1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Algor Mortis

Algor Mortis Chieftain

Yeah I realized that shortly after I said to have that change... Nonetheless, we could make it so they are added to it in 1860 if possible to have them more involved from then on out.

As for the scheduled collapse, I would be content with just very large stability penalties, as long as it is large enough that you have trouble holding even a very few amount of cities at this time. I think Japan needs to be pretty much falling apart for the majority of the Sengoku as this keeps it from becoming the kind of power that it does in this time, and adds challenge and uniqueness to Japan as well as a possible UHV.

2. Orka

Orka Warlord

Leoreth, I think Central Asia should also be part of "Europe" in the beginning, too, since Persia's supposed to be there. You may also consider converting a part of SE Europe to Asia during the Ottoman period for the AI's sake.

3. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

I like the continent division, but why not make a Middle East continent as well? And connect it with the Balkans around the Ottoman spawn.

4. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

How about adding Sri Lanka and Maldives to Asia and adding New Zealand to Australia. Also add Iceland/Britain to Europe. Perhaps Madagascar to Africa? What about Indonesia?

India could definitely also use some more resources, because of the Jungle China has much better land (far more productive for example)

5. ilduce349

ilduce349 (Financial, Philo)

islands are each their own continent...

6. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

They don't have to be. Pretty much nothing "has to be" with SDK modding, except for the graphics stuff and a few other things stored in the executable.

On the other hand, I'm fairly confident that joining islands with the mainland might result in some odd stuff, depending on what specifically it is that continent splitting is used for.

7. McWinniage

McWinniage Disc Golf Prodigy

Well I'm back with another bug that is most likely caused by my idiotic computer. The problem I'm having is that I get a CTD right before the "Dawn of Man" text appears. It happens on both starts, regardless of what civ I've picked. I have it updated to the latest revision, and full permissions on all files within the mod. I tried to reinstall, but to avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, for I want to test out all the civs. :(

8. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Leoreth, did you remove the conditional Italian spawn?

And isn't the Silk route just a little bit overpowered? +6 food and +17 gold?

9. The Turk

The Turk Deity

I think adding the UK & Ireland to Europe, would create more interesting results, I think it should definetly be tried out. I also recommend having the English spawn in 1066 with a flip of one city in Northern France (Rouen or Caen). That would create a very interesting game.

10. J. pride

J. pride King

As You know, Me and many other people found that China was lacking in every way so today I present you an enhanced China Map. As Ive before above; China to me represents a unique opportunity where a player (or Ai) has to adapt to a very different and rather enjoyable strategy where a player must pack cities together in order to achieve victory. The land is very fertile but you Uhvs are even more challanging (after Loereth changes them). And this is what I hope to accomplish with the map below. Now as per Leoreths request here is a screenshot of the map changes:

Terrain Change:

Before
    Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG
    After (Yellow represents floodplains given to deltas and in one special case near Xian)
    Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

Resource Changes:
    Before
    Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    After
    Civ4ScreenShot0041.JPG

Now Here are some screenshots I took of Ai China (on Mongol Spawn):
    Before:
    Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG (was in a hurry, deleted my other screenshot for before but we all know how depopulated China was before the terrain changes)
    After:
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG

Now some of you might be thinking; well how does this affect the Mongols. Well you will be pleased to know that the Mongols do just fine (most of the time); although i do admit that there was a bit higher probability of them failing so I added a 2 extra Keshiks.

As far as human players are concerned; enjoy a pic of me obliterating China (even before the 2 extra Keshiks were added):
    Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG

Here is a download for the edited version

View attachment RFC 600 AD.zip
    RFC 600 file goes into Public Maps
    Riseandfall.py goes into Python which is inside Assets.

Feedback would be appreciated; especially if there are any imbalances or you find China too overpowered or anything like that.

NOTES TO LEORETH:

1)In addition to map changes I made the following changes:
    -Removed an archer and settler from spawn and instead flipped an extra city (Kaifeng) with archer.
    -I built imrovements for 2 or three resources from the start to help growth.

2) The Mongol conquest of China is too slow. This problem was present even before I edited the map. The Mongols only conquered a few northern cities by Turkish spawn when they should have conquered all or nearly all of China. The Mongols do eventually conquer China but it takes too long (1400-1500 ad); this problem was present before but has just been more noticable in the edited China version. Now i realize that Mongols are pretty strong and dont need a boost especially since i easily conquered China by 1240 ad but i suggest you make the initial Keshiks spawn more south for the Ai perhaps in Beijing after it flips. You should spawn them more south somehow regardless if u add my changes to the game or not.

3) I think my edits made a slight problem; the computer asks me if i want to flip Chinese territory (as the Mongols)
    Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG

4) Something would be needed to represent Chinas and Mongolias downfall after the Middle Ages:

-To represent Mongolias downfall a Ming Dynasty respawn would be your best bet.

-Representing the Chinese downfall is more tricky but what you can do are the following things:
    a. Make the research penalty for all post medieval (or renaissance) techs significantly higher. Lack of technological adaptability was what caused Chinas historical demise after the Medieval/Renaissance Age.
    b. Make the cost for post Renaissance unites and buildings significantly higher. One historical example would be the Opium War; while the British were using industrial era ironclads; China was using 15th century wooden ships.

11. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Great job as always, J. Pride.

12. J. pride

J. pride King

Thanks , I appreciate it.

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

@J.Pride:
    Looks good! Did you test AI city placement in 3000 BC as well? I think I'll adapt most of it.

I'm not too thrilled by a scripted Ming respawn, it comes too early and likely ruins the Mongols before they even get going.

There seems to be something wrong on either your system or the way the modmod is installed. Does regular RFC work without problems? Do you have another computer available to test it out there?

Apparently I did, although I can't say why anymore ...

How many resources did you have for that result?

14. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

Your map changes will eventually help the Mongols IMO because their UP is tied to city size :
    it seems that the UP only works for city with 5+ city size which meant 3 cities max in mainland China before. Now the UP will work as intended, with great hordes of keshiks spawning whenever a city is conquered.

15. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

1) Let me know when you figure it out

2) I don't remember, but I cycled through multiple cities and they all had that. However considering that civs will trade resources, it seems like that'll be common enough.

16. The Turk

The Turk Deity

@J.Pride

Kaifeng is too far south, a pre-existing Beijing should be there, with one of its earlier names and lastly Nanjing is a VERY important coastal city, so not having it on the coast is committing a grave error.

17. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Just won a game of 3000 BC China. I Researched polytheism - priesthood - monotheism and built the Oracle to bulb Theology, oh yeah. No need to rush calendar in this modmod. Conquered Japan as usual - overseas trade very important. I stayed Pantheon until I built the Colosseum, Mausoleum of Mausollos (and the Great Cothon in Taipei-- 16 tiles of water), then switched civic and converted to Christianity. Although lacking marble, I still built many classical wonders.

Got Buddhism spread to my cities so I can build Shwedagon Paya, then adopt secularism after Khmer spawn, then Khmer vassalized to me, and I can befriend with all civs, and Arabs traded marble to me.

Got the first GA by GP, the second by Taj Mahal (conquered two city in India, then built missionary, bulb constitution by liberalism), the third by GP (no need to research nationalism), and the final in 1600 when 2/3 UHV triggered.

Switched to state church before I discovered printing press, then I have both Catholicism and Prostentism holy city in Beijing, that's good. By the end I had 5 cities in America, 2 in India, 9 in mainland China - Beijing(1e, coast), Pyongyang, Hangzhou, Haojing/Aomen, Luoyang, Changchun, 3 in Mongol; 3 in Japan: Jingdu, Fugang, Jianghu; 1 in Taiwan: Taipei (with Great Cothon and 4 food sources, it grew to 24).

China can be the most powerful in player hand. In AI it nearly always suck and backward.

18. J. pride

J. pride King

First off, I worked hard on balancing and researching theses cities so I think I know what i'm doing ;). But to be specific:
    1) Kaifeng is on the southern banks of the yellow river and so I think it is as accurate as it gets.
    And if you look at the map Xian is directly west of Kaifeng so that is how I came up with the location and anyways I didnt change the settler map; so that spot was Kaifeng no matter what.

2) Last time I checked Nanjing was 250-300 km inland; that is as coastal as Paris, Berlin and even Madrid. If i put the city any west it will be rightly called Shanghai.

Here is a map: ( Jiangning is Nanjing)
    China_11a.jpg

19. hoplitejoe

hoplitejoe Top fun-poster

I forgot about this! The same thing happened to me in an unedited version.

20. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

@youtien:
    Great, never heard someone actually doing China 3000 BC under DoC :goodjob:

Is someone interesting in testing how fast China can research Music (cathedrals), Paper, Compass, Gunpowder and Printing Press (four great inventions) under the current conditions? And who else knows these techs by then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.