Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bailed on Vikings. The show simply got too absurd. I read all the episode summaries on Wikipedia and it definitely wouldn't have gotten any better.

Also finished Letterkenny. Sometimes got a little rough, but the Mennonite episodes definitely redeemed it when that happened. Including the real Sportsnet panel was a nice touch too. What I don't like is how every season ends with a relationship thing. After eight seasons that got really played out.

Now I'm watching Daria. Takhisis will be impressed.

Started iZombie S5 yesterday (probably should be "weZombie" by this point, though!).

Not much has happened yet, obviously, but I did enjoy Bonebreaker-Ravi. Looks like he can't handle pure uncut brain nearly as well as Liv does :lol:

I started watching Star Trek: Lower Decks. It's up on CTV.ca to watch for free if you're Canadian (although on a week long delay maybe)

The first couple episodes were alright and I didn't like how they did some things with the 2 main characters. But now 5 episodes in, I'm pleasantly surprised to have discovered that it was character development all along, and done fairly well too. At least so far that's what it seems like, and I'm quite enjoying this show!

Watched ep 4 of season 5 of Lucifer last night. Or, rather, I tried to. It was shockingly bad. My goodness. I gave it a lot of rope, but I just had to shut it off halfway through. I think maybe they were trying for satire, which I think has to be difficult to do. If you don't hit satire just right, all you've done is make a (deliberately) bad version of the thing. Maybe that's what happened here. By contrast, the previous episode, where they were satirizing their own show, worked pretty well. I may skip ahead to episode 5, but I've got some stuff to do/watch this weekend, so I'm probably not rushing back to it. I heard Tom Ellis on a podcast mention that there's a musical episode coming up, and now I'm kinda nervous about continuing...

I swear networks try to encourage pirating in Canada. I was thinking of finally, finally, giving shows like CSI a serious watch. I've only seen bits and pieces of episodes over a decade ago. Checked a site, it said it was available to stream on Prime.

Which is technically true! The seasons with the guy from The Good Place are on there, but not the 9 seasons before that. Those seasons are available... nowhere.

CSI: Miami? Nowhere.

Law & Order? Nowhere.

Cold Case? Nowhere.

NCIS? 5 seasons. The other 12? Nowhere.

Criminal Minds? Nowhere.

COME ON.

It sucks to be in Canada?

I'm thinking of doing that as well.
Recommend yay/nay?
1st season was the best 1st season of a show I've seen in a long time, season 2 was weaker but still watchable.

Make me actually laugh unlike most shows which try way harder (it helped that I watched w a friend, stuff isn't as funny alone somehow)

Most of the "kids" are like 18-20something irl

I heard Tom Ellis on a podcast mention that there's a musical episode coming up
I think the only two musical episodes I've ever been able to put up with were in That '70s Show and Daria, both for obvious reasons. I'm glad I didn't pick up this series after all!

I swear networks try to encourage pirating in Canada. I was thinking of finally, finally, giving shows like CSI a serious watch. I've only seen bits and pieces of episodes over a decade ago. Checked a site, it said it was available to stream on Prime.

Which is technically true! The seasons with the guy from The Good Place are on there, but not the 9 seasons before that. Those seasons are available... nowhere.

Law & Order? Nowhere.

Cold Case? Nowhere.

Criminal Minds? Nowhere.

COME ON.

I'd suggest to watch something better ^^

Ted Lasso is about an American college-league football coach getting picked to run a Premier League F.C. in Britain because the owner of the club wants to destroy it as an act of revenge on her ex-husband, from whom she got ownership as part of the divorce. Jason Sudeikis plays the titular character and for once he is not an anti-hero, he's just a straight up good guy with a charmingly sunny and optimistic disposition. At times his sunniness can turn saccharine sweet but overall it's nice to watch a show where the main character is not massively flawed and half a jerk. The comedy is a bit dry and is decidedly not edgy, so it's kind of a staid show. The drama is good though and makes up for the lack of sidebursting jokes. It's not my favorite show but it's pretty good.

Law & Order? Nowhere.

Cold Case? Nowhere.

Criminal Minds? Nowhere.

COME ON.
It sucks to be in Canada?
It isn't just Canada. The licensing for these things is totally off the wall. I was just looking at L&O series on Peacock, NBC's streaming service, and even they don't have all of the series. You can watch Law & Order there if you pay for the service (Peacock also has a free service), but only seasons 13-20. I have no idea who owns the streaming rights to seasons 1-12. And let's face it, watching Law & Order without Jerry Orbach is like eating a hot dog bun by itself.

It isn't just Canada. The licensing for these things is totally off the wall. I was just looking at L&O series on Peacock, NBC's streaming service, and even they don't have all of the series. You can watch Law & Order there if you pay for the service (Peacock also has a free service), but only seasons 13-20. I have no idea who owns the streaming rights to seasons 1-12. And let's face it, watching Law & Order without Jerry Orbach is like eating a hot dog bun by itself.
I really want to see OG D'Onofrio. I have this nostalgic memory of my dad being at work and so I'd watch TV at dinner, seeing Vincent and his partner SOLVE CRIMES while eating a bologna and mac & cheese sandwich.

I can technically watch these shows on iTunes, but it's $20 per season. When there's 40+ seasons across those shows to watch...

I really want to see OG D'Onofrio. I have this nostalgic memory of my dad being at work and so I'd watch TV at dinner, seeing Vincent and his partner SOLVE CRIMES while eating a bologna and mac & cheese sandwich.

I can technically watch these shows on iTunes, but it's $20 per season. When there's 40+ seasons across those shows to watch...
Peacock has all 10 seasons of Law & Order: Criminal Intent for free (in the US, at any rate, I can't vouch for other countries).

Prior to the 90s, TV shows had summer reruns and that was about it. Nobody planned for 24/7 streaming.

Schitt'$ Creek wins a fistful of awards. Nice.

Schitt'$ Creek wins a fistful of awards. Nice.
As usual, I've seen almost none of the nominees, but I see among the winners a lot of people I've liked in other things. So :thumbsup: to them.

I'm all the way to episode 10 in Away on NETFLIX. Its a "realistic" space show, think Interstellar or Gravity or The Martian.

Its a very good show if you like space stuff. I guess it would qualify as "hard" sci-fi. I also think it's better than Mars which I have also been watching, which I'm finding enjoyable, but a little too dry in places. Away mostly keeps me up... Mars more often puts me to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom