1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

He would be watched on youtube.

2. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

if a stimulus package is in Trump's interest then why wont the GOP move it along?

3. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Because they don't want to normalize government bailing out poor people. Give em an inch and they'll take a mile.

V55, hobbsyoyo and El_Machinae like this.
  4. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Is that a question or a statement?

Also, shouldn't the President do what is in the interest of the country/society/people first, before thinking of his own interests?

Birdjaguar and Drakle like this.
  5. Drakle

Drakle King

Because the GOP is legitimately insane and Trump is brainless and has people like Mark Meadows, a Tea Party/Freedom caucus guy advising him.

This is going to kill the US airline industry. They and so many industries are going to fire so many workers.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1313559273310388226

All to attempt to speed through an already unpopular, reactionary judge.

Republicans are objectively pro-death, and pro destruction of the US as a leading first-world nation.

The only semi-rational explanation is just doing as much damage as they can, to hurt Biden coming into office with the US already ravaged. At the cost of sinking the entire 2020 slate, and making Trump officially one of the worst Presidents ever. So a large generation which can only remember awful GOP Presidents that crashed the economy in their final years.

And Mitch is complicit in this because he hasn't bothered to do a Senate bill, to send to Trump to veto or sign.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Estebonrober, cardgame and V55 like this.
  6. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Please don't take this the wrong way, but... have you not been paying attention for the last forty-five months?

Socrates99, cardgame, V55 and 4 others like this.
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

He's Swiss, they simply don't have anything to base their imagination on to think such a thing up.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

I think we all need to consider something I'd hope people realized awhile ago; with Trump and Republicans so far down, this may be the optimal electoral strategy. NYT reports crashing the stimulus was Mitch's call. He might see the writing on the wall, that they could easily lose the senate and presidency no matter what they do now. "Starve the elephant" is a well known Republican strategy, and this is just that with nihilism times 100. The bigger a hole they can dig for Biden, the better off they are for 2022. Make him have just a giant cluster duck on his hands, clog up the system - especially with 6 SCOTUS justices striking stuff down - and reap the rewards of being the minority party in America; where people like your platform more when you're not in charge, and the approval rating of the ruling party is basically the same plot of your new car's value as you drive it off the lot. Especially if Biden isn't really going for structural change, they can play 2022 like 2010; nothing is fixed and everyone is angry, vote for our Christian revanchism.

9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

And then AOC or someone vaguely Bernie-like will come up as a potential leader in 2028 but the Democrats will insist we need to "compromise" with the anti-American party by electing Reagan but he's a Democrat this time

10. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Well, I wasn't talking about Trump or what he's done. But rather what @Berzerker 's expectation are on the guy or woman holding the office of the president - no matter the party affiliation.

And I do think that's a salient point. If the public debate has become so cynic to not even ask impartiality, then thank you and good night.

As @GoodEnoughForMe 's points out and you seem to agree, this could very well be true, but I do hope the Democrats have a game plan for that. After all, it isn't the first time the Republicans will have pulled this off.

Hrothbern likes this.
  11. amadeus

amadeus The Choice of a New Generation

@GoodEnoughForMe, I don’t see any political party so well organized as to have an effective strategy such as you describe. There might be strategists that theorize about such things, but getting a party to implement them—with efficacy—is giving them a lot of credit.

I think the reality is less Machiavellian and more playing whack-a-mole while blindfolded.

12. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Yeah, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the easy shot. :blush:

I think Trump (with an assist by Hillary) has managed to polarize the electorate. Biden strikes me as someone that will pull us in the other direction, fingers crossed. And with any luck the wreckage of the Republican Party will figure out that that hyperpartisan approach doesn't work in the end.

mitsho likes this.
  13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

FTR, that video doesn't mention Biden at all. But yes, Stewart is very good.

And I think the Republican loss-management theories are premature... Biden could still lose.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Ziggy Stardust and Lexicus like this.
  14. amadeus

amadeus The Choice of a New Generation

Couple more infections reported at White House—Jalen Drummond (who? Press secretary?) and Stephen Miller.

Japanese news article I saw

I’ve seen some comments elsewhere alleging that this is a WH stunt before the election. I think it’s just plain old incompetence and insufficient risk prevention.

Socrates99 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  15. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

It's not really a complex play. It's just crapping in the house before leaving. If they can cut taxes aggressively knowing they'll be 'forced' to cut programs a decade later, they can do this. It's just sabotaging the next government, one that is just a few months away.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Drakle

Drakle King

Okay, we have confirmation that McConnell told Trump that he was getting played, and Trump like the stupid child he is, just blew it up.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1313607518585786368

'no deal could pass the senate', says the Senate majority leader. Without a filibuster, you only need 3-4 Republicans to pass a stimulus. But no, it has to be the majority, of the majority, which means nothing.

I guess this is confirmation that Mitch is sacrificing Trump and some Senators for ACB and spiking Biden immediately.

If moderate Republicans actually care (they don't), they would dump him as majority leader, and vote with Democrats for a stimulus. Instead, they will just hide behind Mitch and wring their hands, as they get busy confirming ACB.

Estebonrober, mitsho and hobbsyoyo like this.
  17. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Yeah, the US is a partially Anglophone South American banana republic and this works on fully Latin ones so it'll work in the US too.

GoodEnoughForMe and mitsho like this.
  18. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Considering that the effects of the two previous bailouts have been to shield the wealthy from asset price deflation that would occurred otherwise. That by doing so they widened the wealth gap between those at the very top and the mass of the population. It's strange to see people who are not part of that top group clamoring for yer more bailouts. What they do for the price of your assets they more than take away in maintaining and increasing costs of access to those assets, chiefly habitation. But also, in the US's case, education and others.

Do you really want more of the same?

Perhaps the best thing that could happen there would be political paralysis and the complete crash of the asset bubbles and the corporate empires built upon them. It's scary? Sure. But it clears the entrenched neofeudalism and opens the opportunity for afterwards reorganizing the economy in new ways. Even the celebrated New Deal wasn't possible through bailouts for the asset-holders. It was instead a complete change of direction, direct state intervention making things.

This is not to say that massive investment and financing of states and local government should not be done. It must be done. But is the current bunch in power trustworthy to do that specifically? Too bad the election is now and whomever wins will be comfortably in place for a couple of years, you'll have to trust blindly on whatever the candidates are promising. Trump we know wants to just inflate assets even more. Biden at least promises new investment. Thing is I couldn't trust either if I had to choice.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Socrates99 likes this.
  19. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Yeah, but it was a good one. It really irked me. You did well taking that shot.

I guess I‘ve become a big cynic - but when we constantly are lowering the expectations we have of our elected officials, I can‘t see that going anywhere good.

Ah, the age old game of „Stupidity or Malevolence?“. I play that a lot in political discussions with friends and colleagues; and it‘s almost always stupidity. We humans have a tendency to read patterns and structures into nearly anything. But most often, it‘s just chaos and randomness and - translated into the political sphere - stupidity. It‘s also a good lense under which to look at History by the way.

EgonSpengler, hobbsyoyo and Hrothbern like this.
  20. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

yes !
    It goes both ways

Also:
    If there is 1 past, converted to one or a few "history's in the consensus of our school books, over time more and more semi-consistent ways to look at that one past, more "history's" will come into being, because we learn more and more about our past, with science prevailing over political-moral-analysing knowledge restrictions during the time of that past or shortly thereafter.

We cry now about social media fake news...
    From what I know about the period 1500-1700 of my country, it was most of the time complete turmoil fake news and imprinting with the pamphlets from the printing press combined at the end of the 17th century with the coffeehouses.
    Coffeehouses also played in big role in the pre-phase of the French Revolution.
    (the salons of the salonnieres being the next step in converting-adapting ideas to influence-power)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.