claim back then? By the "serbians massacred albanian civilians in Kosovo" thing back then? By the "back viagra fueled mercenaries raping for Qaddafi" more recently? By the mythical "moderate jihadis" in Syria? Perhaps you should examine your willingness to believe your favorite sources for what passes for information, before insisting on question other people's. I have pointed out all these hoaxes as they happened. Long before they were admitted. "Ukraine is winning" is also a hoax. It's losing, badly. The country, its population, is being used to in a failed war to sustain an hegemony hat has already collapsed. In plans hatched by the kind of people who said (Madelaine Albright) that a million iraqui children dead were a price worth paying to hold back Saddam. Basically in every new war hatched by the monsters you are willing to simply believe their narrative on what is pure which and what is blackest black?
Come on, you are old enough and experienced enough to know that they lie, and lie, and lie. And that behind every war are many groups pulling their own ways, spinning their own false narratives, and you must reason through it all. Not just "read the facts" in today's paper. Therefore this "war news thread" should not be just a dump of second-hand propaganda from whatever the media is carrying today. If it is to have any value at all, it must look back and forward also, it must analyze and compare narratives, it must reason about motives.

If one reasons about this war, it was obvious from day one that helping Ukraine could only be done by ending the war by agreeing to peace terms that could not be refused. It could have been done by "the west", by the US government really, in day one. Having Ukraine fight it out is not "helping", it is "using up". Ukraine has been used up s a tool. And to add insult to injury that use was useless.
See red text above:
  • Yes, Ukraine was set up from the very start in 2014 by Putin to be his restoration of empire event.
  • Putin has failed in his goal to extend Russian influence into western Europe and he has expanded NATO to the East even more. Whatever progress he might have made prior to 2022 has been completely lost.
  • Who is ditching the dollar and by how much? If this is true you should have some actual evidence of it from the financial news. Please show me your sources.
  • No, I have not been deceived now or in the past nor have I been a supporter of previous US foreign policy exercises such as you mentioned. The Russian invasion of Ukraine is now and always has been, a Putin project. There are few if any actual facts to support most of what you have posted falls squarely into into the "pro Putin propaganda" playing field.

What seems pretty clear to me is that you have been deceived and misled by Putin about the state of the Russian army, its side of the war and the determination of NATO to support Ukraine. Time will tell who has been closer to the truth. The invasion of Ukraine by Putin has changed Europe and is influencing the rest of the world too. At the moment, the biggest loser has been Russia. Its army has shown itself to be total crap; its economy is in a shambles; its citizens have been fleeing; it has lost its key energy markets in Europe and Putin and associates have been declared war criminals.

Last edited:
What seems pretty clear to me is that you have been deceived and misled by Putin about the state of the Russian army, its side of the war and the determination of NATO to support Ukraine. Time will tell who has been closer to the truth. The invasion of Ukraine by Putin has changed Europe and is influencing the rest of the world too. At the moment, the biggest loser has been Russia. Its army has shown itself to be total crap; its economy is in a shambles; its citizens have been fleeing; it has lost its key energy markets in Europe and Putin and associates have been declared war criminals.

... and Putin's illegal war is effectively turning the Russian Federation into a Chinese vassal state aka North Korea 2.0 in front of our eyes.

...which is what US, EU, India and other Asians do not want. This is probably current Russian calculation.

...which is what US, EU, India and other Asians do not want. This is probably current Russian calculation.

I think that if you make that NK comparison to Russian ultra nationalists (or just Russians in general), they will laugh and tell you to go sodomize yourself.

The reason why no one in the West trembles anymore whenever Kim Jong-un decides to test a ballistic missile next to South Korea or Japan, is because they know that North Korea will not do crazy things without Beijings approval and that approval will never be forthcoming. Kim probably likes to be thought of as unpredictable and dangerous to his enemies, but as long as he is held in a leash from Beijing, he's harmless.

• Who is ditching the dollar and by how much? If this is true you should have some actual evidence of it from the financial news. Please show me your sources.

That's Russia ditching the dollar for obvious reasons. Basically it means they can't really trade rubles for dollars in any significant capacity.

Basically means you're now reliant on China.

Brazil isn't ditching the dollar they're just willing to get paid in yuan they're not dumping USD.

It will be interesting to see what the Republic of India does.

At the moment India seems quite firm for using the US dollar,
but that is probably more due to their own disputes with China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom