German state elections in March

So what is the real impact of these state level votes? Not much?

Obviously, there is real impact on state level politics, because all these states are going to get a new government. But as the media has been all going refugees!!! :run:, I have no idea what is being discussed there.

On the federal level, the composition of the Bundesrat is going to change and Merkel might have slightly more trouble to get the votes together for anything the states need to approve. In the short term, Merkel will be safe, especially because the CDU politicians that lost these elections were not her most loyal followers, but have all tried to put some distance between themselves and her.

But then, the federal elections are next year and it is unclear whether Merkel wants to continue or not. If she does, she might face a revolt of her party, if she does not, a fight for her succession will break out. In any case it is going to be interesting.

Long term, it is hard to say. It remains to be seen if the AfD can use these victories to build a lasting powerbase to the right of the CDU, or if it crumbles like many other minor parties after victories in state elections. Part of that depends on how much longer this refugee panic will last.

These election results will require coalitions that have never been tried before. I remains to be seen how stable these are and whether they are a sign of the changing party landscape or if they are just local aberrations.

Time for a recap!

Baden-Würtemmberg:
Green-Black seems most likely (http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video-168597.html)

Rheinland-Pfalz:
It is not clear yet as far as I could find.

Sachsen-Anhalt:
AfD got one more seat than expected. The parties want to hold conventions before deciding on coalitions, so we will be waiting for some time.

Do German voters really have that short of a memory?
Or by "hope no one remembers" you mean, "hope the voters forgive for pragmatic reasons"?

Five years is a long time. Who knows whether the UK, Greece, Turkey and Ukraine will be part of the EU five years from now (or on their way in or out), what the situation in the Middle East will be, what the economy is doing, how many terrorist attacks, natural disasters and nuclear power plant incidents will have occurred?

When you can kick the can 5 years down the road in an acceptable coalition, why let the perfect be the enemy of the acceptable?

Leoreth said:
I wonder what awkward words journalists will come up with to name all those new potential coalitions over the next days.

I've seen the usual traffic light coalition, Deutschland coalition but also Kiwi coalition and Jamaica coalition. Any highlights I missed?

I've seen the usual traffic light coalition, Deutschland coalition but also Kiwi coalition and Jamaica coalition. Any highlights I missed?
A new one I've learned was Kenya coalition for the black/red/green color scheme of the discussed coalition in Saxony-Anhalt.

They [Sachsen-Anhalt] could go for a CDU+SPD+Green coalition and kick the can 5 years down the road. It'd be a mockery of the election result, but they can hope no-one will remember.

Kenya coalition it is!

Talking to myself here...
In Baden-Württemberg, it's either Green+CDU (which CDU will not like!), or Green+SPD+FDP, or CDU+SPD+FDP (which the Greens won't like!).

Green +CDU it is!

Some talk that CSU wants to split up from CDU and move to the right. That'd be bad for the AfD. I'm not sure it would be great for the CSU though, they risk a CDU-SPD grand coalition without the CSU.

Some talk that CSU wants to split up from CDU and move to the right. That'd be bad for the AfD. I'm not sure it would be great for the CSU though, they risk a CDU-SPD grand coalition without the CSU.

Talk is cheap. I very much doubt that will happen. The usual counterthreat of the CDU is to found a Bavarian branch, which might cost the CSU a lot of votes and might even doom it in the long run.

they already are and thats fine for the CDU - its after all their proclaimed role. Ever since Strauß almost 50 years ago they proclaim that on their right there is nothing but the wall and the more cautious CSU politicians merely step back a bit and proclaim that on their right there is no space for a democratic party. That they now find not only a paty to their right but one with real success in getting elected is a serious problem for them.
Another problem for them is that they right now feel that they need to oppose the governments policies to do get back to being the rightmost democratic party which they surprisingly find hard to pull off convincingly while being part of the larger caucus of the governing coalition.

That said: there is currently a leadership race going on in the CSU as the current head Seehofer appears to be retiring (for the tenth or os time I feel, maybe he really does now, who the hell knows) and the potential successors are trying to get some, any really, attention by anyone. This thing is more playing to their own intraparty audience than anything else and is not going anywhere.

I'm not so sure CDU will want to form a coalition with AfD. It is hard to negotiate with the AfD on the state level, when their main policy point is mostly played out on the national and European level. Typically, parties are also reluctant to work together with new political movements. In the Netherlands, most of the new parties (LPF is the prime example, with smaller issues for Wilders' PVV and 50+) have suffered from internal fights/defections. A party that goes from 0 to success needs to find parliamentarians quite quickly and does not have the several year training/screening process of the traditional parties. Add to that that anti-establishment parties attract unusual and often incompatible candidates.
If the new party has internal struggles, you don't want to be in a coalition with them.

Not surprised at all.

Some bloke in the AfD Baden-Württemberg caucus (fraction/parliamentary group) was accussed of anti-Semitism. Part of the caucus wanted to kick him out, but that requires a 2/3 majority within the parliamentary party. They could not find such a large majority, so now more than half the parliamentarians have quit the caucus and are starting their own caucus.

accused of antisemitism for a book peddling the protocols of the elders of zion as probably not fiction and for calling talmud-judaism the enemy of the christian occident - this one wasn't even hard to decide on the accusation, merely on the politics of it. You can certainly keep people like that around, it just makes it impossible to deny palling around with anti-semites. The very fact that they were unable to find 2/3 of their caucus to atleast understand the politics of it is a problem for them of course (and a blessing for those fighting against this particular crop of nationalists).

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern next week. SPD and die Linke are looking like they will lose compared to 5 years ago. SPD and CDU will probably get enough seats for a grand coalition. Question is how well the AfD will do.

looks like its a race for second place with the CDU this time - I really hate a political spectrum where most election results lead to a CDU/SPD or SPD/CDU government by default. In Mecklenburg-Vorpommern it might just be possible to have a SPD, Left, Green government which I am no fan of either, but perpetual "grand" coalitions are simply bad for all sorts of reasons, mostly though since public discussion on policy differences has ceased to exist for all intents and purposes - we need a strong opposition in most places.

Most polls I've seen for MVP have our "grand" coalition around 50% so they only gain the majority by a hair's breadth. There is plenty of opposition to go around, even though most of it is directionless opposition in the shape of the AfD.

The configuration we have on the federal level with CDU/CSU having close to a majority on their own was a historical fluke that is thankfully not going to repeat. There are some problems with grand coalitions (that the rise of the AfD causes) in terms of corruption and calcification of the political system, but the outcomes of the last state elections have shown how the liberal parties in opposing camps are willing to work together in different combinations while shutting out the illiberal AfD, so I'm not too worried about that.

Top Bottom