The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem wasn't a sudden scorching, but the build up of about a year's worth of heating the counter when being used, eventually it badly discolored my quartz counter top. I noticed it when I moved it once to clean under it. I think the oven was malfunctioning because two weeks before when I cleaned it wasn't like that, but it left a big rectangular burn mark on my counter top. I had to replace a large section of counter as a result.
I was gonna say " get better counter tops, but if you have quartz, that shouldn't apply. Bummer. I guess you need to put a nice basket or bowl over the spot.

We have had toaster ovens for decades and never had issues. Our counters are porcelain tiles. I do admit though, the toaster ovens can be wonky and get out of control. When we go out of town, we always unplug ours.

In a job application when the question is "why did you leave" (a previous job) what are you supposed to answer when the real answer is simply "I hated it"?

"to seek new opportunities"
This is a great answer. Others: looking for more responsibility; Want to grow my skills/industry knowledge; looking for a company with upward mobility; I want to apply what I know in a company that is growing; etc.

This is a great answer. Others: looking for more responsibility; Want to grow my skills/industry knowledge; looking for a company with upward mobility; I want to apply what I know in a company that is growing; etc.
Ok i guess ill try this

Might come off flat tho as I didn't get another job for a year afterwards, just been doing ubereats

Ok i guess ill try this

Might come off flat tho as I didn't get another job for a year afterwards, just been doing ubereats
Big gaps in employment need their explanations. Be ready to explain why you choose ubereats.

Its easy, I dont know what I'm doing in life?

Whats a good lie?
Start with the truth. If that doesn't work, then it doesn't matter what the the lie is.

In a job application when the question is "why did you leave" (a previous job) what are you supposed to answer when the real answer is simply "I hated it"?

"The situation was not an appropriate fit".

Any interest in a "Trip to Vietnam" thread, similar to the others I've done? I went all over the country. I wouldn't start it until the new year, probably, but just gauging interest now. It's my last "big trip" that i haven't written up yet.

Any interest in a "Trip to Vietnam" thread, similar to the others I've done? I went all over the country. I wouldn't start it until the new year, probably, but just gauging interest now. It's my last "big trip" that i haven't written up yet.
Yes, please. :yup:

Yes, please.
Seconded

Last edited:

Sure. We travel vicariously through your adventures.

:)

Say 2 people have a UK address, and they want to establish if the addresses they have refer to the same place but neither wants to give the other the address they have if they are different. What is the best way to do this?

I have had an uptick in scammers/cold callers. I try to make a GDPR subject access request of them, but do not want to give scammers more personal information and they do not want to give someone else's address to me. Is there a way we can establish if the address they have is mine?

Couple of points:
  • There is enough variation in how addresses are written that "hash of the address" would not establish if they refer to the same place.
  • We have post codes, 7 or 8 alphanumeric characters, but they are sparse enough that the hash of the postcode is likely to be unique unique (1.7 million postcodes, there are 3 * 10^12 combinations of 8 characters).

Ok I'll start ruminating on a Vietnam thread! But not sure when I'll start posting, probably at some point in december.

New Question:

I watched the Avengers movie the other day (sucked it up and got disney+). I do not watch superhero movies so I haven't seen any of the other movies in the marvel universe or whatever, except possibly Iron Man 1 & 2. And the one with Star Lord (the first one, the second one was so bad I had to stop watching). Either way, I can't remember anything from Iron Man and Star Lord seems somewhat unrelated for now.

I figured I would watch the Avengers movies first. There's 4 of them it seems, and they seem to possibly tie all the other movies together, so it seems like a good way to get into this whole thing. I do not want to "start at the beginning" because I don't have an interest to watch all these movies really. But maybe? So I'll watch the avengers movies first and then go back and watch the movies about the characters who appeal to me. I'll probably re-watch Iron Man, because he has a sense of humour that appeals to me. And I vaguely remember the movie (or movies?) I watched about him being pretty good.

My question revolves around Captain Marvel. I was looking through the "chronological watching order" for these movies, and it seems that each Avengers character gets a movie set in time at some point before The Avengers is set. So.. Thor, Captain America, uhm who is there, Green angry dude, and iron man. But.. There is a Captain Marvel movie on the list too, but I do not remember seeing her in the Avengers movie. Is she like a secret Avenger that joins the gang later or something? Is this wrapped up in spoilers - i.e. should I stop asking questions and just watch the rest of the Avengers movies and this question will be answered in due time? If so, plz don't answer this question and just tell me to watch. But if this is not explained in the Avengers movie then I'd like to know, as it will probably impact what movies I end up watching later.

For full context - I know almost nothing about Marvel, this universe, the characters, etc. although I have seen some of the old spiderman movies and I know some of these characters since they're so popular (everybody knows about Iron Man, etc.). So you can assume I am a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff and treat it as such.\

Follow-up questions: Are they planning any more Avengers movies or are these 4 movies it? And please stay away from spoilers thx!

Ok I'll start ruminating on a Vietnam thread! But not sure when I'll start posting, probably at some point in december.

New Question:

I watched the Avengers movie the other day (sucked it up and got disney+). I do not watch superhero movies so I haven't seen any of the other movies in the marvel universe or whatever, except possibly Iron Man 1 & 2. And the one with Star Lord (the first one, the second one was so bad I had to stop watching). Either way, I can't remember anything from Iron Man and Star Lord seems somewhat unrelated for now.

I figured I would watch the Avengers movies first. There's 4 of them it seems, and they seem to possibly tie all the other movies together, so it seems like a good way to get into this whole thing. I do not want to "start at the beginning" because I don't have an interest to watch all these movies really. But maybe? So I'll watch the avengers movies first and then go back and watch the movies about the characters who appeal to me. I'll probably re-watch Iron Man, because he has a sense of humour that appeals to me. And I vaguely remember the movie (or movies?) I watched about him being pretty good.

My question revolves around Captain Marvel. I was looking through the "chronological watching order" for these movies, and it seems that each Avengers character gets a movie set in time at some point before The Avengers is set. So.. Thor, Captain America, uhm who is there, Green angry dude, and iron man. But.. There is a Captain Marvel movie on the list too, but I do not remember seeing her in the Avengers movie. Is she like a secret Avenger that joins the gang later or something? Is this wrapped up in spoilers - i.e. should I stop asking questions and just watch the rest of the Avengers movies and this question will be answered in due time? If so, plz don't answer this question and just tell me to watch. But if this is not explained in the Avengers movie then I'd like to know, as it will probably impact what movies I end up watching later.

For full context - I know almost nothing about Marvel, this universe, the characters, etc. although I have seen some of the old spiderman movies and I know some of these characters since they're so popular (everybody knows about Iron Man, etc.). So you can assume I am a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff and treat it as such.\

Follow-up questions: Are they planning any more Avengers movies or are these 4 movies it? And please stay away from spoilers thx!
I recommend watching the movies in release order, not the in-universe chronology. Captain Marvel doesn't join the Avengers until the last movie, Endgame.

One tip: Captain America: Civil War is a stealth Avengers movie, even though it doesn't have Avengers in the title. If you only want to the team-up movies, it's Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame.

It's unclear whether future team-up movies will be called Avengers or not. Almost all of the original cast are ready to move on and their contracts have expired. I think only Chris Hemsworth (Thor) is continuing, although there's a non-zero possibility that Jeremy Renner could appear in a Disney+ series. So if there are more Avengers movies, it'll be with people like Tom Holland's Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Benedict Cumberbatch's Dr. Strange.

Okay cool, thanks for the insights! For now I'm going to watch the 4 tie-in movies and go from there. Sounds like I should watch the Captain America movies next maybe, if I still have an interest after I finish the Avengers?

Which of the spin-offs are viewed in especially high regard (whether by critics or the fanbase)? To give you an idea as to what sort of thing appeals to me.. I quite liked Guardians of the Galaxy VOl. 1 but hated the first 20 minutes of the sequel. I quite liked Deadpool as well, and I remember liking Iron Man a bit from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom