1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Weird.. It must be frustrating working with such incompetant AI. I don't understand why it would be any different to building normal wonders for them?

2. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Because... well I don't know how much you have modded, but the AI doesn't automatically know anything, except the stuff Firaxis or Rhye have taught it. You have to not only tell it that building/ unit/ action X does Y, but also what type of situations it should be used/ built in. This is especially true with something as scripted as what Leoreth is doing here. And AI modding is not fun because there's so many factors that have to be taken into account.

3. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

Before you move off Asia, I think something should be done to fix the Philippines, to stop the Japanese always settling the northmost tile early. Maybe remove the mountain and one jungle to give the Indonesians/Spanish or other colonials a chance to actually conquer it, or spawn native/barbarian units or an independent city to harass them.
    Or even just jungle until a certain date to make it uninhabitable.

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Exactly. You can of course try to increase the importance the AI gives those buildings, which I've done, but that's it. I don't dare to interfere more directly with how it works because you have no idea about the side effects (what if the AI actually needs units? Or actually more useful buildings? Etc.).

I just thought the same thing when I was watching how the South Asian colonization unfolds and that Spanish Manila often ends up culture flipped by Japanese Raoagu. I'll simply stop Japan from settling there.

5. hoplitejoe

hoplitejoe Top fun-poster

Japan settles enough useless cities in the north already.

6. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

You could, as was done in RFCM: BWS, turn that into jungle and then set it as forest in the 1600's. This is in Synthesis too but I'm thinking of moving it forward even more because all that happens is that Japan simply decides to plop down whenever it does become forest. Or, with Leoreth's trading company, you could turn it into forest along with the Spanish Manila settler. Your last option, and the more I think about this the more I like it, is to spawn and Indie Seludong, along with the forest switch, on the Manila tile.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That as well.

8. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

So I've only just re-installed civ 4, and for some reason I can't seem to get your mod to work, or in fact basic RFC. Every time I try to load it, it comes up with an error message. The disk I'm using is new, and its Civ Complete if that makes any difference. I've been extracting the download into the mods folder, but still won't work. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Did you patch it? I don't think Civ Complete comes with the latest BtS patch.

10. ilduce349

ilduce349 (Financial, Philo)

I was thinking about Japan. Why does it start so early?

It was still a neolithic civilization until 300 bc and wasn't unified until 1573 (Yamato and co never controlled the north)

I think Japan would have a lot less issues with it if it started in the 1400s.

11. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Still suggestion for west China.... cities across the Sillk Road should have at least 1-2 decent tile so they can grow to 5-6 and have a moderate production, like many cities in SoI does.

12. ilduce349

SoI??

13. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Dunno if you're playing with the latest version of the SVN but this has already been done.

14. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Sword of Islam, an awesome RFC modmod set in the Middle East

15. ilduce349

Sword of Islam is awesome, I wasn't sure what he was referring to when he said SoI

16. ilduce349

@J Pride: I played a game as China on your map. China had to much food in the early game.
    I ended up running out of builds to build for my first 4 cities and was pumping out settlers every 12 (on marathon) turns.

The result: -1 gpt on 0% science. As a result Persia beat me to Toaism.

17. J. pride

J. pride King

Im sorry but can u play on regular; alot of the things are not balanced for Marathon speed as I dont know how to edit the Dll code. Actually I know that some civs are only balanced for regular. Balancing for marathon requires me changing Chinese growth rate and such.

Explain please? I didnt take any commerce out of China.

18. ilduce349

Basically I had so much food, and with the help of serfdom, had such a high productivity, I ran out of things to build, so had nothing to do but build axeman and settlers. As a result I expanded to the extended that I bankrupted my nation preventing me from running anything other then 0% science.

Due to my lack of science, I lost the race to toaism by 17 turns. (But I could brag that I had all of China, Korea and Mongolia under my control)

19. J. pride

J. pride King

Ah! That mustve been quite a game; Did u remeber to pack ur cities together? anyways can you try playing on normal speed and report if u experience the same things?

Also when u start the game; can u wb a settler in Xian and get rid of the one in Beijing and then play (Xian is not as overpowered as Beijing).

What is your solution to the current problem? BTW: Thanks for the feedback! (im considering spawning some resources later on)

20. ilduce349

I actually started in Xi'an. Took the 3 turns it takes to move from Beijing to Xi'an before started. However Beijing was the first city I built and it was far superior to Xi'an in production and food.

My 3rd city was Nanjing, followed by Ghangzhou, followed by Korea, followed by Hangzhou, followed by Bactou (or something like that) followed by one in between Korea and Beijing, followed by one in Mongolia (Which was eventually razed by Barbs)

My solution to the problem. Well first I am think I will remove some of the forests to see if the lack of chopping ability will weaken China.

However its 2 am and I have school tomorrow, so I will try that tomrrow when I get home :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.