1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideological Turing Test

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Tahuti, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

How much do you know about the ideologies you attack? To find out, behold...

The Ideological Turing Test!

Basically, it boils down to having to impersonate a Libertarian, Conservative or whatever and getting people to think you actually are one of the people you are impersonating.

2. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I'm pretty sure I could argue convincingly in favour of a conservative position, but I'm not sure I could successfully mimic a conservative and their particular manner of argumentation. I think they are two different things and I'm not sure the test will actually achieve its aims for this reason.

3. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Society is more than just the sum of its individuals. And some individuals arguably exist outside it. We cannot just reduce the reason d'etre of all human life to just economic variables and individual self-interest, much less put forward policies that take into account only these things. Immigration and Free Trade are contradictory to self-sufficiency and thus inhibit our abilities to be able to cling to our culture and our essence. It obliterates who we are, for each individual is the product of his or her community. Likewise, gay marriage and abortion are the product of the arrogant view that individuals, not families are the basic unit of society, corrupting these, and so the whole of society.

The nation is the complete end of morality, for it gives us the only reason to live, more so than vain individualism and impersonal universalism.

Spoiler :
    I was trying to impersonate an ultra-nationalist

4. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

Just ignore statistics and cite anecdotes.

5. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Yeah, see, those may be the arguments that the more philosophical nationalists use, but it is not a good impression of an actual nationalist. An actual nationalist would talk about how great this nation is, how great its people are, how great its values are, and how we must prevent them from being destroyed by liberal ideals and the influence of foreign, disruptive elements. He doesn't appeal to morality or nebulous concepts like "universalism" or "individualism"; he appeals to our love of country, tradition, family and history.

While an ideology might have a coherent philosophical underpinning, most people who support that ideology don't. Arguing convincingly for an opposing ideology and successfully imitating an opposing ideology's proponent are two different things. "French culture and traditional French values are being destroyed by fundamentalist Muslim immigrants" would be a better impression of a FN supporter than what you wrote (noting that you are not French of course).

6. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

I'm not sure it proves anything but on many occasions I've gotten people to believe I was a conservative or libertarian (or liberal :mischief:). Of course, I sympathize a lot with the libertarian position, so that might have something to do with it.

The key thing to remember is that everyone has their own coherent logic: even if it's wrong, it ultimately informs the rest of their position. So you simply latch on to the basic premise and try to work from there.

Arguing the other side's economics is easy for me though. I don't know a lot about economics to start with, but simply saying stuff like "welfare will make people lazy because they'll get money for doing nothing and then just keep doing nothing" is quite effective at convincing someone of your conservatism.

7. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

I actually had more radical people in mind. But indeed, those are quite valid points as well. One must note that nationalists come in a lot of flavors from the elitist Third Position ultranationalism I attempted to impersonate to what I would call "Daily Mail Nationalism" which would included the sentiments you mentioned earlier.

The basic premise of Libertarianism is that society is composed of individuals and that those individuals are the basis of all morality, not society itself. A communitarian (in the sense of the sub-national counterpart of nationalism) may want to support zoning laws to preserve the spirit of the community, which is an issue that is not of interest to libertarians. American Liberals think similarly, but also believe that inaliable rights extend to unconditional access to certain goods, like health care.

8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The problem I'm seeing here is that there's no guarantee the "neutral" has any better grasp on things than you do. If the "neutral" is your average punter, you're really just being asked for an impression rather than an argument, which is more about understanding rhetorical style than political philosophy.

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

No link to an online test ^^?

I'm pretty sure I can argue for and against every ideological topic you give me, as well as for the general economic issues. It will just be a difference in the time span, when the ridiculous arguing techniques begin to appear.

10. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

I've actually considered doing this for a month on CFC.

11. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

Impersonating a conservative is easy.

12. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

USA #1!

Spoiler :

That was my cheap impersonation of an American nationalist.

13. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

The terrorists are jealous of our freedom.

14. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

USA #1 is an objective fact that is not tied to any ideology.

15. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Actually, it is an impersonation of Dachs' impersonation of a random impersonation of a Conservative that is impersonating a Conservative in the mind of formaldehyde.

16. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Spoken like a true 'Murican.

17. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Spoken like anyone who cares about truth.

18. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Well, that's definitely an article that should be deleted for lack of notability and reliable secondary sources.

/deletionist perspective