Karma visits Pennsylvania.

Oh no! Their kids saw a gun! We must protect the children!!:eek:

Who are you to question parents protecting their children from potentially dangerous people? And the potential came to fruition.

For some people seeing a gun isn't a big deal but again, time and place.

Who are you to question parents protecting their children from potentially dangerous people? And the potential came to fruition.

For some people seeing a gun isn't a big deal but again, time and place.

If you want to protect your kids, in that case, you might want to carry a pistol.

Or...you can just remove your children from the scene.

Funny thing is, however, that if some lunatic came by and tried to shoot up the people at the event and this lady had used her carried firearm to stop him cold, she would have been applauded as a hero.

Honestly, is there no decent middle between "People who get in the news for having guns must DIE, and we should all sing around the fire to the news of their death" and "A person should be armed at all times. At the birth of a person's child, he or she must carry two guns, so the infant can be armed at the first opportunity"?

Yeah, the woman was clearly an idiot. Idiots have a strong tendency to get killed by stupid gun use. This really isn't a reason to demonize the lady, or to push for tighter gun laws or whatever else people want to use this event for.

If you want to protect your kids, in that case, you might want to carry a pistol.

Funny thing is, however, that if some lunatic came by and tried to shoot up the people at the event and this lady had used her carried firearm to stop him cold, she would have been applauded as a hero.

And yet that didn't happen. So what's your point?

Those of you who are "drinking" karma in relation to this discussion are drinking the cheap American stuff that comes in a screw top bottle and is aged 90 minutes. "Real" karma, the kind imbibed by Hindus and Buddhists is a much more flavorful and complex brew that is aged for lifetimes, and would never be served at a table discussing "bring a gun to the game today and die at the hand of gun-toting killer tomorrow".

Fine. Instant-Karma... For an instant gratification society.

We don't use that old crappy karma that takes forever and doesn't even taste better.

that is what it sounds like, to me. What else could raven possibly mean by "karma"?

learn 2 read

what appeared to be a murder-suicide, police said.

According to the Lebanon Daily News, several neighbors said they witnessed the children, ages 2, 6 and 10, run from the house shouting, "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before 911 was called at 6:20 p.m.

While I'm not going to harbor any glee here for the death of the woman (like a lot of people in this thread might suggest I'm doing, given my position), I think that the point of the thread is that not enough emphasis is placed among the gun-toters that they should be used responsibly and that bringing it to a kids' soccer game, while perfectly legal, might not have been the wisest idea. Even barring that conclusion, there isn't enough restraint and good sense to be discreet about one's gun possession; the story in the OP certainly communicates that people should be mindful of this.

When I first read this story, all I could think of was that the Chief of Police was just proved right in all he did.

Tip of the hat (Colbert referance there) to Mobboss for actually reading the linked article.

I quite simply cannot understand the sort of logic that drives someone to openly carry a loaded firearm...at a friggin' children's soccer game!!!!. Absolutely mental. What was she expecting precisely? A gang-related drive-by? One of the other parents to pull a weapon on the referee? Perhaps a platoon of redcoats to crest the rise looking to squash her Liberty??? Cards on the table; I come from a country where it is illegal to own anything above a .22 rifle and even then, you'll have a job getting a permit unless you're a farmer or from a rural area so I really can't understand the mindset that brings people to own powerful handguns and rifles in the first place, never mind carry them in public but when other Americans, some of whom must've been gun-owners themselves objected to what she was doing then I think it's clear that she was doing something way off base. If I saw someone carrying a weapon like that I would find it inflammatory, intimidating and totally contrary to the very concept of a children's game!

That's a point unrelated to her death mind.

Karma's a b!tch and no one can stand in her way. Ain't that the truth.
How's it karma though? It seems likely that her husband killed her. If it hadn't been with a gun then it probably would've been with a kitchen knife. The presence of guns probably made the whole process "easier" but the murderous intent was there nonetheless.

It's not about 'seeing a gun' - or shouldn't be, anyway. The thing is, if you see someone carrying a firearm in an inappropriate situation, as this clearly was, how are you to know whether that person is a stable, responsible individual, or someone who is likely to draw that weapon and start shooting at the slightest excuse? Bearing in mind that you aren't solely responsible for your own life, but have your kids with you???

You may not feel threatened personally when you see someone carrying a gun, but you should have enough empathy to see why these parents might feel differently.

Ironically, a lot of the people who are now defending her taking the gun to the kid's game would be outraged if instead of showing a gun in plain view she had been showing a breast in plain view :ack:

would somebody think of the children?!? :cry:

Wait. Mom carried the gun to a game (big whoop, actually) and DAD shot mom, so why does mom carrying the gun to the game have any bearing in this discussion about the murder-suicide? It was THE OTHER PARENT who went whacky.

I thought carrying a gun was a way to prevent being murdered?

Except one is more likely to be able to stop some lunatic if they're carrying concealed rather than openly, because in the latter case they're probably going to be the first target of the lunatic and thus have fewer tactical options. Thus it seems to me that she was indeed being irresponsible in openly carrying a pistol to a kids' sports game, because she could have avoided freaking everyone out with roughly the same (or better) defensive effectiveness.

Wait. Mom carried the gun to a game (big whoop, actually) and DAD shot mom, so why does mom carrying the gun to the game have any bearing in this discussion about the murder-suicide? It was THE OTHER PARENT who went whacky.

I thought carrying a gun was a way to prevent being murdered?

Yeah, that was the other thing - guns generally don't help much when you live with the person that is about to murder you. :(

Yeah, that was the other thing - guns generally don't help much when you live with the person that is about to murder you. :(
Yes, and this happens way more often than the self-defense against a burglar scenario.

Yes, yes, I know and I'm not saying to take away yer gunz, am I? I'm just saying this is, for me, yet another reason why I will probably never own a gun.

Yes, and this happens way more often than the self-defense against a burglar scenario.

Yes, yes, I know and I'm not saying to take away yer gunz, am I? I'm just saying this is, for me, yet another reason why I will probably never own a gun.

Don't majorly piss off your wife/kids/partner and you won't have to worry about it.

Top Bottom