Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.
Great work so far, Leoreth.
Whooo! Good job Leoreth!
Downloading the new version now! I'll try to make a photo blog of how one of my East Asian games go, or perhaps a list of suggestions/bugs.
Congrats on the new civ being added!
A Fasces maybe? It dates back to the Etruscans and isn't necessarily connected to fascism, because democratic governments use it, too.
Thats what i meant:
As far as trading companies are concerned; why dont u make them require different techs for different nations so this could be how it could work:
Dutch- Since they spawn in 1500; so their tech could be one that allows them to build trading company by the 17th century. Possibly Optics. (It is also possible to not require the Dutch to build trading company since they will most likely get contact by the 1600s anyways)
England: The British East India Company establish control over Bengal in 1750s so their trading company should be associated with a 18th century tech. Also when making contact with the Mughals instead of declaring war the city of Calcutta should spawn/flip as an English city. But the next time each of the civs declare war on each other a conquering event should occur.
France: Also in 18th century; instead of a conquerers event their trading company allows them to vassalize Indochina under certain prerequsites.
Just played a game. Here's some short pointers:
1. Only Jerusalem had the Silk Road Company... (not much of a silk road ). I would recommend also expanding the resources it deals in, to other commodities as well.
2. The English built Manchester!
3. I was really only able to have three cities as the Indonesians (Pandang, Sinapore and Jayakarta). I would remove some jungle, and more equally distribute resources, because Jakarta grows REALLY fast, while your other cities stick to 4 pop for quite a while (while Jakarta is already at 11 pop)
4. Can you please have Tokyo built more often. Edo is a city which should be built all most all the time for the Japanese, and like the Ottomans, have their capital shifted from Kyoto to Tokyo sometime in the 16-17th century.
5. The Mongols need to capture cities rather than raze them all the time. What ends up happening is that they capture a city and then raze it, and then retreat immediately. Thats why your not seeing Mongolian khanates in Russia and Persia :/
That needs to change...
6. China in 600 AD start keeps kicking Mongolia's butt, which forces them to maintain their own crappy cities in Mongolia. Either the Chinese need to be lightened up a bit, or the Mongols should get a bigger army to counter the Chinese threat early in their game.
7. Is it ok for the Koreans to be spreading in Manchuria too much? I'm with them having 2-3 cities, but sometimes they stretch themselves really too far out, and it becomes a problem. At least they've stopped Japan from creating those crappy cities in Siberia : P
8. Conqueror's event for the English in India, the Dutch in Indonesia and the French in Indochina would be really great, and would add a whole other dimension to the game. But I should warn you, that if you do something like that, you should increase the European oversea colonies stability.
9. Seeing Spain capture Lisboa was nice, I like it when they do that. But Portugal should have a mandatory respawn date, around the time they declared independence from the Crown of Spain.
10. Please stop the Arabs from capturing Ethiopia, instead of focusing in North Africa! What tends to happen is that while their busy building/capturing crappy cities in the Sudan/Ethiopia, Spain's culture swarms over Western Maghreb, therefore not allowing them to settle Morocco and Algiers.
IMO China needs a bit more stability, cuz everytime, every game they collapse on emperor difficulty, to counter this, adding more attacking units to mongolia is ok
hey, is Austria hungary in this version? or the next version? Oh by the way. What are the holy city shrines? haha Are they the temples that can only be built in it's corrosponding holy city?
Austria-Hungary is not included yet, in fact I don't believe Leoreth has done any work on them as of yet. There are still some issues with Asia. Also an Indian respawn would be nice...
As for Holy City shrines, they are shrines that are built in Holy Cities that only Great Prophets can build.
ok, thank you
Great work, played a quick game to ~1500, some things i noticed
The islands west of Borneo all say they are foreign on the stability maps, while a strip around Hanoi is down as the core.
I was able to destroy the Khmer within a few turns of starting, could have been just a one off not sure, but if not maybe it might be an idea to spawn defensive units instead of offensive?
So Indonesia, Korea and Thailand are included in the next version?
Is Thailand a Khmer respawn like Italy-Rome and the Safavids-Achaemenids?
Le gasp! Dumanios isn't dead!
Possible, but I fear that this will end up needlessly misunderstood ...
The silk road now uses silk, cotton and incense. All those resources are almost exclusively present around the historical region of the silk road. I'll also move two silks from China/Korea to some points at the silk road (I think Samarkand and Kashgar), this should help the Mongols to get it even if they fail to conquer China.
Also, it seems most of the cities have fallen under the threshold in the last versions. I've increased their corporation ratings across the board in my current working versions and my first test game had the road all over the Middle East
My current idea of the Indonesian UP is to allow them to build cities and improvements on jungle, which should mitigate the problem somewhat. I'll still rearrange some resources of course.
Edo is founded almost every game ... and I can add a capital shift when Edo gets renamed to Tokyo.
It's part of the problem, yes. I've already set the raze likeliness of both Mongol leaders to zero. Together with one improvement Linkman discovered it might help them.
True. The Mongol UP makes that a tricky balance though, because once they steamroll China their army becomes huge. From my experience, it's China's ability to muster half a dozen pikemen quite easily that's the problem for the Mongols.
I've never seen that. In 3000 BC they usually have only one city, and even in 600 AD never more than three. Exceptions are successful conquests, but you can hardly prevent that.
Afaik all European civs have historical areas in regions where I intend to send them.
Yeah, good point. It's even important for Mongolia's success that China lives longer, because else they conquer two Chinese cities and ignore the independents when the rest of China collapses.
Indonesia currently uses the Khmer stability maps, which of course ends up weird. Thanks for the notification about their units, I'll tune them down.
That's what I plan, yes
I was torn how to implement Thailand but decided to make them a player on their own, to make it easier to play as them. Their spawn will still depend on the situation of the Khmer (stable Khmer -> no Thais), so its more like the relation between Greece and Byzantium currently.
I'd like to propose a new tile system.. which will be great to be implemented in almost everywhere in game..
Straits (Act like river that impassable to Land Units)
I was thinking Thai's UHV should not get vassalized or lose any cities to European as it's their unique characteristics..
If Byzantine's goal is to have no city with Islam, how will they win if Islam spread to their cities naturally?
And how about my suggestion of having vassal color follow their masters?
I doubt it's possible to make that happen without considerable effort. Rivers are quite deeply entrenched into the engine so I can't simply copy them and change them a bit (not to mention other aspects like pathfinding would be affected as well). That makes some of the things you propose for the redone Indonesia map impossible, unfortunately (actually adding the rivers is quite ugly).
I had the same idea. But I intend to expand that a little and make them keep Europeans out of Southern Europe altogether (like the Native Americans' or Ethiopians' goal). I've also found a reference on Ayutthaya being likely the world's largest city in 1700, so that's another goal for free (though I'll have to test how feasible that actually is).
No, I want to require them to have Catholicism in all of their cities, not only Catholicism.
That's difficult for a couple of reasons:
a) The game engines only draws borders between civs when they have different colors, so their territory would end up completely inseparable.
b) I think it's not even possible to change someone's color - the only thing you can possibly change is their civilization, but even then I'm not sure if the color would change with them. And even then I would have to keep like 30 civs around for everyone to have one with the right color available ...
got a python exception while loading a game:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "CvEventInterface", line 23, in onEvent
File "CvRFCEventManager", line 111, in handleEvent
File "CvRFCEventManager", line 122, in_handleDefaultEvent
File "CvRFCEventHandler", line 649, in onTechAcquired
File "Victory", line 1881, in onTechAcquired
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'bfirst' referenced before assignment
Great job so far.
ps : I have noted that spain attacks too frequently, middle east cities, especially anatolian cities.
A fix is in the latest SVN revision
I pondered the Indonesia map changes for a while and decided that it's impossible to reasonably include the Maluku islands. So this is what I wound up with instead:
Noting Indonesia's favourite cities and some necessary adjustments to resource placement. Sumatra gets a slightly different shape.
Looks fine to me. But then, what do I know?
Ya that sounds great Leoreth! My biggest concern is just spreading out resources to all the islands, and making sure that the Indonesians can create cities on those islands, or else their condemned to have only three cities in total (Padang, Jakarta and Singarpore).
IMO before you return to Europe, (which I'm excited for), you should finish doing the following:
1. Create Indonesian city maps/settler maps
2. Give Indonesians more defensive units, rather than offensive
3. Stop the Khmer from spreading into Thailand and Singapore. Instead having them spread to Vietnam would be better.
4. Come up with new Khmer goals, to fit their new limited size
5. Have a respawning India. PLEASE! It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but just having Ashoka respawn in Delhi would be nice, because its such a massive waste of space currently.
6. Force the Safavid Persian respawn to build Isfahan, and stop the AI from building crappy Arshat (or w/e its called). Instead Tabriz should be an independent city, that spawns in 791 AD, when the city was rebuilt to its current state.
7. (OPTIONAL) Add Orthodox Christianity, that would be AWESOME!!
8. (OPTIONAL) Add conqueror's event to India (British/Portuguese/Dutch), Indo-China (France), and Indonesia (Dutch/British).
Separate names with a comma.