Trouble in the Gulf: Ties to Qatar cut

I take it that you now believe that those people should spend their lives in the place they were born, and will be moving back to Brazil shortly?
Actually I do believe it unfortunate that people move about so much instead of focusing on improving "their own" lands...
Wait, so you're comparing one guy (with European nationality by bloodright BTW) spending some years living abroad with an imperial power deliberately settling hundreds of thousands of its people in one of its vassals in order to change their demographic profile? Ooook.

There is no such thing as european nationality. There was a soviet nationality.
You are seeking bogeyman, the russians were not that concerned with demographics at the time. If they had chosen to try to eliminate the different "nationalities" they would have moved to suppress their cultural manifestations. Instead they subsidized them.

Now we could go back to talking about Saudi Arabia and what they will do now that they've worked so hard to alienate their shiite population, whether that will turn them into a repressed "nation within the nation" that will try to break free...

There's no such thing as democratic political Islam.
I thought you were a supporter of undemocratic government for the greater good anyway, so this complaint doesn't make a lot of sense.

You are seeking bogeyman, the russians were not that concerned with demographics at the time. If they had chosen to try to eliminate the different "nationalities" they would have moved to suppress their cultural manifestations. Instead they subsidized them.
FWIW, that was one of the weird things when I was in Lithuania. On the same day I visited the Genocide Museum (aka the "Let's not talk about Lithuanians eagerly helping the Nazis during the Holocaust Museum) and Trakai Castle. The Genocide Museum was entirely filled with stuff on how terrible the Soviets were and how persecuted Lithuanian identity was. Then I was at Trakai Castle and was reading about how the Soviets -even under Great Comrade Stalin- poured significant amounts of money to restore the castle and promote Lithuanian cultural identity. It is like the Soviets were encouraging the idea of civic Lithuanian heritage but were trying their hardest to stamp out the political Lithuanian nationalism. (The "Let's Help the Nazis Round Up Jews" crowd.)

I thought you were a supporter of undemocratic government for the greater good anyway, so this complaint doesn't make a lot of sense.
Well seeing as they're both undemocratic I'll gladly pick the one which is not insanely hostile to the West (and to religious minorities, and to women, and to homosexuals, and to apostates, and to movies starring Israelis, etc).

There is no such thing as european nationality. There was a soviet nationality.

Now we could go back to talking about Saudi Arabia and what they will do now that they've worked so hard to alienate their shiite population, whether that will turn them into a repressed "nation within the nation" that will try to break free...
Funny, my passport says "Unione Europea" on the very top :p

The notion that the soviets were not concerned about nationality is of course ludicrous. Stalin was extremely suspicious of some entire nationalities, and you know it very well. He deported millions of people based on nothing else than their nationality. If that's "not caring", I certainly wouldn't want to see what Uncle Joe did when he cared about something.

As for the Saudi Shia... They're screwed, I guess.

Well seeing as they're both undemocratic I'll gladly pick the one which is not insanely hostile to the West (and to religious minorities, and to women, and to homosexuals, and to apostates, and to movies starring Israelis, etc).
Huh, sounds a lot like the Saudis and current Egyptian government.

He deported millions of people based on nothing else than their nationality.
Deporting people based on their nationality?
Sounds a lot like America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_War_of_1862#Pike_Island_internment

Not white, so not a tragedy. Surely you know how this works by now?
Yes we know how it works by now. It just happens that whenever someone mentions nationality there is a big chance that some eager SJW comes rushing from behind a corner lecturing others on race and relativism.

Last edited:
Huh, sounds a lot like the Saudis and current Egyptian government.
The Saudis, yeah. But again, they're still better than the guys trying to depose them.

The current Egyptian government? Eh, no. It actively tries to protect the Copt minority, for instance (which is still murdered in huge numbers by Islamists). It takes a firm stand against radical preaching, against anti semitism, and all those other things which are just a part of life in other Middle Eastern countries.

In "democratic" Tunisia, people who don't fast during Ramadan can be arrested (or worse). In authoritarian Egypt, you eat what you want when you want. And you can even see Wonder Woman in the cinema! Unlike "democratic" Tunisia, that huge success story of the Islamist Spring.

Ajidica said:
Deporting people based on their nationality?
Sounds a lot like America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_War_of_1862#Pike_Island_internment

I heard they also lynch negroes in America. Kinda disappointed you didn't bring that up.

What what? You dont subscibe to the concept of races so why do you promote the idea of it? Dude its 2017 not the 60ies in Murica mkay?

I honestly have no idea what you're saying.
I am talking about you being covertly discriminatory by unnecessarily bringing up the subject of race.

I am talking about you being covertly discriminatory by unnecessarily bringing up the subject of race.
"Covertly discriminatory"? What?

If this is going to be about how I'm the real racist because I suggested that people like Luiz, for all the show they make of condemning Soviet atrocities, are basically fine with genocide when it happens to people who don't look like them, then, please, spare this poor sinner your sermonising, for it will fall on deaf and uncomprehending ears.

So uh I dunno why we're talking about Estonia but the Saudis have demanded Qatar close down Al Jazeera
Estonia happened because I made an off-hand comment about Russification a couple days ago, red_elk gave a short answer and luiz's commie-dar was pinged.
On the one hand, that's clearly bullying meant to protect some autocracies from criticism.

On the other, good riddance. Al Jazeera has caused incalculable damage to the Middle East. What's more, I don't remember they ever voicing any criticism of the Qatari autocracy. So their motto of bringing pluralism and diversity to the Arab media is a bit false.
Do you even watch Al-Jazeera?
Have a whisky and ignore him, in whichever order suits you best.

Its my turn for bewilderment. Why dont you tell us more about "how things works" instead? Or even better: have some whisky...

Top Bottom