• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Amy Winehouse found dead

Amy Winehouse dying certainly feels a lot closer to me than what happened in Norway. I own her records, have seen many acts that follow in her musical school, etc. I don't know anybody in Norway, and that entire situation is fairly alien to me. Why shouldn't it?

But that's just what I'm saying - that this is how it is. Something in our intuition might tell us that what happened in Norway should matter more (at least if you have functioning moral intuitions), but for many it doesn't because of how mass media work, the effect of which is to create celebrities that disproportionately dominate our attention.

According to the article she did go to rehab but looks like it didn't take.

There's so far 2 threads on the Norway bombing and they both have more pages than this one so I don't see why people are complaining unless they don't want it mentioned at all.

But that's just what I'm saying - that this is how it is. Something in our intuition might tell us that what happened in Norway should matter more (at least if you have functioning moral intuitions), but for many it doesn't because of how mass media work, the effect of which is to create celebrities that disproportionately dominate our attention.
As Narz pointed out, just the fact that you think Norway matters more than say, today's environmental damage is evidence that your thinking falls into the same trap.

I make no apologies for being more personally bothered by Winehouse's death.

As Narz pointed out, just the fact that you think Norway matters more than say, today's environmental damage is evidence that your thinking falls into the same trap.

I make no apologies for being more personally bothered by Winehouse's death.
Indeed. By this same metric, what is our reaction supposed to be when someone close to us dies? "Well, grandma's dead, but the more important thing is CO2 emissions, so quit whining about one person and start thinking about the planet."

I have no issue with giving disproportionate amounts of time to people of status, close personal relations, whatever my interests are, etc.

Amy Winehouses family were asked if they wanted amy revived but they said no no no.
I'm sure there are other jokes doing the rounds.

Who saw this one coming?

Amy Winehouses family were asked if they wanted amy revived but they said no no no.
I'm sure there are other jokes doing the rounds.

Yeah. In hell she is currently singing "I should have gone to rehab..."
I know. Not very original. A dozen other people have already commented on what she should have done.

People assume the rehab would have solved her problems. What if the drugs were a symptom and not the problem itself? Rehab wouldn't do diddly squat without tackling the issues that drove her to seeking solace in substances in the first place. I can take or leave her music, but she deserved better than some of the sick comments I've seen posted. Other people's problems always seem simple to the ignorant.

A bunch of my friends are saying "Omg, she's dead? RIP Amy". It's annoying, because they don't really seem to acknowledge what's going on in Norway, they rather care for this woman who more than likely ODed.

"Forget Oslo, what about ME world!" Amy Winehouse's last words before she down a fifth of jack and car coolant."

Twitter, DKM xD

Oh well, I think she was an ok singer. Her death doesn't really phase me, though. Listening to rehab right now. Praying for her family.

Again, what does Norway have to do with this? Can people only talk about one thing at a time?

Yeah. In hell she is currently singing "I should have gone to rehab..."
I know. Not very original. A dozen other people have already commented on what she should have done.

Why is she in hell?

I think she's just dead, but I wanna know why this guy says she's in hell.

I'm as cynical about popular culture as anyone, but, honestly, the kinds of reply you get in these threads really annoy me sometimes. Think what you want of her, but, Jesus, poor lass just died, have at least the decency to keep your moire pointed opinions to yourself for a couple of days. She was hardly a villainous enough individual to deserve folk spitting on her grave before they've even finished lowering the coffin. :undecide:

Well, that was stupid of her.

To have all that and throw it away? Stupid, just like Cobain.
Cobain was an untreated manic-depressive, a set with a tremendous suicide rate, so the analogy really doesn't follow.

What, the singer who showed up rotten drunk or stoned or whatever for a concert here? I'm with the hornet's appreciators society.

Top Bottom