Toilet lid.

Toilet lid, not in use, should be

• Total voters
I keep both the lid and the seat down when not in use. That way, both ladies and men are equally inconvenienced.

^Absolutely. Keep the lid down when flushing every time.

But then I raise it again to see how clean the bowl is afterwards. Then I'll likely give the thing a bit of a clean, and probably leave the lid up for any passersby to have a casual inspection should they wish. (And some dogs like to take a drink there too. There's no accounting for dogs, is there?)

Imagine raising the lid only to be confronted with evidence left by a previous user! That could upset a person's day.

Lid stays up - can't see any reason to close it. Seat gets left in the position it was last used.

So. You're happy with spraying an aerosol of bacteria about the room every time you flush?

Remind me not to lick your bathroom walls when I visit, please.

At the moment, I live by myself, so I just have a bucket that I carry around the flat that I wee/poo into, and a carrier bag for used toilet paper. Then, at the end of every month, I'll empty it out of my window onto the street. I live on the top floor, so this is most convenient for me, but I guess most people have to empty their buckets somewhere else?

Anyway, I realise that most people don't live by themselves, so I'll answer as though I shared with someone else.

In someone else's house I'll usually leave it how I found it, but if it's my own toilet, I'll leave it in its natural, unmolested state after I'm done. I see no good reason to touch/move/alter the toilet seat or lid in any way after I've finished weeing/pooing, so I'll just get up (if necessary), flush, wash hands and leave.

If there is a high risk of splashback from the flusher, or if the consequence of splashback is particularly high in this instance, then I'll close the lid before flushing. Otherwise I'll just flush.

Well. All these various responses have me disgusted! Lid up. Lid down. They're both just plain vile.

And that's all I have to say on the issue, for the moment.

If this were a prison, or a French toilet, there'd be no lid to raise or lower.

Lid goes down in cases you have a small kid in the house. Or a shower in the same room and you take your undies off, close the lid, place those undies on the seat and collect them on exit. Otherwise open lid shows that toilet is clean and inviting. Plus it minimizes your interaction with a toilet -- you don't need to open and close the lid every time you go there. Who wants to touch the toilet 4-5 times a day? Hands free toilet and precision bombing all the way!

Boomshakalaka.

So. You're happy with spraying an aerosol of bacteria about the room every time you flush?

Near as I can tell, the world is coated in a fine mist of feces. Mine and otherwise. I breathe it and eat it and lick it and love it. So long as I don't actively bite off chunks of it, things work out fine. Now, this bothers some people. And they very much attempt to rectalfy the situation. What they seem to mostly accomplish is increasing the risk that the next generation is going to be allergic to everything.

Lid up.

For those that prefer down, how do you feel about public restrooms? Most of the toilets I've seen in public rest rooms don't have lids, just the seat. And the mens rooms have urinals

Lid up.

For those that prefer down, how do you feel about public restrooms? Most of the toilets I've seen in public rest rooms don't have lids, just the seat. And the mens rooms have urinals

Well public restrooms don't have my shower towel directly next to the toilet.

And my grandfather's house had a urinal, I miss that.

Lid goes down in my house because there's a dog. If it wasn't for the dog, it wouldn't matter.

It's pretty easy to train dogs not to drink from toilets. Dogs at any house I've lived at haven't been allowed to use stairs, toilets or furniture.

Since reality doesn't apply to the higher-ups of corporate culture, I will follow their lead and ensure that all toilets are like then toilets at Wrigley Field.

Bacteria and poop are everywhere.

Bacteria and poop are everywhere.
What about all of the household cleaning chemicals you're spraying everywhere? That stuff's actually toxic, yet people are more concerned about poop molecules escaping the toilet.

Top Bottom