1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Toilet lid.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LucyDuke, Apr 9, 2015.

?

Toilet lid, not in use, should be

1. down.

47.3%
  2. up.

34.5%
  3. downtown, baby.

18.2%
  1. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

i close it except when its open

2. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I keep both the lid and the seat down when not in use. That way, both ladies and men are equally inconvenienced.

3. Truthy

Truthy Non-boolean

I've been persuaded

4. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

^Absolutely. Keep the lid down when flushing every time.

But then I raise it again to see how clean the bowl is afterwards. Then I'll likely give the thing a bit of a clean, and probably leave the lid up for any passersby to have a casual inspection should they wish. (And some dogs like to take a drink there too. There's no accounting for dogs, is there?)

Imagine raising the lid only to be confronted with evidence left by a previous user! That could upset a person's day.

5. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

Lid stays up - can't see any reason to close it. Seat gets left in the position it was last used.

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

So. You're happy with spraying an aerosol of bacteria about the room every time you flush?

Remind me not to lick your bathroom walls when I visit, please.

7. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

At the moment, I live by myself, so I just have a bucket that I carry around the flat that I wee/poo into, and a carrier bag for used toilet paper. Then, at the end of every month, I'll empty it out of my window onto the street. I live on the top floor, so this is most convenient for me, but I guess most people have to empty their buckets somewhere else?

Anyway, I realise that most people don't live by themselves, so I'll answer as though I shared with someone else.

In someone else's house I'll usually leave it how I found it, but if it's my own toilet, I'll leave it in its natural, unmolested state after I'm done. I see no good reason to touch/move/alter the toilet seat or lid in any way after I've finished weeing/pooing, so I'll just get up (if necessary), flush, wash hands and leave.

If there is a high risk of splashback from the flusher, or if the consequence of splashback is particularly high in this instance, then I'll close the lid before flushing. Otherwise I'll just flush.

8. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Lid goes down, something moderately heavy goes on top of the lid. Or else the monkey ninja toddler will have thrown some small object in there before you notice he's even in the room. While chanting "no no no" to himself.

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Well. All these various responses have me disgusted! Lid up. Lid down. They're both just plain vile.

And that's all I have to say on the issue, for the moment.

If this were a prison, or a French toilet, there'd be no lid to raise or lower.

10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Boomshakalaka.

Near as I can tell, the world is coated in a fine mist of feces. Mine and otherwise. I breathe it and eat it and lick it and love it. So long as I don't actively bite off chunks of it, things work out fine. Now, this bothers some people. And they very much attempt to rectalfy the situation. What they seem to mostly accomplish is increasing the risk that the next generation is going to be allergic to everything.

11. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

Up. Let the light in. Do not hide your secret shame . . .

12. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Lid down.

13. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Lid up.

For those that prefer down, how do you feel about public restrooms? Most of the toilets I've seen in public rest rooms don't have lids, just the seat. And the mens rooms have urinals

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Lid goes down in my house because there's a dog. If it wasn't for the dog, it wouldn't matter.

15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Well public restrooms don't have my shower towel directly next to the toilet.

And my grandfather's house had a urinal, I miss that.

It's pretty easy to train dogs not to drink from toilets. Dogs at any house I've lived at haven't been allowed to use stairs, toilets or furniture.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

My roommate thinks he's the dog whisperer, but he hasn't been able to train her not to do that. So we keep the toilet lids down.

17. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

If it's not down, what's the point of having it?

18. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

Since reality doesn't apply to the higher-ups of corporate culture, I will follow their lead and ensure that all toilets are like then toilets at Wrigley Field.

19. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Bacteria and poop are everywhere.

20. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

What about all of the household cleaning chemicals you're spraying everywhere? That stuff's actually toxic, yet people are more concerned about poop molecules escaping the toilet.