Brexit Thread IX - Voters' Remorse

Well, of course. If the Express isn't cheering about Britain being pre-eminent over Europe, it loses half its rulers and a third of its page-count.

Well, of course. If the Express isn't cheering about Britain being pre-eminent over Europe, it loses half its rulers and a third of its page-count.
Simple typo, freudian slip or did you mean rulers not readers? ;)

I'm not very familiar with Mahyar Tousi, but he appears a bit of a chancer. Hes just a little bit funny about vaccines (or their supply? OR IS HE?), and just ever so slightly funny about LGBT. Can't tell if its dog whistling, or culture war opportunism.

One to watch maybe. He appears disciplined and very conscious of messaging. I wonder whos bankrolling him.

David Frost's speech seems to be more than a bit nuts.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-58881855
He wants a totally new protocol and said that:
"Moreover, that the protocol represents a moment of EU overreach when the UK's negotiating hand was tied, and therefore cannot reasonably last in its current form,"
It was him and the current 80 seat majority Conservative government that negotiated and approved this to get Brexit done but yet somehow it's still someone else's fault.

How much of the food shortages in the UK is coming from botched entry of goods into the UK at ports and borders ?
From a lack of adequate customs officials ?

Frank Weermeijer, CEO of CSG, told The Loadstar: “There has been a massive increase in workload and we can automate a part of that, so it’s not just data entry, we need more capacity to serve the UK and UK clients on the continent.”
As a result of that demand, the company said it would look to develop its staff team in the UK and would not be seeking any redundancies.
At the time of the 2016 referendum, the UK had 58,381 customs officials and the government said it was targeting an increase of 5,000; but by December 2020, there was an increase of just 16.

https://theloadstar.com/dutch-group-csg-invests-in-booming-uk-customs-support-market/

Dunno, but apparently most of the pork in UK supermarkets atm is from Europe due to our lack of butchers.

Yes, that fits the headlines I see in UK newsmedia about workers, migrants, vacancies.
But having not enough skilled customs officials should have, must have an impact. When that CEO is correct with the UK having the same amount as in 2016... and he should know because he takes the risks of buying that UK company... considering that paperwork and procedures have become much more complicated...

Does the UK still skip all kinds of paperwork for imports ?
In that case only exports would be affected and not so much imports like pork.
Although I do hear that European transporters are reluctant to send containers for UK imports into the UK because those containers get often stuck there for some time and there is a general container shortage atm.

I never thought I would write these words... Thats not quite fair on Cameron. I feel dirty now I said it... and not in a good way.

"Dave" thought he could lance the boils of Scottish independence and the Eurosceptic tits. Put up or shut up. Problem is he lost the EU vote, and that refractured the SI issue.
He had been enabling and empowering little Englander feelings for a long time. If he actually thought he actually could command the monster at will and let them lash out randomly only at his direction then he was unable to see the contradiction in terms between random and ‘at direction’. That was irresponsible enough, but he was also irresponsible of him not to plan ahead. He said ‘you decide’ and apparently had never entertained the possibility that others would want something he didn't.
GinandTonic said:
It should have calmed British politics. Frankly BoJo probably swung the issue, and now he's left shovelling the ****, but he's shameless and doesn't GAF.
Well, yes, it was further irresponsible of David Cameron and Treeza to ever elevate Boris Johnson to positions for which he was evidently unfit. That EU official laughing live on camera when told that BeauJo was the new Brexit secretary was enough.

David Frost's speech seems to be more than a bit nuts.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-58881855
He wants a totally new protocol and said that:
"Moreover, that the protocol represents a moment of EU overreach when the UK's negotiating hand was tied, and therefore cannot reasonably last in its current form,"
It was him and the current 80 seat majority Conservative government that negotiated and approved this to get Brexit done but yet somehow it's still someone else's fault.
As Tom Peck says on the Independent:

[Lord Frost] is still described as the government’s chief Brexit negotiator because almost two full years after Brexit he is still negotiating it, and mainly with himself​

Wow, the same shortages all over the world yet some Brexit is to blame? You remoaners make no sense.

Weird cause it took a few seconds on Google to check why fuel prices increase in France.
Iam not sure if you even watched the video that you posted ?

Why fuel prices are rising in France (and why that might worry Macron)
“We are simply returning to prices recorded just before the pandemic,” Olivier Gantois, president of the Union française des industries pétrolières (French Union of Petroleum Industries) told Le Parisien.
Brent crude oil prices – the global reference for oil prices – fell below $20 the barrel in April 2020, but have increased as the global economy has gotten going again. A barrel cost $73 in June and $74 in July.

Alberto Balboni, an economist with private research institute Xerfi, told AFP fuel prices should stabilise at around $70 per barrel “between now and the end of the year or even beyond, because at that price, few producers will want to sacrifice part of their production in order to push prices even further, which would risk discouraging demand.”

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210819/wh...ng-in-france-and-why-that-might-worry-macron/

Johnson himself was a Remainer then, for all that term means, years before the referendum!

Johnson himself was a Remainer then, for all that term means, years before the referendum!

Of course, the Remainer establishment was very careful to ensure that a
Remainer was head of the official Leave campaign and could cock it all up.

In much the same way the financial capitalists like to have all three parties headed by those in
favour of neo-liberalism. They got worried with Jeremy and now suspect Boris may be wobbly.

Literally nothing about the planning of the referendum was careful. Don't give me that nonsense.

The Remainer establishment was very careful to ensure that
Nigel Farage was not leading the official Leave campaign.

Top Bottom