Trouble in the Gulf: Ties to Qatar cut

Y'know, say what you like about Stalin, if he had a point, he sodding well made it. None of these games.

Have a whisky and ignore him, in whichever order suits you best.
Is bourbon okay? Out of Scotch, I'm afraid, disgraceful as that is.

If this is going to be about how I'm the real racist because I suggested that people like Luiz, for all the show they make of condemning Soviet atrocities, are basically fine with genocide when it happens to people who don't look like them,
Lol wut. Projecting much?

Infracted for flaming.
"Covertly discriminatory"? What?

If this is going to be about how I'm the real racist because I suggested that people like Luiz, for all the show they make of condemning Soviet atrocities, are basically fine with genocide when it happens to people who don't look like them, then, please, spare this poor sinner your sermonising, for it will fall on deaf and uncomprehending ears.
That's a BS, outrageous accusation and you know it.

Are the victims of Hugo Chaves all white too? I feel like I talk more about them than Stalin's victims. How about the religious minorities being butchered in the Middle East by Islamists? Did I not point out that on the same week that we mourned the dead in Manchester, an even greater number was butchered in Egypt? Do they look like me too?

Go to hell.

It is you and your ilk who gladly approve of violence, of murder and genocide as long as it serves a "noble" political purpose. Don't come and preach morality here. There's nothing moral about you, your politics, your heroes. I will not take any lesson from a damn communist. Go preach to your disgusting kind.

Moderator Action: Flaming is unacceptable on CFC. Your first two paragraphs were fine, the latter two were not. - Vincour
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is going to be about how I'm the real racist because I suggested that people like Luiz, for all the show they make of condemning Soviet atrocities, are basically fine with genocide when it happens to people who don't look like them, then, please, spare this poor sinner your sermonising, for it will fall on deaf and uncomprehending ears.

I am not saying that you are a racist but that you keep a mindset through which you projects racial discrimination as a motive of action on others.

Lets cool off the discussion guys if possible I sense a chance for a bit of a constructive dialoge and perhaps possibility for clearing up some misunderstandings...

Meanwhile, in Qatar…

Wow, what a fight! I'm taking the communists side :)
Don't have whisky, but I think Cuban rum would be appropriate too.

I believe there are no Communist-run governments in the Arab world currently.

And these Islamists are against alcohol.

I am not saying that you are a racist but that you keep a mindset through which you projects racial discrimination as a motive of action on others.
Putting Indians in concentration camps is pretty unambiguously racist, yeah. I'm frankly not prepared to have a discussion on that point.

Putting Indians in concentration camps is pretty unambiguously racist, yeah. I'm frankly not prepared to have a discussion on that point.
I think the issue is larger then that. You can limit it to see it just as a racial thing but thats oversimplification.

For example was puting American Japanese in WWII in concentration camps a racist thing? Possibly. Partialy. But likely above all it was a war necessity.

My problem with you bringing up racism in discussion over nationality is that this labeling doesnt clarify the issue but it helps to miss the point or in worse case it serves as a tool for silencing others and subtle manipulation.

Here's the list:

-Shut down the Al Jazeera media network and its affiliates.
- Halt the development of a Turkish military base in the country.
- Reduce diplomatic ties with Iran.
- Cut ties to extremist organizations [sever ties with the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS, al Qaeda, Hezbollah and Jabhat Fateh al Sham.]
- Stop interfering in the four countries' affairs.
- Stop the practice of giving Qatari nationality to citizens of the four countries.
The list also demands that Qatar pay reparations to the four countries for damages or costs incurred because of Qatari policies.

I think the issue is larger then that. You can limit it to see it just as a racial thing but thats oversimplification.

For example was puting American Japanese in WWII in concentration camps a racist thing? Possibly. Partialy. But likely above all it was a war necessity.
Jesus Christ. I don't even know how to begin responding to this kind of nihilism.

Absolutely!
You mean the authorities told the US citizens "these are just a bunch of inferior Japs so we are going to locked them up and yeah there is a war on the top of that too."

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. I don't even know how to begin responding to this kind of nihilism.

There are two basic ways to miss the point here. One is not to be willing to name a reality for what it is and the other is to give it a name which misrepresents it. You think I practise the former while I blame you for the later.

Here's the list:
-Shut down the Al Jazeera media network and its affiliates.
- Halt the development of a Turkish military base in the country.
- Reduce diplomatic ties with Iran.
- Cut ties to extremist organizations [sever ties with the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS, al Qaeda, Hezbollah and Jabhat Fateh al Sham.]
- Stop interfering in the four countries' affairs.
- Stop the practice of giving Qatari nationality to citizens of the four countries.
The list also demands that Qatar pay reparations to the four countries for damages or costs incurred because of Qatari policies.
Demand #5 makes the whole list be a ‘do what I say, not what I do’ thing.

Sure, like Der Stürmer was just reporting.

But nothing to fear of Islamist propaganda, right?
Weren't you the guy who said a few years ago that Erdogan and his party were just like European Christian Democrats, and all concerns in the West over a Islamist party in power were due to unwarranted Islamophobia? How do you feel now?

There's no such thing as democratic political Islam. Al Jazeera is a voice of political Islam, and hence it's undemocratic.

Even the so-called moderate Islamist countries like Tunisia (often called by apologists the success story of the Islamist Spring) are now harassing and even arresting people who refuse to feast on Ramadan, and banned Wonder Woman because the lead actress is Israeli. There's no such thing as moderate Islamism.

You ever take a moment, look in the rear view mirror, take a deep breath, and think "wow I'm pretty far gone here"?

The current Egyptian government? Eh, no. It actively tries to protect the Copt minority, for instance (which is still murdered in huge numbers by Islamists). It takes a firm stand against radical preaching, against anti semitism, and all those other things which are just a part of life in other Middle Eastern countries.
Well, the Egyptian government is certainly doing a bang-up job at stopping the violence. It makes sense that the Egyptian government should double down on being an ageing collection of unaccountable plutocrats who view rifle bullets as a perfectly legitimate way to deal with dissent.

I heard they also lynch negroes in America. Kinda disappointed you didn't bring that up.
So, are you saying there was not a systemic effort by the Federal and State governments in the US to force out the Native tribes -including through concentration camps?

You ever take a moment, look in the rear view mirror, take a deep breath, and think "wow I'm pretty far gone here"?
Nah, not when he is on a roll like this.

You mean the authorities told the US citizens "these are just a bunch of inferior Japs so we are going to locked them up and yeah there is a war on the top of that too."
Something like that. The Court granted deference to the military's assertion that people on the West Coast of Japanese heritage were a security threat. They didn't explain why German and Italian nationals did not pose a similar threat nor did the Japanese in the Hawaiian Islands, including the Japanese spy who lived in Aiea and who could see Pearl Harbor through his front window.

If you want me to school you on the Korematsu case etc., please start another threat. We're a little off topic here.

Wait, we didn't round up the Japanese living in Hawaii?
Learn something new every day.

Top Bottom