One year on, I'm happy Trump won

For voting against him

And of course, Trump's not actively trying to kill underprivileged people. Some more will die than otherwise for reasons like police brutality being higher than it would likely be over the span 2017-20, more people being deported to more violent countries, low refugee totals, etc. But all presidents implicitly kill large numbers of people through their policy choices, or could choose to let fewer people die but instead let more die - it's just one of those brutal facts of reality.

Trump is absolutely actively trying to kill underprivileged people. To say otherwise is completely ludicrous. He and his party know perfectly well what the effects will be of their policies. Presidents who don't make an effort to kill the fewest number of people possible through their policy choices are actively trying to kill people. There is no other way to frame it.

BAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's too early to tell still. Trump's presidency has certainly harmed a lot of people, many of whom are not the kinds of people who post on these forums. Most of us here do not fear deportation or Sessions or racist bullying in 7th grade. But the reality is we need more receipts first. If progressive groundswells continue to furnish electoral results and get some real pushback against Trump in 2018 and 2020 and then some policy in the preceding years, then maybe I'll go along with the argument. But it has to be a lot of change to counteract Trump for 4-8 years and a lot of real economic and social justice successes. If all we do is oscillate between the two parties for the 2010s and 2020s without much in the way of actual progressive change then... whoopdee doo. I see a lot of angry people and some early encouraging signs but everything has been relatively localized. I hope for the best. We'll see. Trump is loading up federal courts at unprecedented speed and the SCOTUS balance scares me. I hope the vitamins are good. That has the potential to harm us for many decades.

For voting against him
So he ran on a white nationalist platform as a preemptive revenge against black people for not voting for him because he ran on a white nationalist platform?

I'm not sure that the Donald is working on that kind of level.

Hmm, I actually think there's pretty good evidence that his mind exists outside of our linear perception of time.

[you see this here my cheek and this here my tongue]
I agree with you to some extent. Had Hillary won, we'd now probably be watching her impeachment proceedings on CSPAN, McConnell would still be blocking SCOTUS nominations, and there would be no way the Democrats would even be looking at taking either the Senate or the House in 2018.
We would be watching that. You and me.
Liberal Americans would be hiding in their basements because social justice witch hunting would have basically progressed to The Purge by now.
There would be autistically screeching "feminists" with butcher knifes roaming the streets, mostly murdering each other for purity's sake.
It would also be quite possible that Clinton would have side-of-beefed it, and by some path of promotion Amanda Marcotte would be WH Chief of Staff by now, running the country.
Or purging it.
I am not sure if the math really works out, what with all the damage to norms and institutions of the Republic. But there is one more thing:
Melania Trump is kinda cool.

Wait, wait, wait... nobody light their hair on fire.
1. I didn't say "great". I said "cool" and i said "kinda".
2. Let me explain:

Despite disagreeing with her on most things i have liked the idea of President Rice.
Unwed, childless woman in the White House.
Say it a couple of times and see how it feels:
Unwed childless woman. Unwed childless woman. Unwed childless woman.
President Rice.

Maybe you don't feel this from the inside of the snowglobe but this First Family business that you people usually do is pretty bananas.
And you would have had that as per usual. There would have been one secretary per month filing some sort of harassment charge (cause Bill) and Chelsea Butterface Killallmen would have annoyed your soul out of your skull, but generally speaking there would have been the usual First Family theatrics.

But now this is kind of not happening, for the first time in 30 years basically.
Like, the de facto First Lady, if you actually have a de facto First Lady is Jared Kushner.
(He probably did all the Cristmas deco too.)

In what demographic did Trump win the most compared to 2012 again?
Oh, right: Latinas.
Oh, btw, this also happened:
Spoiler :

Yeah, i know, very "problematic".

Oh, speaking of Italian: Do we really have to hold her to a textbook? Don't be stingy, give her the Italian. We will call her French worthless. And we will call her German "equivalent to Bill Clinton's German".
After those deduction she still speaks four languages.
Any of you want to learn Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian? No, no, keep them up while i'm counting.

You want to gripe a bit about how she may or may not have stayed in the country illegally?
Switch to the Slovenian perspective please. We normie beta Continentals find your constabulary really, really scary.
Thought experiment: Imagine you were extremely visibly gay and you were planning to overstay your visa in Russia.

Your brilliant humorists find it very funny to call her a "mail order bride".
The people of Slovenia find that less funny.
Also: The people in Greece, Portugal, omg laz0r Estonia, most of Spain and four German states who all have lower gdp per capita than Slovenia.
Oh, and: we can all agree that she obviously refuses to sleep with the President?

So between that veil and the Pope and that sketchy paperwork we can summarise:
You have a First Lady who doesn't give a frack about many things, including being First Lady.
She's the first Catholic in the White House since the Kennedys.
And she's the first First Lady who's a naturalised citizen since Washington crossed the Delaware.​

Sum total:
Great? Certainly not.
Cool? Kinda.

Cooler than watching Amanda Marcotte in a craft-scissor fight with Bill's latest victim?
Depends on your concept of "cool".

PS:
Just ignore everything else: Imagine i were to step out of a time machine somewhere in the middle of the end of history* and tell the earlier you:
"23 years from now a catholic model/trophy wife with semi-solid citizenship will be First Lady and not give a damn. She'll fly here next year. Oh, by the way, do you know about impeachment and censure. Yeah, you'll hear about that a lot."

*Yes, i looked up whether or not the third episode of MscL aired before Ms. Trump came to America.
Of course i did. Because that's a very sane thing to do.
[/cheek][/tongue]

Last edited:
Lol @ social justice The Purge. I don't even think that was intentional hyperbole either.

Does she know how to smile? Of course, being married to a moron would put a damper on one's attitude.

Oh, speaking of Italian: Do we really have to hold her to a textbook? Don't be stingy, give her the Italian. We will call her French worthless. And we will call her German "equivalent to Bill Clinton's German".
After those deduction she still speaks four languages.
Any of you want to learn Slovenian and Serbo-Croatian? No, no, keep them up while i'm counting.

Pfff, I could learn Slovenian pretty easily if I cared to. But why bother learning a language with only two million native speakers ?
And Serbocroatian isn't that hard. It's just a tonal language that has seven cases and expresses them through inflections instead of the awkward and frankly primitive German slap-some-article-on-it method, has different past tenses for male and female subjects, different plurals for small, large and unknown quantities and treats R as a consonant (blood: krv; death: smrt; heart: srce; dead: mrtav/mrtvo/mrtva depending on gender).

Your brilliant humorists find it very funny to call her a "mail order bride".
The people of Slovenia find that less funny.
Also: The people in Greece, Portugal, omg laz0r Estonia, most of Spain and four German states who all have lower gdp per capita than Slovenia.

That BS really triggers me. Oh, it's a slavic country. It's a pulp novel idea of Transylvania. Nevermind that Slovenes in Yugoslavia were stereotyped as arrogant pseudo-Austrians who are ashamed that they're not Germans.

Oh, and: we can all agree that she obviously refuses to sleep with the President?

Well, she obviously doesn't sleep with him now, but she did in the past. Which brings us to...​

Sum total:
Great? Certainly not.
Cool? Kinda.
She's hot and has some cool points, but that's all more than nullified by the fact that she had sex with Donald Trump which makes her a really lame person.

Does she know how to smile? Of course, being married to a moron would put a damper on one's attitude.
I recently saw her do some stupid Christmas thing with children (answering their dumb/scipted questions and reading them a short story (or her shopping list for all i know - i moved on to the next tab)).
I'm pretty sure she smiled there.

Generally her smiling appears to be negatively correlated with her family and in particular her husband being around. So there's evidence in favor of your theory.

And she did publicly slap his hand away on an early foreign trip.

Lol @ social justice The Purge. I don't even think that was intentional hyperbole either.

Well, social justice warriors are bigger enemies than fascists and the alt-right. That's how self-proclaimed moderates see it.

This was how some parts of the British Left felt after a year of Thatcher.

It took seventeen years, and the result was Blair.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but caution is warranted.
Especially as the Republicans will very probably retain enough clout to prevent the damage they've caused from being undone. Just a few examples: (dis-)protection of endangered species, use of fossil fuels, loss of net neutrality, possible new wars in the Middle East or even North Korea, permanent damage to relations with Muslims and Latin Americans…

Let's just do the Godwynn manoeuvre and mention that being happy for Trump is comparable to Jews being happy for Hitler because he helped convince people that founding the state of Israel was a necessity.
That and it has pretty much become automatic for presidents to get two terms. Of course, Bush Sr. got booted out after one term and he was a lot more competent and a lot less...controversial than Trump.
But Bush Sr. was really the third episode of the Reagan saga.
Trump is absolutely trying to kill black people. The policies he's pushing would/will lead to many unnecessary deaths of black people (among other people of course).
He's just letting them die, which is completely not the same as killing them.
So he ran on a white nationalist platform as a preemptive revenge against black people for not voting for him because he ran on a white nationalist platform?

VOTECEPTION
treats R as a consonant*
*vowel

Top Bottom