When should the press cover, or ignore, a political candidate?

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
So this recent article (I know, it's POLITICO, I know), got me thinking. Here, it shows that CNN, an outlet that once said they weren't going to cover Donald Trump, has actually written more about him than Clinton, or just about anybody else.

Back in the spring, when Donald Trump first started making noise about a presidential bid, CNN President Jeff Zucker sent a message to his producers: Don’t cover him.
Trump had teased a presidential run many times before — in 1988, 2004, and 2012 — and Zucker had watched each time as the media got played by a bragadocious showman who relished the limelight. Zucker didn’t want CNN to get played again, sources there said.
Story Continued Below

Then, on June 16, Trump announced that he was, in fact, running for president. Since then, CNN has covered Trump more than 400 times on television and on its website, according to the Nexis database. That’s more coverage than CNN has given to Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker or any other major GOP candidates. It’s even more coverage than CNN has given to Hillary Clinton.
On Wednesday, one day after landing Clinton’s first campaign interview with a national media outlet, CNN was once again going wall-t0-wall on Trump, aggressively touting an interview with Anderson Cooper across its airwaves and at the top of its homepage.
The dilemma facing CNN is one facing every political media outlet: How much coverage should be given to a notoriously self-aggrandizing business mogul and reality television star who, despite reporters’ contention that he can’t win his party’s nomination, is drawing an enormous audience by offering the media sensational quotes and highly clickable fodder

Full story is here: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/donald-trump-2016-media-coverage-119862.html#ixzz3fOdBoRql

It's easy to see why editors (remember, reporters typically don't get to 100% pick what they write about) are clamoring for more Trump, even while their reporters call him a joke. Trump says crazy things, he's a controversial figure, and people want to talk about him and read about him. That's true here too, a place that probably prides themselves on being a little more enlightened and all...I bet we've had more Trump posts over the last month than say, Marco Rubio ones.

Also, some argue that the press shouldn't be so presumptuous as to declare who can and cannot win so early. After all, Trump is polling like a mid to high tier candidate right now. Should he not therefore be treated like one?

There is also the argument that "electability" shouldn't be a factor at all, and those covering the race could certainly right about the impact Trump (or a campaign similar to is) might impact the way that others campaign. The same could be true for say, Bernie Sanders. How Sanders could impact Clinton, or the issues or trajectory of the race itself, is probably more newsworthy or even true than articles on CAN BERNIE WIN?!?

On the other hand, there is a finite amount of space and interest media, especially large media, can wield, and the more articles they write about mostly un-electable or fringe candidates takes away time, money, effort and eyeballs away from vetting or writing more about people who may actually someday wield political power. Perhaps that is the correct business decision (and maybe that's all that matters!), but do they have other ideals?

What do you think? Tried to make this a poll, but I don't think it neatly comes out that way. If you were an editor or publisher, how would you instruct your team?

I'd turn CNN into Al Jazeera. As it stands now, who really cares what they do or do not cover.

Although I have to agree with their logic not to cover Trump at all until he announced.

Maybe if they (the news organizations) get this out of their systems now, they'll be more inclined to cover the serious candidates later? Just musing, as I have no idea who is or isn't a serious contender.

They should cover whomever they feel is likely to get them the most viewers/readers/etc. After all, getting the most people buying their product is why they exist, yes?

They should cover whomever they feel is likely to get them the most viewers/readers/etc. After all, getting the most people buying their product is why they exist, yes?

This is accurate. Normally it is balanced against what are referred to as "principles of journalism." The most obvious illustration of this balance is that despite "if it bleeds, it leads" being an absolute truism of TV news you can't go out and have your intern lay on the sidewalk and pour ketchup all over him just because it is a slow news day.

Political coverage presents challenges. What story you choose to tell, how you tell that story, and how the story is edited will ALWAYS influence the voters to some degree. The disingenuous claims to the contrary are usually just cynical denials though there may be some true believers that actually convince themselves they are "telling it straight." So like it or not, the media is always part of the story. If they don't want to be part of the story they need to get off the political desk.

I think that, on their better days, most newspapermen would say they have a deeper responsibility to the public than shilling whatever sells the easiest.

Then one would think the cable news stations would radically change the way they report events, or perhaps just show cartoons instead.

Fox News is still the most popular cable news station. But they typically only attract less than 2 million viewers during prime time, and half their demographic are aged 65 and greater. Two million viewers is typically far less than Spongebob Squarepants or Family Guy reruns.

So much so today. All the news outlets are jokes these days. It's not about the facts, it's about the sensationalism and getting clicks to bring in the advertising dollars.

When it's in the public interest.
How would you personally define that?

I As it stands now, who really cares what they do or do not cover.

Since millions of Americans, including a majority of Baby Boomers, get their political news primarily from TV, what the broadcast networks show is relevant.

FWIW, this Trump situation is not limited just to CNN, it's been borne out across print and digital media too.

How would you personally define that?

Since millions of Americans, including a majority of Baby Boomers, get their political news primarily from TV, what the broadcast networks show is relevant.

FWIW, this Trump situation is not limited just to CNN, it's been borne out across print and digital media too.

CNN is not broadcast news. B/c CNN needs to fill a whole day with news rather than a few hours, it makes sense to me that their line for newsworthiness differs from broadcast news. This muddies the waters regarding your initial question b/c the standards will differ from outlet to outlet.

I find it difficult to omit Trump out of hand given our past experience with Forbes and Perot, the last two candidates known mainly for being rich guys. They wedged open a door that Trump has stumbled through.

As to whether or not he is a serious candidate, I am sure the same question was asked before guys like Bono, Franken, Schwarzenegger, and Reagan ran. Given their past contributions as statesmen, it seems unfair to instantly dismiss someone merely because of past notoriety.

Finally, it is the middle of the slow summer news cycle and a year and a half before the election. Newsmen cutting into Trump now are just trying to keep their teeth sharp for when it actually matters.

Both are true.

CNN is not broadcast news. B/c CNN needs to fill a whole day with news rather than a few hours, it makes sense to me that their line for newsworthiness differs from broadcast news. This muddies the waters regarding your initial question b/c the standards will differ from outlet to outlet.

You are correct, I mistyped, but the point still stands. The American Press Institute has 62% of Americans getting news from cable networks, and over 80% getting news from TV in general. The stuff might suck, but it is important.

You are correct, I mistyped, but the point still stands. The American Press Institute has 62% of Americans getting news from cable networks, and over 80% getting news from TV in general. The stuff might suck, but it is important.
It also states that only 44% of those who get their news from cable networks have a high degree of trust in that information.

I suspect they use cable news the same way I do. I may watch Al Jazeera for a few minutes while nothing else is on TV that I want to watch. But I don't watch cable news any other time except for so-called breaking news. And I certainly don't trust much of what I hear on CNN, much less Fox News.

In determine what to report upon, there are a variety of standards. We've already heard from people suggesting a sales and a best interest standard.

An alternative standard is newsworthiness. Newsworthiness can be judged by criteria including timeliness, prominence, and importance.

Reporting on Trump meets those three criteria. The story is obviously timely. Trump is, himself, prominent as is the presidential race. Furthermore, few news stories are as important as the presidential race, even at this early date.

Based on those criteria, I would say that Trump running is newsworthy and should be reported upon. However, that does not answer the question of how coverage is appropriate.

As to whether or not he is a serious candidate, I am sure the same question was asked before guys like Bono, Franken, Schwarzenegger, and Reagan ran. Given their past contributions as statesmen, it seems unfair to instantly dismiss someone merely because of past notoriety.

Just for the record, when Reagan ran for president (and since) his detractors liked to refer to him as "just an actor." In fact at that point he had as much experience in politics as he had in acting, and had been a very successful governor in California.

Top Bottom