v23 Bugs and Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
With "Realistic Cultural Spread" on I sometimes get no spread at all!

Either that or you get only one tile in the "water" area, i thought it was just my crazy games i was playing again, :whew: cause i try to crash games and i thought tht this was just an effect that i was having, thx for saying something.

SO, you got me wrong - EVERY time I start a new RANDOM game, it breaks on the turn #2.
Wasn't so in v22.
So I first thought it was due to me using too much civs on the Duel map, but it repeats itself under any other combinations of maps and civs.
But the scenarios are OK.
Have no idea, what happens or where to look for "details", cause it's an "every-time-I-start" thing.
And I'm not NEW, but won't say more, for obvious reasons.

SO, you got me wrong - EVERY time I start a new RANDOM game, it breaks on the turn #2.
Wasn't so in v22.
So I first thought it was due to me using too much civs on the Duel map, but it repeats itself under any other combinations of maps and civs.
Have no idea, what happens or where to look for "details", cause it's an "every-time-I-start" thing.

Still need a savedgame and if it CTD's a minidump of it.

Also to all SVN users the latest SVN CTD's on saved games, Thunderbrd, its your dll that is doing this, pls correct.

Can you speak in "normal" words - as in, "send me THIS file", instead of speaking as if I know all the fancy names you are referring here...
Also, there's no "save" file - it crashes the moment I press ENTER the FIRST time in a game.
Or should I try any OLD save to watch the result???

EDIT:
HUH?!?
NOW IT WORKS AGAIN!!!
Doesn't make ANY sense, though.
All I did, was load an old SAVE, play a turn, then switch back to a New Game.
And it WORKS now...
Still, I suggest looking for POSSIBLE reasons, including modmod incompatibilities, cause the ERROR took place multiple times before, thus there WAS a reason for it.
Anyways, thanks for your quick reaction, even if I didn't need it, which is the BEST thing anyways. :D

Can you speak in "normal" words - as in, "send me THIS file", instead of speaking as if I know all the fancy names you are referring here...
Also, there's no "save" file - it crashes the moment I press ENTER the FIRST time in a game.
Or should I try any OLD save to watch the result???

Sorry, didnt know you were new new to CivIV

1. savedgame (attached pic 1) in this area (send the file that you were playing 1 turn before it happens.
2. mini dump (attached pic 2) in this area (put in a zipped file)
3. screenshot: Press PctScn/SysRq button on keyboard (usually top right area) same 1 turn before it happens screenie

Hows that:confused:

I edited the post.
The problem somehow disappeared, but you should check for the possible causes anyways.
It DID happen before...
As of the files...
I KNOW what's a savegame (don't make me THAT stupid), but I didn't know what's a dump (or how to GET one to be precise), and I can't see the attached pics.
(Probably will see them when my account will be activated fully, they're in the last post, right?)
Anyways, thanks, and I really hope I WON'T need any more help on this or any other error. :D

EDIT:
I can see them now.
What's with this SITE???
As of dumps, I have only the v23 C2C installed (I removed all the others), so just name me the main FILES that could be of interest.
(For the future / just curious.)

Also to all SVN users the latest SVN CTD's on saved games, Thunderbrd, its your dll that is doing this, pls correct.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was about to d/l the new one (my last SVN update was yesterday), so I would have wasted my 1000 turn save file.

Pathing problem - I want my Hunter north of Sidon to go into the gap in Phen...'s borders but it wont because it tries to go through their territory and we don't have any agreements yet.

Wasn't so in v22.

I suspect you're trying to play a game on normal or faster speed... causes problems at the moment.

DH said:
Pathing problem - I want my Hunter north of Sidon to go into the gap in Phen...'s borders but it wont because it tries to go through their territory and we don't have any agreements yet.
This also causes an immediate OOS whenever it happens in multiplayer play. I hadn't mentioned it since I figured it would be noted eventually but it's caused us quite a few when boats try to sail through enemy territory in their routing. If the unit has enough movement to get to where the other computer shows the units, it will resolve itself, but only if it can do it in the same round it went OOS.

As for my latest DLL, since DH's latest causes a problem as well, how can I know if that's the source of our save game incompatibility issue and if its worth resolving, especially when resolution may mean improper programming remains in place in the dll? I will be working on figuring out how to work the SVN to update the backup dll and such so y'all can check that minidump (something I'd also like to get a pointer to the instructions on running myself if possible...)

Bear Rider and Giraffe Wonder movies need to be fixed, there is only a small picture with a big white background that says Movie Needed.

Bear Rider and Giraffe Wonder movies need to be fixed, there is only a small picture with a big white background that says Movie Needed.

Thats the way they are intended to be, because its just a picture and not a
"long" movie, because they take up alot of space (bik's).

It seems that unit limit per tile doesn't work properly in v23. I set it this value to 12. See the picture attached - Bismarck keeps at least 16 units in the city. Interesting thing is that this rule applies to my units, but not in every case. I.e. I managed to put 3 GG on a tile where 12 units already stationed.

I like this option and it worked fine in previous versions :sad:

Attachments

• unit limit.JPG
    unit limit.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 82
It seems that unit limit per tile doesn't work properly in v23. I set it this value to 12. See the picture attached - Bismarck keeps at least 16 units in the city. Interesting thing is that this rule applies to my units, but not in every case. I.e. I managed to put 3 GG on a tile where 12 units already stationed.

I like this option and it worked fine in previous versions :sad:

In previous versions (and indeed this one) it can cause e game to hang and never complete turns. I really don't recommend using it. This happens because the AI has zero understanding of it and so can get hung up when it can't make moves it expects to. It also cripples the AIs ability to stage attacks, since all the AI strategy is centered around single attack stacks reaching sufficient power levels - if that neve happens the AI will never attack. Since it would require a major rewrite of all AI attack logic to address this I have never considered it worthwhile, so just warning you that it's not really a good option in terms of it's (unintended I'm sure) side effects.

In previous versions (and indeed this one) it can cause e game to hang and never complete turns. I really don't recommend using it. This happens because the AI has zero understanding of it and so can get hung up when it can't make moves it expects to. It also cripples the AIs ability to stage attacks, since all the AI strategy is centered around single attack stacks reaching sufficient power levels - if that never happens the AI will never attack. Since it would require a major rewrite of all AI attack logic to address this I have never considered it worthwhile, so just warning you that it's not really a good option in terms of it's (unintended I'm sure) side effects.

So in the best case scenario then what is your recommendation the setting be set on then, if at all on anything?

So in the best case scenario then what is your recommendation the setting be set on then, if at all on anything?

My recommendation is that it be off. Ifvyou are goingbto use it dont try to set it to anything below 12 or so for sure. Whatever you set it at, if you station more than about that number of reasonably strong defensive units in the tiles comprising a city and it's immediately adjacent neighbors you can pretty much guarantee you won't ever get attacked, so it's fairly easy to game the system wi it turned on.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was about to d/l the new one (my last SVN update was yesterday), so I would have wasted my 1000 turn save file.

You always can do svn update -r <previous revision number> if new revision is problematic.

You always can do svn update -r <previous revision number> if new revision is problematic.

I just d/l it and didn't change the folder until I was done with that game; from now on I'm renaming all new revision folders until I'm sure they work (it's not like I'm short of HDD space).

Is anyone aware of a bug that messes with starting XP for units - XP awarded from buildings and civics? (I'm am using the SVN version from 3 days ago, build 2536, I was going to update tonight but saw on the SVN thread that there is a change that breaks save games so I'm holding off for now).

I am trying to narrow down when the issue occurs so that I can give a full report, either the hover over pop-up for units in the city screen build bar at the bottom is incorrect in that it shows XP in green that would be given from buildings even after they have gone obsolete, or the XP isn't being awarded properly to some units when they are built - I'm currently unsure which is the case, but if it's not already a known issue I will experiment further to try to narrow it down (and provide screenshots and save game), because it's not consistent for all units or XP giving buildings so might require a bit of fiddling about to reproduce.

EDIT: Seems to be a problem in the unit hover over pop-up in the city build queue, have taken a screenshot to demonstrate but my husband wants to use the PC so it will have to wait for a bit!

Edit again. Right, sorry about that! I already have Military Training, the Warrior's Hut is obsolete.

The first screenshot shows that when I hover over a unit build button in the city screen (in this case the Coyote Runner National Unit) the hover over shows that it will get +3 XP - +1 from my Chief's Hut, and +2 from the obsolete Warrior's Hut. Only 1 XP is given to the newly built unit, so it is the hover over text that is incorrectly showing XP to be awarded from an obsolete building. The unit is given the correct amount of XP (+1 XP from Chief's Hut), it is just the hover over text that is wrong.

The second screenshot shows that the Warrior's Hut is still in the list of buildings I have built in the city, and the buttons at the bottom show that I can build a barracks (demonstrating that I have researched Military Training and that the Warrior's Hut is obsolete). Edit again:Argh the 2nd screenshot only showed the units part of the bar - trust me I have military training and can build barracks, warrior's hut IS obsolete.

The issue is that when I am deciding where to build units, XP that would be given by obsolete buildings shows in green in the hover over text for the unit - I rely on the info in this hover over text quite heavily so it's a bit of an issue for me! Not gamebreaking, but a pain the behind :D I'd be grateful if someone could look into it, Cheers :)

Attachments

• Warrior Hut.jpg
    Warrior Hut.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Warrior Hut 2.jpg
    Warrior Hut 2.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom