What movie(s) have you seen IX:The Police Academy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. One Flew is a very good movie, imo. The book is very worthwhile a look at, too.

much ado about nothing (2012)

very fun!

I also am getting in the bad habit of getting too delighted by cute actresses. Amy acker is so fun in that film (beatrice)

I highly recommend it; it certainly is not the best film, but the ~100 minute movie flies by. Particularly for those of us too lazy to read shakespeare or any other plays.

Horns.
Pretty good, but the last act didn't really do it for me and I saw one of the twists coming.

Tried to watch Maniac (with that hobbit actor)

Started ok, but by the 10-15 minute i gave up cause it seemed not very subtle. The main actor was good, but the rest appeared to be on the cheap side of things :(

Btw: Australia cannot into making good horror movies.

Interstellar

Ferociously enjoyed it. I highly recommend it for the big screen.
The movie knows some length which could be a bit testing at times, for me there was not really one bow of suspense which got stretched but it felt more like roller-coaster. But when it good tense again it always felt worthwhile to have watched what came before.
Sometimes it was a bid too pathetic, the end was not very satisfactory to me... but all in all a fantastic movie to watch at the cinema.

Spoiler :
Hell, when Cooper finally returns to that Saturn colony he never once asks for his son, only his daughter!
lol OMG - I hadn't even thought that :lol: Wow yeah man, that is terrible :crazyeye: Though I liked the role he played later on, even if it was a small one.
Spoiler :
I liked how their views / interpretation of what happened clashed. You know, a hero for the one, a betrayer for the other. And he IMO also was a very necessary counter-balance to all that explorer/science-pathos.

Personally I loved this film but I think people without a hint of curiosity in space will struggle. There are parts where people may have to suspend belief to enjoy the film and I know that can be difficult.
I went with my family, my mum hates any kind of sci-fi or space stuff and only joined because we all went - but she loved the movie :shrugg:

edit: A small feature I also found very well placed
Spoiler :
When they reach the second planet and find the guy sleeping there und you wondering if he is even alive and then suddenly Mat Damon pops out - that was somehow really great, I at least had no idea he was in that movie and I think that is the intention and it worked great to underline the scene

the king's speech (2010)

It's good

I had seen maybe 2/3rds of it before (fading in and out of sleeplike state) so it was more a formality to just watch it consecutively.

It is good and well acted, but I seem to remember a lot more hype around it in 2011, i.e. people reaaaallly loving it. It is currently at 8.1/10 on imdb, and since I like to rate movies typically lower than online scores, that's actually wholly appropriate. I'd put it in that 7.5-8.0 range.

edit: I put zero stock in award winnings--it is personal preferences for whatever the winner is--but it did win academy award for best picture its year so that is certainly overhype for me

weak field though in the other nominees, except toy story 3 IMO. although didn't really see much of the films involved

As long as he doesn't destroy copies of Kill Bill (10/10) on sight, Baron Kyriakos will remain the coolest CFCer on the whole Mediterranean.

12 Years a Slave was a phenomenal movie. Just an artistically brilliant rendering of the realities of life in bondage.

What I particularly like about the film is that, rather than emphasizing the violence and brutality of the institution, which, yeah, duh, the film highlights the boredom and ennui involved. Long, drawn out scenes with very little happening emphasize this. It wasn't 12 years of being beaten, it was 12 years of monotonous work. Of having your life being outside your control. Of being considered an inferior person. Of not being able to strive towards those pursuits that are considered the most human of all. And without any sign of relief or help. The other thing those long cuts do; scenes which seem to go on just long enough for it to feel uncomfortable or unnatural (the lynching scene in particular jumps out) demonstrate that this isn't a film: this is real life. This actually happened. There was no director to call cut. No assistant to come along and help the actor out of the set. The torture and pain and anguish didn't end for these people at the end of the scene. The uncomfortableness of the scene clues the viewers into this reality.

To be able to, not just see and understand, but to viscerally feel down to ones soul, to be made to understand a reality, that is what film (or any good art) is all about. And, at least to me, 12 Years a Slave achieves this with exceptional aplomb. One of my favorite movies of the last 15 years.

Interstellar. 9/10, would watch again. Very emotionally powerful, visually amazing, and struck a good balance of hard sci-fi and being understandable to the average audience.

equilibrium (2002) and love actually (2003)

equilibrium is a mixed bag. Because it's actually terrible in many parts, but the fun kind of terrible. The cheesy kind. It actually has pretty bad "gun kata" though (gun-fu, karate with guns, etc), but some of the cheesy plot aspects is fun. Not all though. It immediately starts out with the corniness, so it isn't any surprise.

It ends up solidly mediocre, 5/10.

Love actually

Love actually delivers as a pretty good romcom christmas movie. There's not a whole lot to say otherwise. It has its laughs and has a few sweet moments. It follows 5 or 6 something stories though so some are much better than others but there's no avoiding that. [edit--apparently 10 stories, but some are very short]

7/10

I'm sure i will forget, but I think ill try to use a scale of 5/10 mediocre, 6/10 good enough, 7/10 good, 8/10 particularly good, >8/10 loved a significant lot of it, >9/10 loved most of it

another british film in dimensions (first screened 2011)

It's a tad slow for what it is trying to do, despite not being terribly long: 99 minutes. The last 20 minutes and end is quite bad in many ways (drawn out, and the characters start to not have really....dumb interactions), independent of any critique that the plot is too straightforward from the very start. However, loads of semi-sci-fi independent films do this (see: Ink (2009), los cronocrimenes (timecrimes) (2007)) and I like those films, so I don't mind that so much.

I will say though, it is a damn pretty film visually. I don't know why it strikes me so strongly as such. Wikipedia makes a nod to the camera type it is using, but that shouldn't make it really much different than any other HD film. It also has nice music, from what I remember.

It's a film set in 1920s england about a guy making a time machine.

Good or bad, I'll watch pretty much any time travel related movie. It had some rather artsy moments that I thought were charming. That's the best way to describe it. I wouldn't really associate it as being much of a period piece besides the clothing.

[ninja edit: actually, as I watched it, I remembered I was going to point out early on it suffers a bit from plot/character progression with no basis behind it. What I mean by that is, imagine movies/tv/whatever with "gee, I'm waiting for a call right now" and then the phone immediately rings. Characters bring up stuff unprompted that makes sense to the viewer but not for the conversation of the characters. Minor thing]

5.5/10

Actually the trailer is quite good and an accurate description of the "feel" of the movie, ignoring all critic quotes that describe it poorly [it is not a twist, it is not a scifi feel, etc]

Link to video.

though some minor spoilers in the trailer, but only minor

Cross of Iron (1977). The disk was very dirty so it was a bit hard to watch, but I found itquite interesting.

Man, I really enjoyed Equilibrium. My only complaint against it was Sean Bean's death was far too mundane. Shot while sitting down? For Sean Bean? COME ON! This is the man that is peppered with arrows from orcs, stampeded off cliffs, and beheaded in front of his daughter. It was unworthy of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom