1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AOS9001

AOS9001 Slightly over 9000.

Portuguese India, Portuguese Canton, Dutch Indonesia, all done by AI? Oh man, oh god, I'm not sure if I'm ready for that level of awesome. This should spice things up a lot.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Not yet, but that's the next thing I'll do.

It works like this: if Spain, France, England, Portugal or Netherlands are among the first five civs to research Economics, they'll get some help in acquiring certain historical spots. If the plots are empty, they get a settler + some defenders, else they declare war on the owners and get an offensive army.

It works for both human and AI, but I guess I'll have to tone the number of units down if it's for the player.

Yeah, it's quite random, I've also had games where the British end up in control of India. See the attached post for an example. The French can get there too (see the stack about to attack Portugal).

As I said, the Khmer were just random luck.

Well I kind of had to force this onto the AI, but yeah :D

3. J. pride

J. pride King

Do they only get one spot because civs like the Portugal had two or three spots.

France: Madras in India and IndoChina.
    Portugal: Cylon and Goa and Malacca. (although i reccomend that they start at Cochin because Goa is too close to Mumbai)
    Dutch: Cylon and East Indies

As you can see there are some contested areas; theses should go to the civs that research the tech first but the second civ should be more likely to declare war when they research the tech and even conquer the territory on their own.

Also Im curious to how you are going to represent all their conquests with one tech when there was 150 year difference between different colonizations.
    Portugal and Dutch: Started conquest in 1500s
    British and French: Started in the mid 1700s

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The spots the civs get are:

Spain: Manila
    France: Pondichery
    England: Two out of Bombay, Madras, Calcutta
    Portugal: Three out of Masqat, Goa, Cochin, Malacca and Canton
    Netherlands: Sumatra, Java, Borneo, maybe Sulawesi

Civs do declare war on each other if their spots intersect, just like against the native civs that live there in the beginning.

5. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

Looking forward to this update already. :D

6. J. pride

J. pride King

In the short term it makes sense but Pondichery in the long term was not an important city itll be better if they started at Madras. The brits should rather not get Madras.

7. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

This looks great, but to be honest I still prefer the idea of projects along the lines of ''Indonesian Expedition'', ''Indian Expedition'', etc etc. These could be attatched to different techs to represent the different times of colonisation. It would also allow one civ to dominate in the end (as irl with Britain) by beelinging the naval/exploration tech line and building the projects before other civs. It would also give more replayability because specific civs wouldn't be tied to set areas, specific areas could have multiple projects to allow several waves of invasion, and you could even expand it as a system to allow things like a ''Vinland Expedition'' for the Danes, or a ''Treasure Fleet Expeditions'' for China or other Asian civs.

8. Opera

Opera Deity

Sounds awesome, really :)

Also, someone talked about beefing Japan. After playing them, I see no need to do that. Maybe the AI does somewhat badly (city placement maybe?) but beefing them up would benefit too much the human.

9. AOS9001

AOS9001 Slightly over 9000.

Well, the tech requirements could differ for each colonial Civ. Portugal and Spain got into the business the earliest, maybe astronomy would be the best tech for them. Dutch could follow up with economics, and British/French with corporation. Or something along those lines.

10. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

What's up with that Turkey?

11. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

Yes, show us that wonderful Turkey. :eek:

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Alt-history is the key word here. And Madras and Pondichery are the same plot.

Yeah, but it's hard to get the AI to appreciate projects that have no apparent effect for them. In the beginning I had the feature triggered on building trading companies, but even then only two civs or so made it by America's spawn, no matter how much I increased the AI factors associated with it.

That's possible, I guess.

13. ozqar

ozqar King

I particularly like how this sounds! Also, you could give specific civs a bonus when researching a "colonization tech" that was historically done by them, like giving the Spanish a bonus when researching the Colonization of Mexico or Peru. Then again, the more "war-like" colonizations (like Mexico) could be linked to military techs, while other, more "economic-like" colonizations (like India) could be linked to financial techs.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I didn't even give particular attention to it because that's how Turkey always looked after I've reintroduced the continent boundaries. ;) The save is gone, unfortunately.

I think the new world conquests are still handled best the way they are - for the first civ that discovers them.

15. Ekolite

When will the new version be out anyway? And where do I download the SVN? :)

16. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

That attachment... OMFG is that blob the Turks?

17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Well if the supply of good ideas continues at this rate, never :p I still have some things on my to do list so it still might take a while.

You can find a guide on using the SVN in the very first post of this thread :)

18. Ekolite

Well you could always give the projects some kind of gold and/or happiness bonus as well to represent the increase in wealth that the colonies provided to the home nation, or something like that?

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The trading companies also have that and it didn't affect them.

20. Opera

Opera Deity

Forgot to mention: the Indonesians got killed almost immediately by barbs horse archers on their main island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.