The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I never saw politics the same way. We were both fairly liberal in our thinking, and while I did vote for the Liberal party, she voted for the New Democrats. It made no difference because we could agree on core issues, and neither party was inherently corrupt like the Conservative party was. She did like to needle me about politics from time to time, but we loved each other so much that it didn't matter.

Sometimes love does transcend politics and religion.

Sort of weird to call it that, if it does not?

We were in some ways similar. In some ways very not.

Last edited:
the narrative against me has apparently changed . Cutting down one from the number of affairs ı supposedly have at the same time , reportedly there is a monthly deposit at a bank account everybody but me knows to exist . Assuming it involves high tech exports to US , which in itself would be amazing to say the least , what would be the likely position of one as a regular engineer making about 70 000 dollars a month ? Probably higher than a chimney boy , and certainly far below a CEO , ı guess ?

if this comment involves my question , ı have to say that ı don't understand it ...

as a further expansion of the query , the Turkish equivalent would be what , 200 times the minimum wage ? Yet seeing threads here , at 15$ per hour multiplied by 8 hours a day and 25 days a month , 3000 bucks should be perfectly available in the US , bringing it down to a 20 odd multiple of the minimally paid ... lf it was real , and obviously it is NOT real , what would be my position as an engineer ? One of dozens in the production line , staring at a computer screen for quality control on the rivets on some F-15EX ? The top engineer in the shift ? The top engineer of the factory ? The guy who led the design work ? The guy who forced the EX down the throat of USAF ?

people here are trying to fit me somewhere , because they are seeing New Turkey will not be forever and their own made up stories now bug them , kinda , sorta . Have been like famously setting global oil prices or running the global drug trade ; accused of being married to some Hollywood persona was like easy ... Wealth ı don't have is equally risky as having it ; fast cars with loud music would be speeding past me , me myself yet again mocked for not having a taste for life , you know , before some guy would never forgive me after inventing a story of the mere possibility that his loud music would have been written to mock me ... (Not yet , but any rapper would be heroic by dissing me !)

thanks . It is not real , but if it was apparently ı would have been high , but not THAT high ...

3000 dollars/month is nice, but not anything great. Roughly 2550 euros. Which is nowhere near the average pay I get, but once it was almost 2000 euros for a month, so not entirely otherworldly either.
That said, even a standard pay of 2000 euros/month would be good for me, at least as long as I still am in Greece. Here a living wage is basically 1000 euros/month, so 2000 euros/month allows you to actually rent somewhere nice.

When comparing salaries between countries you have take many things into account, more than just exchange rates. Especially when comparing Europeans and US salaries, in the Netherlands there are some things subtracted from the salary by the employer before receive it while in the US it that's responsibility of the employee.

I am talking about your final pay, after the stuff have been subtracted.
Laws here ensure you lose (usually) upwards of 20% of each month's pay (whether to mandatory insurance or other stuff). In some cases, with austerity laws, it gets to 40% - but it's all humane and livable.

Last edited:
one third of 1000 euros should be the minimum monthly wage here , always discussed in a context of looking for a family of four . Labour unions discuss the amount as the starvation limit , the powerty line (for a family of four) should be just about 1000 . Some advantage to prices being low overall or something ...

will possibly hold ; a few people still assuming it is real or something , so should bolster the effort . So , everybody KNOWS this to be not the truth and we wouldn't fit in any case , but it is awesomely fitting . The height difference is almost factual , and the Kungfu Panda movies will attest to my once claimed martial arts skills , and the attitude will be familiar :

Spoiler :

7c6ff31214861444.jpg

ı don't why it is this large scale thing , anyhow . Must be one of her kids photoshopped out

Tbh, if you don't need to rent (live in your own place, or live with others who pay the rent or own), then you don't need 1000 euro/month as a livable wage. But it still would be at the very least around 600 euros, if we are realistic and with nothing special added (power, phone, water bills + food and similar).
But if you are renting (as I am), 1000 euro/month is basically the lower end of the safe limit; unless you rent some hole underground/tiny first floor apartment.

Anything half-decent (and I mean studio-sized; 50-70 square meters) here will set you back 400+ euros/month. Prior to the crisis it used to be more expensive, but it still is expensive relative to the wages.

If I stated, Covid is possibly to be a greater event and crisis than the cold war and 911, in the scale on how it affect our-life, damage world economy to the point that it would hard near impossible to recover again, where the pre-covid world life can possibily be something that forever we put back in the past, we would unable to come back there again. how true is this statement?

We still unable to measure what is the peak of this pandemic yet, I mean the virus has an ability to by-pass our immune system through rapid mutation, this might not be the first pandemic in human history, but this is the first in the terms that the virus is very contagious, this is happening when world network and flow of peoples are connected in a way that we have never seen before. So many government and expert actually don't know how to react to this, the combination of that and many other factors makes this particular pandemic is our first experience.

It's definitely bigger than cold war, and it has a potential to be bigger than that of 911.

What do you guys think? I'm not historian here, my comparison might be absurd, that's why I'm asking here.

If I stated, Covid is possibly to be a greater event and crisis than the cold war and 911, in the scale on how it affect our-life, damage world economy to the point that it would hard near impossible to recover again, where the pre-covid world life can possibily be something that forever we put back in the past, we would unable to come back there again. how true is this statement?

We still unable to measure what is the peak of this pandemic yet, I mean the virus has an ability to by-pass our immune system through rapid mutation, this might not be the first pandemic in human history, but this is the first in the terms that the virus is very contagious, this is happening when world network and flow of peoples are connected in a way that we have never seen before. So many government and expert actually don't know how to react to this, the combination of that and many other factors makes this particular pandemic is our first experience.

It's definitely bigger than cold war, and it has a potential to be bigger than that of 911.

What do you guys think? I'm not historian here, my comparison might be absurd, that's why I'm asking here.
I am also no historian, but I would say the cold war had a much bigger effect than 911. The cold war defined just about every country level interaction that happened for 50 years. 911 was used as an excuse to bomb a load of poor people, but I am sure they would have found a reason without it.

As you say, we do not know the full impact of covid yet, but I would put it between 911 and the cold war if it stops killing people one way or another. If it remains circulating and killing a significant proportion of the population then perhaps bigger than both.

If the cold war was marked by closed borders and rapid armament, what around us are we not seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom