Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doctor Foster is a seriously dark BBC drama on Netflix about a doctor who finds out her husband is having an affair. You get an idea early on that she's not quite stable but things go sideways in a hurry. Good stuff.

Sex Education is a great British show also on Netflix about a high schooler who becomes an ersatz sex councilor.

I did not know that British schools don't have dances...It's such a staple of American education that I assumed it was a more widespread thing but I guess it's more like red solo cups in that I've been fooled by the ubiquity of American media as to think they are universal.

Last edited:
Watching Hanna and liking it so far.

3 episodes into season 2 of The Umbrella Academy. I think it may be an improvement on season 1, so far.

Also continuing season 1 of The Expanse and season 1 of Battlestar Galactica. I thought the 2nd part of the BSG 2003 miniseries didn't have the momentum of the first part. I find the whole section at Ragnar Anchorage to be kind of a slog. But then the first episode of the 2004 ongoing series - "33" - is a great one. I'm struck again by the great casting for both these shows. iirc, Tricia Helfer had very little acting experience before BSG.

The transition from the BSG miniseries to the ongoing series is when we go from Richard Gibbs to Bear McCreary doing the music. McCreary gets all the adulation, and of course his work is outstanding, but I think Gibbs did great stuff too.

(No spoilers, just YouTube vids.)
Spoiler :
There are two versions of McCreary's main title them on YouTube, one attributed to the US version of the show and one the UK version. The stream I'm watching now uses the latter, and it's the one I remember from the original broadcast of the show (that's the one with the woman singing a verse from one of the Hindu texts).

Spoiler :

And, just for gits n' shiggles, here's the still-excellent theme from the 1978 show, composed by Stu Phillips and performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Cue Patrick McNee... "Some believe there may yet be brothers of man even now fighting to survive somewhere beyond the Heavens."
Spoiler :
I also watched the first episode of Veronica Mars, being a fan of Kristen Bell's The Good Place and Rob Thomas' iZombie. I enjoyed it until the reveal at the end and then I found my enthusiasm for watching the 2nd episode had waned a lot. With so much to watch, I guess I don't know if I'll return to it.

I liked this show. It was originally canceled after its first season, but was brought back just as suddenly as it was canceled. Then it was canceled again after episode 26, which was the original Season 2 finale. Episodes 27 & 28 were produced as a kind of "tv movie" to wrap up the show, 8 months after season 2 originally finished. So when you finish episode 26, pause long enough to note that the show could've ended there (you don't have to wait 8 months, unless you feel like it).

I finished the second season yesterday.
I'd say that S2 was worse than S1, but still fun. It might have been better though if it had finished after S1.
Now, what you say about the finale, I would have been okay with a finish after E26, although it left many things open. I think it's rather clear that another season was intended.
For the finale... so, not sure if everything makes logical sense at the end with the various time lines (how did that work with Rufus...er...), but I guess that's to be expected with time travel stuff. Although S1 managed that itself fine, the mess started in S2. Most unconvincing thing is that Flynn did what he did after receiving the journal, because that itself doesn't make much sense, he could have done otherwise. And there probably should have been a story told how he planned everything and got to know Anthony.
Overall, not really disappointed, although there's a bit of a feeling that something's lacking.
Would watch again though.

NSFW, for language and gore

I guess that is how we judge quality nowadays. :p

I see Karl Urban's face! So not Dredd.

I've been watching ESPN's 30 for 30 series. The Dennis Rodman special and the Detroit Pistons' ‘Bad Boys’ era episodes. Do I need to wear flame-******ant clothing if I say that the Detroit Pistons actually did have some basketballing talent?

I see Karl Urban's face! So not Dredd.
Urban has said he'd be down for Dredd 2 or the long-rumored Mega-City One anthology series, but neither is even near pre-production, afaik. I doubt scripts have even been written. Urban might be in his 60s before that role comes back around, but heck, with that helmet on, he could probably still do it.

Is this the one with that Homelander person?
Yes.

The superhero tv/movie thing is ridiculous and must stop asap.
If you're short of things to watch, here's a list of non-superhero shows I've enjoyed over the last several years. This is hardly exhaustive, just what I could come up with off the top of my head (and it's only shows I've seen - I could make a whole other list of well-regarded shows that I want to see and haven't yet).

Spoiler :
The Americans
Babylon Berlin
Bodyguard
Broadchurch
The Expanse
GLOW
Goliath - I've only seen the first season, I think there are 3 or 4 series now
The Good Place
The Good Wife
Humans - I've only seen the English remake, can't vouch for the original
The Killing - as with Humans, I've only see the English-language remake
Killing Eve
The Magicians
The Mandalorian
Mindhunter
Mr. Robot
Orphan Black
Preacher - the first season, mainly; I thought the 2nd season lacked something, but I couldn't put my finger on what
Russian Doll
Tales From the Loop
Timeless
Travelers
The Wire - this isn't a recent show, but I rewatched the first season a couple of months ago, and it's so good I still recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it

I stopped watching Mr Robot after season2.
Season1 was quite good, though.
I agree, Mr. Robot was one of those shows that had such a great 1st season that it sort of set the bar too high for its own good.

3 episodes into season 2 of The Umbrella Academy. I think it may be an improvement on season 1, so far.

Also continuing season 1 of The Expanse and season 1 of Battlestar Galactica. I thought the 2nd part of the BSG 2003 miniseries didn't have the momentum of the first part. I find the whole section at Ragnar Anchorage to be kind of a slog. But then the first episode of the 2004 ongoing series - "33" - is a great one. I'm struck again by the great casting for both these shows. iirc, Tricia Helfer had very little acting experience before BSG.

The transition from the BSG miniseries to the ongoing series is when we go from Richard Gibbs to Bear McCreary doing the music. McCreary gets all the adulation, and of course his work is outstanding, but I think Gibbs did great stuff too.

(No spoilers, just YouTube vids.)
Spoiler :
There are two versions of McCreary's main title them on YouTube, one attributed to the US version of the show and one the UK version. The stream I'm watching now uses the latter, and it's the one I remember from the original broadcast of the show (that's the one with the woman singing a verse from one of the Hindu texts).

Spoiler :

And, just for gits n' shiggles, here's the still-excellent theme from the 1978 show, composed by Stu Phillips and performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Cue Patrick McNee... "Some believe there may yet be brothers of man even now fighting to survive somewhere beyond the Heavens."

I haven't personally seen a single episode of BSG that didn't cast Lorne Green in it. :p:crazyeye::old:

"From the best selling novels"
Proceeds to only show those novels for less than a second, cause they aren't the ASOIAF books :lol:

Not sure at what stage this project is in. Apparently this video was from 8 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom