The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in the long run, which source of the two would be better? Half a chicken costs roughly as much as two small packs of anchovies :)
For any meaningful definition of "better" chicken will be cheaper. It probably would be if you only count the collagen, but I would not swear to it.

The other source of collagen would be the "bones" of anything in the shark/ray family. Unlike most fish like anchovies their skeleton is made of collagen not bone. If you live near a fish market, and could get say the heads of anything in the shark/ray family cheap then that would be a very rich source. I would probably pressure cook them to get a semi liquid product that I could freeze and add to stuff.

the joints and ends of bones are the best parts of chicken.

They do have good gnaw potential.

the joints and ends of bones are the best parts of chicken.

Meat that closer to the bone are better, it absorb marination better also. I try to avoid chest, unless there are no other option I would not complain, but it's generally more tasteless. However older generation in Indonesia prefer chest than thigh or other part of chicken, during the time of poverty of colonialism and early independent this was the bigger part of the chicken that is reserved for the senior.

OK, here's a wonderfully superfluous question. But it's been bugging me.

I'm watching season 4 of Cougar Town (without giving spoilers, a show where wine drinking is simply ubiquitous). And I noticed something about all the many American shows I watch regularly, and this is why I'm directly asking:

Where's the white wine?
To clarify, every time characters are toasting, sparkling white wine is everywhere. But whenever they're meeting at a restaurant or drinking at home, it's always, always red wine. Hence my question:

The way you see it, does red wine simply look better on camera, or does it just reflect still white wine's popularity in America?

I think it is because red shows up better as wine. For toasting, you want the bubbly that looks like Dom Perignon.

I'm watching season 4 of Cougar Town (without giving spoilers, a show where wine drinking is simply ubiquitous). And I noticed something about all the many American shows I watch regularly, and this is why I'm directly asking:

Where's the white wine?
To clarify, every time characters are toasting, sparkling white wine is everywhere. But whenever they're meeting at a restaurant or drinking at home, it's always, always red wine. Hence my question:

The way you see it, does red wine simply look better on camera, or does it just reflect still white wine's popularity in America?

It's about the visuals. Many things in TV and movies are done as they are simply because a more subtle approach doesn't film well.

Anyone? :S
I am afraid I cannot help you. I did try to do this for my work about a decade ago, and I can only remember that I could not find one that worked well or that met your specifications. I guess it is a hard problem for a computer to do the work you are trying to record AND at the same time do the video compression and storage.

Where's the white wine?

Every time I think of "white wine", I think of Dallas and other soap operas, where a female character wants wine and always chooses white. This would happen in scenes when the character was either alone or having a drink or lunch with another woman. Since I don't drink wine, I have no idea why.

That said, there were times in my theatre years when wine was in the script and of course it was something people picked up and used, so it was a prop - and part of my department.

I remember when we did The Sound of Music, and had to try out different flavors of Kool-Aid (couldn't afford the real stuff, not to mention rules about having wine and liquor around the child actors). We had to figure out exactly which color would look like the sort of wine that Captain von Trapp would serve at a fancy party, so one night we did lighting tests with the various kinds. What looks like normal red wine up close doesn't look even remotely right under stage lights.

Famously they couldn't find anything to stand in for larger in the final scene of Ice Cold in Alex. The whole film is about surviving the desert, with the promise that at nearest town has a bar with a fridge, and thus, ice cold beer. Prop beer just couldn't make the grade. After a couple of takes the star had to have a little lay down.

Taken from the movies thread:
You guys might have changed, but I'm still young and youthful (cough cough) (looks around...)

:p :lol:
What is it they say? You're only as old as the woman you feel? ;)
In that case, I'm 32.
Well, good for you! (And her...)

I just need to find a younger man too. :p
I remember years ago it was said that the youngest woman a man should date was half his own age, plus 7 years. So a 14-year-old boy could date a 14-year-old girl; a 30-yr-old man could date a 23-yr-old woman; a 50-yr-old man could date a 32-yr-old woman; etc.

That was in the '90s, for men who dated women. Does this rule-of-thumb still work today? Is there any such rule-of-thumb for men who date men, or for women, whoever they date?

It was never clear to me why the formulation existed in the first place. Maybe it was mostly for younger guys? I actually did date an 18-yr-old when I was 22. At the time, I felt like I was immature for my age and she was mature for hers, but maybe that was more typical of our peer group than it felt like it was to me. Maybe a 22-yr-old guy dating an 18-yr-old woman isn't particularly noteworthy.

Is there an age gap in a partner, or just in a date, that would make you feel self-conscious?

p.s. Another thing that made me think of this, in addition to the exchange above, was reading an article about the actress Florence Pugh, age 25, who's been getting some stick on social media for dating Zach Braff, age 44. Of maybe he's the one who's been getting the grief. Either way, it's social media, somebody's always irate about something. But still, it got me thinking.

Last edited:
I think that anything over 10 years is problematic, and personally I am fine with up to a 5 year gap (I mean either myself or the other person being older). Obviously depends on how the other person is (also looks). I did (for a while) date a girl who was 5 years older than me, but looked a lot younger than her age.
A dear friend of mine is something like 10 years older than me, and I wouldn't mind if she saw me that way. But I don't think she does :p

Taken from the movies thread:

I remember years ago it was said that the youngest woman a man should date was half his own age, plus 7 years. So a 14-year-old boy could date a 14-year-old girl; a 30-yr-old man could date a 23-yr-old woman; a 50-yr-old man could date a 32-yr-old woman; etc.

That was in the '90s, for men who dated women. Does this rule-of-thumb still work today? Is there any such rule-of-thumb for men who date men, or for women, whoever they date?

It was never clear to me why the formulation existed in the first place. Maybe it was mostly for younger guys? I actually did date an 18-yr-old when I was 22. At the time, I felt like I was immature for my age and she was mature for hers, but maybe that was more typical of our peer group than it felt like it was to me. Maybe a 22-yr-old guy dating an 18-yr-old woman isn't particularly noteworthy.

Is there an age gap in a partner, or just in a date, that would make you feel self-conscious?

p.s. Another thing that made me think of this, in addition to the exchange above, was reading an article about the actress Florence Pugh, age 25, who's been getting some stick on social media for dating Zach Braff, age 44. Of maybe he's the one who's been getting the grief. Either way, it's social media, somebody's always irate about something. But still, it got me thinking.
I like that "rule". It offers some degree of "protection" for younger women who might be preyed upon by "sophisticated" 30 year olds. It also can keep elderly gentlemen from embarrassing themselves with 25 year olds. Rules aside, people are going to do what they want to do. Jeffrey Epstein and company anyone? If I were single and on the prowl, I'd be a bit embarrassed dating a woman the same age as my kids. The rules would put my lower limit at the mid 40s.

Since I do like the rule, I think it fits for any combination of genders. The fly in the ointments is that dopamine driven romantic love knows no bounds and can and will make us do crazy things.

I've only had one relationship, so I really can't be the voice of experience on any of this stuff. :p

I like that "rule". It offers some degree of "protection" for younger women who might be preyed upon by "sophisticated" 30 year olds. It also can keep elderly gentlemen from embarrassing themselves with 25 year olds.

Why would you care about any such "rule" if you really wanted to start something?

That said, on a dating platform I'm currently talking to a woman roughly 50% older than me, but a) that'll not be a relationship :groucho: b) the rule doesn't give an upper limit ^^.
I've also been hanging around with some Erasmus exchange students last year, and man, they'd fall under that limit, and I did actually feel old.

it comes from some British writer immensely famous for a book that would explain stuff . If a company spent "time" for furniture and carpets in its new headquarters it had already finished growing . If a person was late to a social thing , a ball or a gala or whatever , it was because he/she took self as important and the waiting period would increase as per the status of the person in question , like the company owner not particularly threatened with the fallout with a delay of an hour . Supposedly also explains why women keep men waiting . Don't know myself or something , being some 50 year old virgin .

and as an extra it also factors in physical stuff ; finding a new lower while married to some old guy was not a thing every women could handle without scandal , even in societies of , shall we say , loose morals .

Why would you care about any such "rule" if you really wanted to start something?

That said, on a dating platform I'm currently talking to a woman roughly 50% older than me, but a) that'll not be a relationship :groucho: b) the rule doesn't give an upper limit ^^.
I've also been hanging around with some Erasmus exchange students last year, and man, they'd fall under that limit, and I did actually feel old.
Most people don't know about such rules and don't care about age differences. Romantic love discards all rules and reason in its longing for the beloved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom