1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do white people have a mostly positive or negative effect on America?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mark1031, Jul 27, 2018.

?

Do white people have a mostly positive or negative effect on America?

1. positive

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. negative

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

National governments' position in the European Union Justice and Home Affairs Council majority vote to relocate 120,000 refugees:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europ...ajority_vote_to_relocate_120,000_refugees.svg

2. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Chieftain

I can't speak for the government for I am not the government (and also, are you taking Trump's administration seriously?), but can you provide some examples of serious US academics trying to impose US-centric standards on the rest of the world? Because that's just not academic at all.

3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

There's a difference, surely, between regarding something as a socially-accurate description, and regarding it as a positive identity to be upheld and reproduced? That's the point that is being made, when people talk about disavowing whiteness, not getting fussy about it because your grandad was Lithuanian or whatever.

4. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

How about, as an easy example, all the times American academics criticize the French concept of secularism and say they should be like the US instead?

https://www.google.fr/amp/s/foreign...rench-secular-soul-laicite-charlie-hebdo/amp/

I mean, telling other nations how they should be is a timeless American tradition, so now it's true that the whole world loves to tell Americans how they should be as well.

5. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Yes, I am quite aware of the US Census Bureau's definition. I am also quite certain that the majority of US Americans definitely do not consider Egyptians/Lebanese/Moroccans as white. That would be delusional.

I also don't have to be a US citiziens to comment on racism (in general or in the US, doesn't really matter), that's just dumb. You don't have to be European to critisize the EU. You don't have to be Jewish to comment on Israeli foreign policy.

:lol: :lol:

maybe if you want people to only talk about their country, their people, on your grounds, then the internet just isn't for you :)

6. yung.carl.jung

very much agree there. I would even go one step farther and say that racism (white this, blacks that) has only recently gained popularity at all (as have white power movements). Europe is into different forms of discrimination:

localism, ethnic tribalism, islamophobia, classism, poor shaming, anti semitism, eurocentrism..

the whole "x skincolor is objectively less intelligent and needs to stop breeding" kind of scientific racism is slowly creeping towards Europe, though.

I had a good think last night, about Sam Harris, Charles A. Murray and their ilk. they're the avant garde of racism. they scientifically legitimize notions of IQ measuring a persons worth for society, they basically plow the land for the racists to sow their seeds. this kind of IQ-as-end-all-be-all/productivity/western civilization(®) movement could be extremely harmful if it gathered more steam.

when a group of people has the power to literally level the entire planet (which they have liberally used before) at their disposal then I have a really hard time not giving a ****

Bootstoots, klar_heiland and Kyriakos like this.
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Interesting, I read an entire podcast conversation between Harris and Ezra Klein yesterday. I concluded that Sam Harris completely lacks a sense of history. I think he's really ignorant of a lot of it.

Chose likes this.
  8. yung.carl.jung

that's incredibly weird. I actually stumbled among that same podcast yesterday. do we share the same benelovant all-knowing algorhythm, perhaps?

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Maybs. I think what happened was that I looked up the poll in the OP after someone posted a screenshot of the Twitter poll, found a Vox article about it which I posted, and that Vox article contained a link to the transcript of the podcast posted on Vox.

Again my impression from it was that Harris isn't a scientific racist, just a credulous idiot who can't recognize scientific racism when it dances naked in front of him, because he's almost totally ignorant of the relevant history.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  10. danjuno

danjuno Keeper of Ancient Memes

Yeah, race is an utter mess of a social construct, so it's little surprise bureaucrats can't keep up. Right now, most Americans would say race = color, whereas 19th century American definitions of race were all over the place. Theodore Roosevelt is said to have refered to Irish Presbyterians as a race.

But honestly, if we go off the whole race = color thing, are Southern Europeans even white?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  11. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I dunno, people regardless of color have had a pretty bad result on the world.

I think this question is actually posed by our secret Robotic overlords that are deciding if it is time to kill all humans.

12. yung.carl.jung

I agree wholly with your post. As for the bolded part, I would say no, not really. To me southern Italians/Greeks look a lot more like people from the middle east than they do like your average Sven or your average Hans.

You give him the benefit of the doubt, which is being nice. I don't, but that might just be because I hate his dumb face :lol:

13. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Chieftain

That's just an opinion piece written by one person. Where is "all the times"? Can you provide a sufficiently big sample size that we can draw conclusions about the larger population.

By the way, I am not denying US cultural imperialism and the attempt to establish a political hegemony over the rest of the world, especially with Trump in the White House, but making an intentionally faulty argument with someone on the Internet because you don't like it being made towards you is accomplishing... what exactly?

How did this conversation even start? I made a comment about the official US definition of whiteness, and someone decided to teach me a geography lesson? To what end? The poll was also very clearly US-centric, which is why it operates the term "white" in the first place.

14. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

As has been said, this statement/question is far, far too broad/vague and needs narrowing down before a concrete answer can be given.

Having said that, my mind jumped to the 2016 election results demographic breakdown, which was a very clear and ugly picture of the negative.

15. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I must say that Vampires have had a mostly negative impact on America.

Archon_Wing likes this.
  16. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Vampires are the worst anyway. Lost my job at a blood bank because of them. Manager said that guy can tell the blood type just by looking at it. I hate when they come into my country and bring skills that I don't have.

17. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Sam Harris is a tool who lately has been plugging the "work" of Charles Murray. Not a good look.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I am being nice. I've said much meaner things about Harris in the past and I would say those mean things to his "face" if I was on Twitter.

19. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Yeah, there's a reason there's a YouTube channel called "It's ok to be Smart". Even at eight years old I remember thinking life would be easier if I was just some regular schmuck (not that I'm some great genius by any means but the run of the mill kids in public school were dumb as bricks).

20. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Oh god, the irony :lol: