Which movies have you watched? 13 - In a world where...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enter the Dragon. There was some serious bad acting in this movie. Still, entertaining beat them up flick.

The acting was never the point. It was about Bruce Lee's moves.

I just saw Interstellar with my girlfriend. Holy balls that movie sucks. So much wrong I don't even know where to begin. Slight spoiler alert, but it's an old movie.

1) from the first second the viewer is held by the hand like a little baby. every little goddamn thing is explained through dialogue, like I'm some sort of braindamage idiot who needs to be spoonfed every relevant detail because I can't make up my own mind
2) nothing is left open, everything is explained in great detail, there are no questions, no different interpretations, the story is as linear as it gets
3) many of the characters are utterly boring and just there to drive forward the story. I felt especially the brother was just a story device, and the daughter's husband aswell
4) the movie is littered with cliches. the romance scenes are godawful. when the daughter yelled 'heureka' twice and threw her papers in the air I wanted to gauge my eyes out. and the ****** blackboard. what kind of scientist in the 21st century at NASA HQ still works with a goddamn blackboard. there were thousand other moments like that
5) the action was often times too intense to the point where it went into comical territory. it is genuinely hard to take this movie seriously when it tries to be dramatic
6) goddamn matt damon. actually, every single plot twist. I spotted them from a mile away. everything about this movie is so incredibly obvious. anyone who genuinely pays attention knows most of the plot in the first 20 minutes.
7) the soundtrack was absolutely horrible, overdone, the piano music made me angry
8) the dialogue was for the most part awful and felt very contrived
9) the plot was too neat and too tidy, never rough around the edges, never particularly interesting, just extremely linear
10) all the science bits felt really dumbed down and the general gist was "science fixes everything and all problems can be solved by staring at an equation after someone dies!!"
11) the movie is just so incredibly american. everything from the way people act, speak, stare into the distance, how the picture syncs with the music, how so many moments are ruined because an unnecessary joke is packed into a very serious, dramatic scene. and the goddamn robots, even the robots..

a real shame because cinematographically and visually this movie was great.

this movie is like anti 2001: a space oddissey. they are the polar opposites. 2001 is show, don't tell. 2001 has as many interpretations as it had viewers. interstellar is "make sure even the dumbest audience member understands everything and leave no questions open".

The Incredibles 2. Actually bought the DVD sight unseen, just because I liked the first one so much. Was almost as happy with the sequel, which may sound like damning it with faint praise, but really isn't. The raccoon-fight was hilarious. Should I be a little worried that I sympathised with the villain's manifesto possibly more than I was supposed to, though...?
6) goddamn matt damon.
Think you mean Matthew McConnahoweverthehellyouspellit. Damon was in The Martian.

But I guess that's what happens when you're still up at 2 am. Go to bed, man... ;)

4) the movie is littered with cliches. the romance scenes are godawful. when the daughter yelled 'heureka' twice and threw her papers in the air I wanted to gauge my eyes out. and the ****** blackboard. what kind of scientist in the 21st century at NASA HQ still works with a goddamn blackboard. there were thousand other moments like that

@hobbsyoyo?

I thought Interstellar was the best movie out of the trio from that short space obsession in movies. The Martian was okay at best. Gravity suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Interstellar was pretty stellar.

Think you mean Matthew McConnahoweverthehellyouspellit.

Damon was in The Martian... :)

He probably does mean Damon. He was in Interstellar too. Betrayed Mr. Alright, Alright, Alright.

@hobbsyoyo?

I thought Interstellar was the best movie out of the trio from that short space obsession in movies. The Martian was okay at best. Gravity suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. Interstellar was pretty stellar.

He probably does mean Damon. He was in Interstellar too. Betrayed Mr. Alright, Alright, Alright.
Chalk boards are still common in universities, which is where you'll find many researchers and government workers for the space program. So it's not that crazy.

I agree these movies make a trio and that this one is the best of them. I go back and forth whether I prefer Interstellar or 2001 as my favorite movie ever. Gattaca was my favorite until I watched those two.

I did mean Damon, though I must admit I didn't like Matthew's performance too much either. I feel like all of the not-so essential cast was great however.

Chalk boards are still common in universities, which is where you'll find many researchers and government workers for the space program. So it's not that crazy.

I agree these movies make a trio and that this one is the best of them. I go back and forth whether I prefer Interstellar or 2001 as my favorite movie ever. Gattaca was my favorite until I watched those two.

how can interstellar even come close to compete with 2001 :eek::eek: Gattaca is cool though.

@hobbsyoyo?

well, I would actually agree with this! I really didn't like Gravity, even in cinema it was pretty bad. The Martian, too. Interstellar easily wins out of those 3. If we count "Arrival", I may like that one best, even though it wasn't that great

Arrival came far enough after those three and had a lesser cultural impact than the others so I don't lump it with them. I actually probably prefer it to the Martian but I don't consider it as a part of a trilogy in my mental cannon. The Martian was disappointing in that I felt it actually missed out on a lot of the humor from the book. They were very faithful to the book overall but the book is actually pretty damn funny in a way the movie isn't.

how can interstellar even come close to compete with 2001 :eek::eek: Gattaca is cool though.
Lots of reasons. It's a good movie. The story is intricate and interesting, the themes and tone are awesome, the pacing is great, the dialogue is good to great, it's fun to watch and its gorgeous.

I have a strictly personal reason though - I saw it in theaters as I was considering what I would do after graduation. I had a job offer from a patent law firm that was pretty lucrative, but it would have effectively ended my career in aerospace. At the same time, I had just come back from a brutal internship at a rocket company and I was unsure if I even wanted to stay in aerospace.

I went and saw this movie with my wife and on the drive home she told me I needed to follow my passion and build rockets like they fly in the movie. That ended my personal dilemma and things have worked out pretty well since then.

Last edited:
I'm reading The Martian right now and it's a lot better than the movie.

Arrival was... I liked it, in general, but it started the newest trend in sci-fi movies where they establish a storyline and then pull an incoherent switcheroo on you during the climax. I found the ending unsatisfying.

That being said, Arrival is the best of the movies that do that. Annihilation was horrible, as was Extinction. Movies that try to be q̙͎̖̞͈́u̫iͅr̼̯͈̗k̳y̸ ̦̥ạ̮̫̳̫̭͝n̰͓̟̭̱d͚̤̙̩̜ ̳͓̼͕̥͞m͉͖͉͠ͅy̦̬̫̦̜̕ͅs͈t̲̩e̖͈̰͉̳̹r̼̪̭i̷̳̠͓͓͕o̮͈͇̮͈̣u͘s͙̗̭͔̻͖ are annoying.

This weekend I did a patriotic thing and watched Eps. I, II, III, V and VI of Star Wars.

It's better than caffeine.

Blame the TV channel running the Star Wars marathon.
And it's still better than caffeine - I haven't drunk any tea at all today.

Watched The Favourite at the cinema yesterday. All I can say is, the movie is fantastic. The whole time I was thrilled to see what is going to happen next and the feeling lasted very well through the movie. That happens not so often. Last year The Hereditary and What Will People Say gave same experiences and they were my favorite movies at 2018.

I actually liked The Martian. Haven't seen Interstellar. Gravity was totally forgettable, as near as I can remember.

Interstellar is a fine movie right up to the point where he enters the black hole. Then it gets too far out there, even for a sci-fi movie.

I saw First Man and Split recently. In First Man, all the scenes where Neil Armstrong is put into some sort of craft and shot up into space were really well done. I'm not sure how realistic it was but it definitely gives the viewer a sense that those rickety tin cans they call a rocketship might fly apart at any moment. Other than Neil Armstrong, it didn't do a good job of connecting the viewer with any of the characters. Often times people appeared on screen and I'd know they were somehow important to Neil's life but what their names were or why they were important was lost on me most of the time.

I've been meaning to see Glass at some point and Split felt like a prerequisite to that. Split was super scary, which I guess means it is pretty good since it is a horror movie. I saw it right before I was supposed to go to bed which was a bad idea. James McAlvoy really made this movie work. He portrayed a person with 24 different personalities (I counted 8 which appeared onscreen) and each personality was convincing and not cheesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom