1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. pride

J. pride King

Ilduce, Dont worry right now the my world builder is pretty messed so Ill just merge it with the 600 ad and 3000 ad map myself and upload it for u and whoever is interested.

2. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

One of you should change that first. That does make a difference.

EDIT: Crosspost. I see J. pride is taking care of the problem.

3. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

Actually, how much is the size of the new DoC after SVN update?
    The last time I download the patch, the size is around 500Mb..
    But now it still downloading and have reach up to 800Mb ???

China in 3000BC should start in Luoyang under the name Zhenxun (Now : Erlitou)..

Nah, I'd like to comment about Indonesia's population UHV...
    Since, Sri Vijaya or Majapahit wasn't that populous..

From my view, it'll looks great if one of the UHV is like uniting Nusantara archipelago under one rule by 1500AD..
    So, there's coded Indies spawn, City flip to Indie at certain date.. etc..
    It might be hard to be coded, though -_-"

4. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

For India I would suggest making the Indo-Gangetic plan a lot less Jungle and a lot more Flood Plains, especially around Dhaka

5. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

:agree:

PS : Just completed the first SVN download OMG.. hehehe

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I can only repeat that you're really good at making maps :goodjob:

What would actually help me more than a WBSave in implementing this would be a before-and-after screenshot of the whole area (including where you removed resources) with resource icons activated. I'd rather know what I'm doing before I merge some files :)

Yeah, I have no problem with a historically powerful China, it even makes some UHV challenges possible that were previously unthinkable.

The only downsides I can see: there must be a way to prevent Mongolia to benefit from all that on full scale, or else they'll become insanely powerful. And China itself should face some kind of decline after the Middle Ages.

Actually I think that coal should be removed from the Japanese islands and placed in Manchuria instead. This would give the Japanese UB an actual purpose and at the same time motivate them to conquer Mongolia (you still need railroads).

I know (first I feared that would lead to a holy city in Kashgar but it doesn't). I don't think that's a problem.

If you knew how many useless stuff is floating around here :lol:

I probably have to :( Okay, how should it work? In my opinion, "Europe" should include North Africa and Persia during the ancient and classical eras to emulate the classical world. When Byzantium arrives (?), North Africa and actual parts of Asia become part of the "Asia" continent again. On the Turkish spawn, the Constantinople tile becomes part of "Asia" as well. "Africa" is only sub-Saharan Africa.

Thanks! It was hard for me to research actual Korean names in the area (not being able to transliterate Hangul), so I went with Manchurian ones outside of the Korean peninsula. If you say the names in CiA are good, I'll have a look at them. :)

The flag is the imperial seal of the Korean Empire. I've preferred it because it suits the two-color scheme of Civ better than the Taegeukgi.

I don't like UHVs that ask you to do things you would do anyway.

Okay. Do you think it needs some extra resources as well? I'm thinking about the Mumbai area especially.

7. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

It might be okay for the Mongols to be powerful in control of China if they lost the rest of their empire. They could then represent the Yuan dynasty of China? The Mongolian Empire at its peak should historically be very short-lived anyway, and it would be cool to see them loose their peripheral cities and essentially retreat inside China until a respawn representing the Ming dynasty pushes them back out into Mongolia to wither away or often collapse entirely. The Ming respawn could be conditional, occuring after a certain date when the Yuan are unstable.

8. whaleman

whaleman Chieftain

So, I have a couple of questions. 1st question: In the new version, will Italy be playable from the start? 2nd quetion: Will Austria Hungary be in the next version? Question 3: What will Austria Hungary's goals be?

9. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

To play as Italy, start a game as Inca and change civ on the ~3rd turn for Italy. It's the only way to make Italy both playable and a respawn of Rome.
    About the next version (v 1.8), the changes will focus on Asia, so no Austria/hungary. This will have to wait for v 1.9. And since Leoreth hasn't started working on Europe, he has not given us his thoughts on the Austrian UHV, if he has ideas already. But it's true that I'm also eager to see a working Austria/Prussia split !

10. ilduce349

ilduce349 (Financial, Philo)

I have a question.

Is there anyway to change civs more then once?

aka, I would like to start as Babylon, change to Phoenicia, change to Spain, change to America
    However we can only change civs once per game. Is it possible to change that?

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yes. The easiest way to do this is to search "def getAlreadySwitched" in RiseAndFall.py and replace the line below it with "return False".

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Okay, for the first time I took a closer look at Rhye's continent partition and came up with this map of the major continents (uncolored landmasses are treated as their own continent, islands for example).

What surprised me is how far south "Africa" begins. This could be a good possibility to stop Arabia from expanding there too much. Also, in my opinion England should become part of Europe to get a little more involvement in the wars going on there. This is how it should be at the beginning of the game in my opinion:

At the end of the classical era, all the non-European parts that are marked as Europe (Middle East and Maghreb) are changed to Asia.

13. Alduskkel

Alduskkel Chieftain

Here's a (terrible quality because it was too large otherwise) screenshot of me as Rome controlling Greece but not having Byzantium spawn.

336 A.D. Marathon, Rome
    Stability: Stable

Attached Files:

14. ilduce349

ilduce349 (Financial, Philo)

I just had one of those as well, never really occured to me what happened...

15. Algor Mortis

Algor Mortis Chieftain

I've been thinking about Japan as it is now, and if anything could be changed as you are focusing on Asia. The comment of England not being part of Europe is something that gave me an idea. Is it possible that you could make Japan not part of Asia until around the 1860's so as to represent its isolationism and possibly prevent it constantly declaring war on China and Korea? Would this even do this, or am I misunderstanding the continents system? Also, would this be too small of an area to warrant a change at a certain date? I don't know anything of how difficult it would be to make this happen.

You'll probably hear more from me soon about Japan, if there is interest.

16. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

Would changing Africa like that cause Ethopia and Mali to expand further south?

Also, noticed playing that when corporations leave a city the TXT_KEY_CORP comes up instead of normal text

17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

I'm not sure myself what the continent system actually does influence. But I guess chances are higher that they interact with China when they share a continent, yes.

More thoughts on Japan would be great!

18. Algor Mortis

Algor Mortis Chieftain

Well, I'll share them! I've always wondered about the possibility of modelling the Sengoku period in Japan, and really the fact that Japan was not in a situation to project power outside of the home islands (and not even that some times) for most of its history. I also wanted to emphasize the huge change from the Meiji Restoration forward. So.. I have a few ideas that I would appreciate some help thinking through. (especially J. pride's help on the map! :D)

Hmm... Too many different ideas.
    First of all, I would recommend a redesign of Japan's map to perhaps give a little more room for more cities, and to have a style somewhat similar to the suggested Chinese style of cramped cities in good land. I wouldn't suggest very much more land to Japan, a tile here and there. I would also advise placing more food resources throughout the home islands, particularly sea resources. I would NOT advise placing any more production resources, as Japan actually has very very little natural resources of the sort in its borders. This is what influenced Japan to conquer other more resources rich areas in history, and I would guess it would do the same in game.

Now for the hard part.

I'm really not sure how to represent the takeover of the Shogun and the beginning of the Kamakura Shogunate. Hmm... Perhaps a capital change to Kamakura (Which I think we could call the current Edo/Tokyo location until 1500-1600's, as it wasn't really important until it was established as the capital of the Tokugawa Shogunate. This would have the Japanese Civ itself represent the perspective of the Emperor, and then have it switch to the perspective of the Shogun. Also, it would save the capital from needing to be switched later on, as it could remain in Kamakura, then Edo, then Tokyo from then on. And that leads to the Sengoku...

All of my ideas about the Sengoku era have a heavy focus on independents taking control of the majority of Japan, and the actual civ of Japan must focus on reunification. This I think would as well make a good first UHV, something like "Control all of the Japanese home islands by X." I just can't make up my mind as to a good way to go about this specifically. I'm thinking perhaps have a huge stability hit, or preferably a scheduled collapse, in the 1300-1400's to represent the breakdown of the power of the Shogun. This would lead to all Japanese cities but Kamakura (Which I suppose we could call Edo around this time) independent, preferably all at war with each other and Japan. At this point, the Japan civ puts everything towards reunification, and represents the Tokugawa as they come out on top and end the Sengoku era. Once Japan is reunified, then should come a huge boost to tech in the 1860's and the addition of Japan to Asia, if it does what I hope it does.

Sorry that was horribly LONG not wrong, but I've been thinking this over since I first played Japan in RFC.

19. Algor Mortis

Algor Mortis Chieftain

Also I realize that the above suggestions make for some radical changes, so I don't mind any disagreement or suggestions to my suggestions or even downright ridicule. :p So don't take them too seriously.

20. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

From those pictures it looks like Japan is already not a part of Asia..

As for the above post, I'm completely against scheduled collapses, but otherwise good ideas :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.