The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyr wrote about this in one of the threads. He was the king reigning when Greece abolished its monarchy. Spent more of his life not-king than king.

He was King of the Hellenes, rather than King of Greece, but yes.

I saw this because the Shah of Iran put a condolence message on Twitter. I don’t follow him on Twitter but some people I follow had responded.

I saw on Twitter that King Constantine of Greece died, I didn’t know they had a king.
I don't know what your question is, but the correct word is ‘claimant’.

Are you all able to stay in the sweet spot while drinking or do you fall off on apathy or sickness? Asking for a friend.

Are you all able to stay in the sweet spot while drinking or do you fall off on apathy or sickness? Asking for a friend.
It depends on how you define "sweet spot". I have managed to not make myself sick on the night for quite a while, while enjoying the effects quite a lot. However I now get hang overs with less booze than it takes to get drunk, so there is that.

Drink not the third glasse, which thou canst not tame,
When once it is within thee; but before
Mayst rule it, as thou list; and poure the shame,
Which it would poure on thee, upon the floore.

It is most just to throw that on the ground,
Which would throw me there, if I keep the round.

George Herbert, The Church Porch

It depends on how you define "sweet spot". I have managed to not make myself sick on the night for quite a while, while enjoying the effects quite a lot. However I now get hang overs with less booze than it takes to get drunk, so there is that.
Yes, works for me too in most cases, but it requires that you know how much you can take over which time frame.

That said, the last time I went out I ended up misjudging the time frame, extensively puked that night, don't remember the uber ride home, and spent at least 1h on the floor in 2 different rooms in my apartment. So maybe Ineed to adjust my judgement.

The gimmick with these kind of brushes is that they have activated charcoal in the bristles. "Activated" in this case just means that the charcoal has been produced in a way that makes it much more porous and so able to absorb other substances than regular charcoal. Activated charcoal does have some medical uses - it's a standard part of treatment for various ingested poisons for example, as they can absorb and trap various harmful substances before they are absorbed by the digestive tract.

This has resulted in a recent trend for activated charcoal dental products (not just brushes, but also toothpaste, floss etc.), driven by, shall we say, the "alternative" crowd. It's not the first time we've seen these kind of real poisoning treatments get latched onto in the quest to get rid of those nebulous "toxins". There's a similar (and dangerous) type of woo that's grown up around EDTA, a standard treatment for heavy metal poisoning. At least activated charcoal is relatively harmless by comparison.

You're right charcoal can be abrasive though, although I suspect the amount that's embedded in these bristles is small enough that it'll have negligible effect (this also means it doesn't have enough volume to absorb any significant amount of those mysterious "toxins"). Eroding enamel is more of a concern with the toothpastes and so on, where your teeth are getting exposed to far larger amounts of fresh charcoal with every brush. As to any alleged benefits, there's at least one very dubious study claiming a modest reduction in bacteria around the gums, but I wouldn't place much value on it. Most of the claims made about the benefits of charcoal in dental products are completely unsupported scientifically.

"Toxin-absorption"-woo aside, putting powdered charcoal into toothpaste as a mild abrasive would presumably be ecologically/ environmentally preferable to using plastic nanobeads, which is what a lot of bathroom-product manufacturers currently do ...

god I hope activated charcoal doesn’t become a thing that they start putting in every product.

god I hope activated charcoal doesn’t become a thing that they start putting in every product.

You're a bit late on that. It's been a popular fad for a few years now. There's even food grade activated charcoal for fancy looking black smoothies and bread....

yeah I know about the food grade charcoal. My worry was about the possibility that it becomes ubiquitous and sneaks it’s way into a bunch of normal non-fad products as a general “eco-friendly” replacement for microplastics.

avoiding the stuff is already hard enough as it is

Every asbestos-free™ product, you mean!

avoiding the stuff is already hard enough as it is
(Apart from the extra cost due to it being a food-faddy product right now) Why would you (general or specific) want to avoid activated charcoal?

Does it (also) interfere with e.g. absorption of drugs generally, and/or hormone-supplements specifically?

@aimeeandbeatles, how did your hard candy/glass jar situation work out? Were you successful in removing it?

(Apart from the extra cost due to it being a food-faddy product right now) Why would you (general or specific) want to avoid activated charcoal?

Does it (also) interfere with e.g. absorption of drugs generally, and/or hormone-supplements specifically?

Yes, studies have suggested it can inhibit the absorption of estrogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom