What do you want out of life?

I don't know anything about you or your situation, health, or circumstances so my reply here is based just on the two posts in this thread.

For making a difference, what are examples of people who made a difference? Are you expecting to be Thomas Edison or Abraham Lincoln? Is the difference a doctor makes not enough? A volunteer worker? A writer who influences the thinking and personal growth of a few or many readers? Aid workers? If those sorts of things are enough, then are they all out of reach?

I made a thread asking how we can make a difference and got many great ideas, do these things not count enough? If not, is the issue perhaps more of having unrealistic expectations of yourself? And then how come you have such lofty goals? They would be fine if you chased them, but if they just make you more depressed, perhaps they are not great goals to have.

See yungs posts, he seems like a guy who can possibly do big things, but even if he doesn't, it sounds like he truly Enjoys life, knowing all the things you know about it. Now like I said circumstances I'm sure are very different, but perspective is important as well. I know that's a lot to say to someone especially if they had challenges with physical or mental health, however it helps those that do as well. I definitely look at the world like you do (thinking we're doomed) buuuuut why let that ruin everything before it's actually ruined? And again as bad as things seem to get, climate concerns aside, things still just keep getting better for the majority of people. When first worlders largely complain that SJWs or radical feminists are amongst the biggest problems we face, then we really don't have it that bad. And we are not going to really deal with the worst of the climate issues in our lifetime, so while important to empathize and be safe for those who will be affected and future generations, why let that sadness consume our lives?

Meaningful career is tough, mostly the lucky find that most will have to settle paying the bills, but meaningful passions, hobbies, volunteer work, is that not in reach either? I personally have no idea what I'm passionate about, so I relate, but that's not because there isn't meaningful things that we can do out there.

The political chaos won't impact most people, the poor, those with health challenges, certain relations with certain people, sure, but other than the respectability of the system, the system isn't going to fully crash and burn. Sure the rich and corrupt with get richer and more corrupt, but it's not actuallllly going to go fascist and if it does, well we can all take arms up against it and that will solve the making a difference question.

Finding someone, super tough I get it, but I would say this is tied up in everything else. I knew I'd never even want to be someone when I was feeling a similar state to you, and people can tell when we are there, and it's a wall. But if you forget finding someone and focus on the other things, you may be surprised who you might stumble across.

But I'm sure you've heard all this before, and I'm no stranger to a similar perspective, which is why I start these threads, because then I get inspired by the yungs and hobby's and ElMacs and hygros and downtown's and Tims etc. that remind me that, for us first worlders life really isn't that bad and you can really make your own meaning and mark on it.
I looked at the thread you linked and apparently I responded to it. That response still mostly holds true, except that I eat more meat than meat substitutes these days.

Suffice it to say I think the issues humanity faces are severe enough that most human activity is either escapism or something quaint.

I know some pretty cool cats(well, I think they're cool. They'd probably be tornado yokels or something for dillweed media) that live on country lots in IL. Some of them rent, one of them has an affordable mobile up on a permanent foundation. Satellite internet isn't particularly cheap and the ping stinks, but the bandwidth is acceptable. One could work for the department of Ag. Heck, even just passing the Restricted Use Chemicals Applicator Commercial license, then being good at what you do - reduces unneccessary over application. Positive differences in the world are big and small, and the lions share are not respected by society or particularly sexy. Some of them are just cold and hard and windy. But they're still positive.
Well, no offense to the land across the river, but I was really thinking of mountains, streams, and dense forests when I was talking about "semi-wilderness"!

So you got an ego-ideal you believe can not achieve, and hence choose self-pity. But you can also just change your ego-ideal, because that is not set in stone, and if trapped in a self-pity hole, that is perhaps the most effective route towards change. It comes down to checking and reconsidering the assumptions which make your frame. And you need one, which brings you to the moment and makes you do things. Which gives you energy, makes you stronger. Which works. You have one which seems to not work. That is a choice. You just need to realize this.

I sound like a motivational couch. Embarrassing. But that is just psychology 101, really. That is the reason therapy can actually work.
I don't speak psychology, but this is not "self-pity." This is more despair, or resignation.

I'd also be very careful about giving out psychological advice - it rarely goes over well. Especially lines like "You just need to realize this."

not doing it is a guaranteed non-cure.

I mean, sure. And I'm on record ragging against Phrossack elsewhere. But "Just be someone different, bro." as legitimate advice is pretty much hippie woo sold to you by the establishment. Structural issues converted to matters of individual effort and perspective, where the problem is how you look at it instead of what "it" actually is. Perspective does matter greatly, yet reducing an existential issue like Phrossack's to mere decision-making is a bit of a laugh.
Yeah, my issues are generally a bit bigger than "I don't like my job" or "I'm lonely." More like, "Wow, the situation's so bad that all possible actions seem like a waste of time."

Some of it probably is though.
E.g. he wants to have a carrer, but then says it's not achievable. Yet you don't see any specifics about it. I am sure a decision (like what exactly to do, or a commitment to an idea) is missing there, which would probably solve a part of the issue.
I'm trying not to go into specifics. When I do, half the posters, well-meaning or not, turn into amateur psychologists trying to "fix" me with their unsolicited advice based on misunderstandings about my life. So it's best for me to stay vague.
Well, he pinpointed the issue rather clearly. There are things he can pursue that he's interested in, but the impact factor is too low to motivate. Self-motivation, when you've been compromised, is difficult to produce, and even the best therapy in the world won't change a thing unless the mind considers something worth motivating for. When your view of the world suggests that it is fundamentally broken beyond repair, a personal change of perspective can fall flat or even feel like willful ignorance.

Which is why even when I've been a dick to Phrossack I try not to change his view of the world and instead only his view of himself. He sees the two as intrinsically connected, which is maybe true depending on how you approach it, but IMO him not considering himself to be human garbage is a better pursuit than trying to argue that the world is his oyster and he need only reach out and claim it, and all he needs to do to make that happen is flip a switch and be happy/motivated.

Yes. If you're "neurotypical," lacking or not being optimized in how you live is fine or, at worst, a new year's resolution that can be broken in February without any fanfare. If you are broken in some way, anything less than total optimal living is a heinous judgement of your worth and is only indicative of personal failure. The system is always working as intended. If you are unsatisfied, upset, or aimless, it is only because you yourself are the problem.
Pretty much - and you weren't too much of a dick to me, no worries!

The bolded is especially accurate. I'm pretty anhedonic these days - barely able to register pleasure or happiness. And this does a lot more than simply preventing me from having good days - happiness and other emotional rewards are what's behind a lot of effort and curiosity. I can't be bothered to try new things, or learn new things, or even research some things I already find interesting because I no longer feel that little excitement, joy, or revelation when I accomplish or learn something. The joy of discovery drives us to learn, the sense of achievement drives us to achieve, and I no longer feel either very often. It's like eating your favorite meal when you have such a cold that you can't taste it. You know you should enjoy it, you might eat the food anyway, but the joy is gone, replaced with increasingly fuzzy memories of how it used to be.

And when I so strongly believe things are broken beyond any possibility of repair, basically all human activity starts to look like either escapism, or like a child trying to put out a raging house fire with a tiny squirt gun, thinking they're making a difference. I almost have to marvel at how precious it is. So I question everything with, "What's the point?" And normally the answer is, "There isn't one, really." That sucks the motivation out of me.

That's why what I want out of life now is to kill time for another 15-20 years.

Believe in good things and think less. Over thinking is a neurotic distraction from thinking more and better about better things. It will grind your depression into place. Just have good pro self pro social beliefs and find little ways to live them. Have other people around. Follow them when they’re good and don’t get tripped on when they are bad or could be better. And yourself for that matter.
In no particular order.

1. What works for you isn't guaranteed to work for other people. This is a big problem when it comes to people giving feel-good speeches about mental health.
2. Thinking a lot isn't necessarily overthinking.
3. That said, people prone to overthinking often have conditions moderately out of their control that exacerbate it (like anxiety can).

There are absolutely ways where believing in yourself, and not listening to doubt, can help. But that alone is often not enough, and you shouldn't put it forward like it is. This is probably me overthinking the point, given that you advocated taking drugs if drugs are needed (which I agree with - there's far too much stigma against medication with mental illnesses and the like), but I just wanted to really flesh out the overthinking thing.

In no particular order.

1. What works for you isn't guaranteed to work for other people. This is a big problem when it comes to people giving feel-good speeches about mental health.
2. Thinking a lot isn't necessarily overthinking.
3. That said, people prone to overthinking often have conditions moderately out of their control that exacerbate it (like anxiety can).

There are absolutely ways where believing in yourself, and not listening to doubt, can help. But that alone is often not enough, and you shouldn't put it forward like it is. This is probably me overthinking the point, given that you advocated taking drugs if drugs are needed (which I agree with - there's far too much stigma against medication with mental illnesses and the like), but I just wanted to really flesh out the overthinking thing.
None of it alone is enough.

My natural inclination is a bit similar to Phrossack: the worse things got the more alone I wanted to be and the more I kept driving and walking myself into the woods.

The woods won’t save you, but they help a little.

When you have to do everything to escape depression, or most of the things, we gotta celebrate each avenue out. Eating consistently so you have energy to act, sleeping at night and not too few or many hours, moving your body all day, believing correctly, being brave, gassing your chemicals (I switched out of the “healthy” cannabis to drinking, low dose stimulants, and occasional psychedelics, all in context), not believing everything you think, doing pro social things like making yourself attractive and then going for it, getting in sync with the herd/pride, meditating, having a direction and a purpose, therapy and counseling, helping others, taking risks, doing some dangerous things, and maybe most of all, staying focused and one integrated form for hours of the day.

There’s more. And there’s foundations for them like having money to spend. You have to do it all. Briefly you can fetishize one to develop it and ride the high of partial improvement in the next one.

All three times I was deeply depressed, dysfunctional and disabled, my health was bad too. They interplayed. Each time I feared I was hopelessly sick. Each time I did everything or almost to get out and each time I would let go of these behaviors one by one until I rode it all the way down. Usually I would believe being up was bad or uncool, and I would do something out of pocket and be deeply ashamed and want to change, become more perfect, maybe smoke too much, maybe quit everything that was fueling me in hopes I could gain from time and energy savings (hah!) and I would start another cycle down and then back up. Dunno what the future holds but I’m riding this one as far as it takes me.

Well, no offense to the land across the river, but I was really thinking of mountains, streams, and dense forests when I was talking about "semi-wilderness"!

If you're a plains guy you're a plains guy. If you're a forest guy, you're a forest guy. Substitute hillybilly for tornado yokel or whatever. :lol: The d-bags will always have a hot take to punch down. That's why they're d-bags. Eff 'em.

or something quaint.

So ****ing what? According to who? What the hell do they matter, other than d-bags often have power? Bunch of arsewads from Naperville that don't like being outside because it gets hot and once in a blue moon there's a bug we haven't eradicated yet. Eff them. Right in the ear. Or if they like it in the ear, somewhere they don't. They suck buttholes.

Last edited:
This is, imo, complete horsehockey. It's the ideology of self-enslavement. The worker that is constantly updating, fixing, improving himself, especially in his free time, is the capitalists dream. The patient that sees only himself at the root of any mental illness is the psychologists/psychiatrists wet dream. It means that neither he, nor his profession, nor politics, poverty, anyone or anything else are at fault for mental problems. Mental issues are no longer systematic, they're individual deficiencies. Support no longer comes from the society, group, family, workplace, friends, but from self-help books and meditation apps. And the most insane thing is that people champion this like it's the most revolutionary idea of the century, when really it's just repackaged slave morality (Nietzsche) updated for late capitalism with some asinine new-age yoga hippie self help positivity mindfulness bullfeathers thrown in.

See this is exactly how I feel. My wife says all the time you're stressed out and depressed and it's affecting me, you had better fix it. And I try to explain of course I'm stressed out and depressed, we have young children, a tight budget, lots of time constraints, it's a very high stress time in our life and I get no time to play video games and that makes me feel depressed. Which sounds kind of stupid, but you can sub video games for any personal activity you use to unwind. I basically get no me time or not enough for my personality. And she thinks the problem is all me and I need to work on myself. She will say a lot you've changed a ton since we met, and I'm like duh I'm a dad now of course I've changed. That's not to say I want to be a cranky old man like get of my lawn guy, but obviously life is more difficult now that when we first met.

I think the key though is acceptance of the things you cannot change. Change stuff you can, like if my kids are doing too many activities, scale back, or if budget is out of control get it under control. But sometimes your daughter will just wake up 5 times during the night screaming and there's nothing you can do and you just need to accept you're going to be exhausted and cranky the next day and try to deal with it. The problem for me comes when my wife says you're being so cranky and I don't like it, and I say I'm sorry I barely slept, and she thinks the issue is a personality flaw with me and not the environment. You need to learn to accept in your life that you won't always be happy or like everything. That's a huge part of the issue, that society has tried to tell us now that we should always like everything, you should love your job or get a new one, you should love parenthood or you're doing it wrong, you should love where you live or move. You're not supposed to love every aspect of life! Life is hard, accept it, change what you can, accept what you can't. It doesn't mean something is wrong with you if you hate your job. Sometimes you just gotta make ends meet.

The land directly across the river from you is forested and hilly and has magnificent bluffs that run along the river. Southern Illinois is more like the Ozarks than the flatlands of central Illinois. If you feel like exploring some cool hiking trails along the bluffs, PM me.

None of it alone is enough.

My natural inclination is a bit similar to Phrossack: the worse things got the more alone I wanted to be and the more I kept driving and walking myself into the woods.

The woods won’t save you, but they help a little.

When you have to do everything to escape depression, or most of the things, we gotta celebrate each avenue out. Eating consistently so you have energy to act, sleeping at night and not too few or many hours, moving your body all day, believing correctly, being brave, gassing your chemicals (I switched out of the “healthy” cannabis to drinking, low dose stimulants, and occasional psychedelics, all in context), not believing everything you think, doing pro social things like making yourself attractive and then going for it, getting in sync with the herd/pride, meditating, having a direction and a purpose, therapy and counseling, helping others, taking risks, doing some dangerous things, and maybe most of all, staying focused and one integrated form for hours of the day.

There’s more. And there’s foundations for them like having money to spend. You have to do it all. Briefly you can fetishize one to develop it and ride the high of partial improvement in the next one.

All three times I was deeply depressed, dysfunctional and disabled, my health was bad too. They interplayed. Each time I feared I was hopelessly sick. Each time I did everything or almost to get out and each time I would let go of these behaviors one by one until I rode it all the way down. Usually I would believe being up was bad or uncool, and I would do something out of pocket and be deeply ashamed and want to change, become more perfect, maybe smoke too much, maybe quit everything that was fueling me in hopes I could gain from time and energy savings (hah!) and I would start another cycle down and then back up. Dunno what the future holds but I’m riding this one as far as it takes me.

Your intentions are good.

Your cure for depression is a bit misleading. You're buying into the theory that there's a linear result from doing a, b, and c, and then having x happen. If you do exactly these things, you will get better. Not that you can get better, simply that you will.

Except this isn't true, and propagating that theory causes only harm. You'll have people who do all those things and then come out the other side the same or worse. Since the solution was so ironclad, so specific, there can be only one reason: they're personally responsible. The failure is solely their own. The cure and method is sacrosanct, so any deviation from "Mission Accomplished!" is an obvious sign that the person never really tried, or there's some fatal flaw with them that precludes them from simply following instructions. In essence, any failure to improve is directly tied to the individual. You've reduced severe mental health issues to being a matter of independent willpower and whether or not someone can follow a checklist well enough.

I'm also not sure you can cash in on the disabled angle if you've recovered from being so three times. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome that you're better now, but it feels a bit like someone who got a mass removed and is fine, preaching to a row of long-term chemo patients about how they can cure their cancer. It feels dangerously close to the people who corner me at support groups and in hospitals and then start telling me about how they had what I had and now they're healthy and great because they conquered their mind and simply willed themselves to health. (This paragraph assumes you're referring to your physical health. If you only meant that your mental health was bad enough to be disabling, feel free to ignore.)

Syn, your attitude seems to be preaching hope is bad/mean/misleading cuz some people wont get better.

**** that, better to have hope 1,000 times and be disappointed 1,000 (more realisticly you'll have hope 1000 times, be disappointed about 998 times and learn alot about what doesnt work and a little that does along the way) than sink into a lifetime of hopelessness.

You're spending a lot of energy arguing that Hygro and others are different from you and what worked for them cant possibly work for you.

That feeling of negative uniqueness is a killer.

Once someone is scared to have hope theyre basically already dead. Lost two friends that way (to eventual suicide), very heartbreaking.

Last edited:
Syn, your attitude seems to be preaching hope is bad/mean/misleading cuz some people wont get better.

**** that, better to have hope 1,000 times and be disappointed 1,000 (more realisticly you'll have hope 1000 times, be disappointed about 998 times and learn alot about what doesnt work and a little that does along the way) than sink into a lifetime of hopelessness.

You're spending a lot of energy arguing that Hygro and others are different from you and what worked for them cant possibly work for you.

That feeling of negative uniqueness is a killer.

Quote me saying that and I would be glad to have a discussion about it. Otherwise, I have no incentive to defend myself against hidden motives being assigned to me.

Hope is a great thing to have. That isn't what's being recommended.

You've reduced severe mental health issues to being a matter of independent willpower and whether or not someone can follow a checklist well enough.

You read his post. I read his post. I have no idea where this comes from. He isn't advocating a cure. He's advocating on ongoing method for trying to deal with some of it. It's not going anywhere.

society is constantly telling us to be exactly like everyone else, to fit in, to emulate the famous, wealthy, smart, beautiful.

Those two are diametrical opposites.

I agree with @Synsensa, and I don't see that he's saying there's no hope, he seems to be saying that there's no guarantee of success. I find a lot of people have this attitude of "This thing worked for me, so it must work just the same for everyone," and that's just certainly not at all true in the slightest, right? Your solution may work for someone else, or bits of it might, but they might have totally different needs from you, there's no one-size-fits-all solution. But you also see people thinking things like "If you can't fix yourself by doing exactly what I did, then something's deeply wrong with you and you're a failure."

You see this a lot with weight too. I put on weight easily, while my sister doesn't. She can be a bit preachy and judgemental, because she thinks her ability to stay thin is completely her doing, and my failure to keep my weight down is because I'm a failure. I eat healthier than she does, I drink less, and such and such - but everyone's body works differently, and I have a tendency to store weight which she doesn't.

Those two are diametrical opposites.
Not really. Trying to be high status is pretty much how you fit in. And being low status is the definition of not fitting in (being wanted by the group)

Quote me saying that and I would be glad to have a discussion about it.
It's the subtext. And its not very subtle

Hope is a great thing to have. That isn't what's being recommended.
Seems to be that's what's being recommended, that and he's such sharing his personal experiences.

You're under no obligation to believe him or think he has any insight worth considering but you're dismissing him out of hand and making strange analogies

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the subtext. And its not very subtle

Seems to be that's what's being recommended, that and he's such sharing his personal experiences.

You're under no obligation to believe him or think he has any insight worth considering but you're dismissing him out of hand and making strange analogies

Blame it on the SSRIs, bro.

Look there is a theory in psychology that your ego, your identity, is basically an array of defense mechanisms to identify threats to that identity. So if you encounter such a threat, you will device ways to fight it off. A good illustration are political believes. If they are part of your identity, which they often enough are, your ego will strongly motivate you to judge attacks on your believes as an attack on yourself, your identity, and henceforth you will be more concerned with defending your point of view than with actually learning something or contributing something valuable. Because you feel threatened. Brain scans have proven that respective areas in your brain are active in that way.

Now an ego-ideal is the version of yourself or your life which constitutes to you success. On an emotional level. It is what you want to be and, for whatever reason, what you think you need (to be).

Third: Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation: Extrinsic motivation does not just mean that you do something, because a factor out of your control forces you to do it. It can also mean, that your ego-ideal forces you to do it, but that then feels like a factor out of your control forces you to do it. Even though it is just you.

I used to have and still struggle with a quite deformed and perverted ego-ideal. It made me look at everything through the emotional judgement of my ego-ideal, made me unable to just accept things, and forced me to torture myself in a fruitless effort to control things in such a way that I could uphold my ego-ideal. It was terrible. Sucked the energy right out of me again and again, clouded my mind, numbed my heart, and my ego-ideal virtually replaced who I actually was. Had no real lasting connection to myself.

To improve, I had to relearn to be open-minded and to not be afraid of failure or misery. I had to allow myself to be. And that was at times even more terrible. I cried a lot, I did a lot of starring at the wall and hating myself and fantasized about suicide (that ego-ideal developed for a reason - I used it as amor, but it was my own prison). But in hindsight that was a necessary and healthy process, because it allowed me to let go and be free and gradually, step by step, I could build myself a new identity with a new and healthy ego-ideal.

Three iron rules helped me on that road:

(1) Rigorous authenticity (don't BS yourself, don't hide from yourself or within yourself, don't try to be whatever, just are, stay connected to your vulnerability without seeking refuge in it)

(2) Surrender the outcome (do not try to control the outcome or assess the „true nature“ of things but think process-orientated, small and practical, don't worry so much about the end of it all but about the steps to take, let go)

(3) Do uncomfortable work (act, try to make a change)

Now what I learned and took from this experience was how flexible and relative it actually is how people relate to themselves and the world, and what difference it can make. And I learned a ton about how people can resist change when they feel threatened by it. I learned that you can use absolutely everything to hide, just to have something to hold onto.

So why did I think that this applied to Phrossak so well? For reasons like this:

And when I so strongly believe things are broken beyond any possibility of repair, basically all human activity starts to look like either escapism, or like a child trying to put out a raging house fire with a tiny squirt gun, thinking they're making a difference. I almost have to marvel at how precious it is. So I question everything with, "What's the point?" And normally the answer is, "There isn't one, really." That sucks the motivation out of me.
Maybe he just got a crappy brain and he can not help to think that way. Sure, what do I know. But this is exactly the way a toxic ego-ideal works. See the problem is not that there isn't a point. Unless you are religious, ultimately there is never a point! It is all just stuff humans do to keep themselves occupied one way or another. Sure. That is life, fine. But that is not your problem, ultimately! Rather, your problem is that you have to focus on it. Because your ego-ideal tells you to. Because you mistakenly believe, and feel, that this is important to who you are and who you want to be. But it is not. It is all in the journey man.

But yeah, a depressed brain has much greater difficulty to see and feel this, than a happy brain. Because a depressed brain will look for reasons to justify its emotional state. But emotions are relative and thoughts make emotions. So if you can not be happy, at least try to be sober. Meaning: Don't try to justify your emotional state with objective reasons, don't try to fixate or control things like that, but rather try to see things as they are independent from your sensibilities, with an open and honest mind, and then try to work with them and try to derive meaning from action, not from identity or your dysfunctional ideals. Remove yourself from yourself to find yourself

Looking for reasons why you should be depressed to me is just another form of self-pity. Because you try to validate that state, even cling to it, as your identity. If your brain is just a hopeless case - okay, then do that, I guess. Otherwise - don't.

My friend just sent me this link, I think its relevant to what you just said Terx

Basically to get stuff done on a high level you have to convince yourself it is important in a grander scheme. If you can't do that you won't get stuff done (or you'll do it in a sloppy way)

Without an overarching sense of purpose there is no reason to try hard. Everything you do, even boring paperwork, you need to remind yourself that its necessary, relevant and part of your big picture life plan.

Reducing burnout to just ones self expectations (btw, ego-ideal is a term I have never heard used outside of Freudian psychology, no idea where you got that from, certainly not from a 21st century clinical practicioner) is simply inaccurate, even though I do agree with you that they are one of the key factor, even the single biggest factor for young adults imho. also, the very act of changing ones self expectations is in itself a monumental task and not nearly as easy as you make it out to be.
Yeah ok my statement was probably too bombastic. Though I got that from the same Austrian 21st century clinical practitioner who also plays with Freudian concepts. I just wanted to drive the point home how much it matters and the ego-ideal is to me a great way to explain the mechanisms of it, because it goes beyond self-expectation, but regards your whole identity.
And yes! Changing that is difficult.

Basically to get stuff done on a high level you have to convince yourself it is important in a grander scheme. If you can't do that you won't get stuff done (or you'll do it in a sloppy way)
I don't know if this is similar to just taking pride in your work but I consider that different. I've always known that what I do isn't going to save the world but that hasn't stopped me from not doing a half assed job. Take pride in what you do.

Civver, you tried cosleeping?

No, cosleeping is one of the worst things you can do if you want your children to be good sleepers. It was just a one night thing anyway, it just happens sometimes.

I don't know if this is similar to just taking pride in your work but I consider that different. I've always known that what I do isn't going to save the world but that hasn't stopped me from not doing a half assed job. Take pride in what you do.

Kudos for the double negative!

Top Bottom