1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Quick Questions and Answers

1. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

It refers to a builder ability to chop a forest tile of it's wood... doing so gives the tile's city owner a production boost, which can then be doubled if Magnus is the governor there...

It also refers to harvesting some other features out of tiles

you will find many threads talking about this subject on the forum

2. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

I’ve just noticed that an archer can shoot up the hill, through rainforest. I mean, archer on plains, target on hills, between them plains, all 3 tiles have rainforest. Was it always like this or is it a bug?

3. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Always like this. If there would be a hill in between (with or without rainforest) it would not be possible however. The other way around (from hill to flat) is always possible, whether it's flat land or hill in between.

4. Infixo

Infixo Warlord

Shooting from hill, i am aware. Hill blocking when in-between I am aware.
    It’s rather the rainforest that actually surprised me. I thought that it (and forest) blocked the LoS and range to 1 tile. I mean, they certainly do when shooting from plains into plains. Why not when shooting from plains to hills?
    Seems that the LoS algorithm is a bit more complex, I would really like to know precisely how it works, especially: when does forest/rainforest actually block LoS?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Forest/rainforest normally blocks LoS, except when the tile beyond it is a hill. Following the "hill is higher than forest" line of thought, I suppose. I'm afraid I don't know everything in detail myself either.

Infixo likes this.
  6. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

How do you see what your allies are researching in the tech tree? In the patch video Ed said they added flags that indicate the current techs that your allies are researching, but I can't see them. Do you need to have higher alliance level in order to see it?

7. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

It's for the level 3 (and maybe level 2?) Research Alliance, and it's added so you know which tech you get a boost for when researching.

8. KAL_MAD

KAL_MAD Chieftain

Okay thanks. For some reason I thought that you can see all your allies' current researched tech

9. Unikornus

Unikornus Chieftain

Two city states in my current game gave me a quest - to trigger an Eureka for Nuclear Fission. I looked it up and said to boost via Great Scientist or Spy. I don't have a Great Scientist and I couldn't figure out how to do it via Spy?

10. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

A spy can steal a tech boost.

You do have a bit of bad luck though, it's typically very hard to get these boosts, so you'll probably not be able to complete the quest. If the game isn't in the Information Era yet, you can make sure to research Nuclear Fission before the next era starts and you'll get new quests from the city states (if you don't research it, the quest will remain once you enter a new era).

11. Unikornus

Unikornus Chieftain

I could purchase a Great Scientist, would that fulfill the Eureka requirement?

12. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

That depends. Getting the boost via great scientist means that you can get it from a Great Scientist who either specifically unlocks the boost (not sure if one exists for Nuclear Fission) or by chance if you unlock one or more random boosts from the era.

13. Bernharde

Bernharde Chieftain

I have a question regarding governors.

Magnus' final promotion is called 'vertical integration' and its description is 'This city receives Production from any number of nearby Industrial Zones, not just the first.'

What does 'nearby' mean specifically? What is the maximal distance Industrial Zones from other cities apply to this effect?

14. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Factories and Power Plants give bonus production to all cities in an area around the Industrial Zone. Normally, when multiple factories or power plants would give production to a city, only one instance of each building counts. With this promotion, all count. So if you have 6 Factories and Power Plants in range of your city, they all add their production to the city seperately, giving something like 18 production from the factories and 24 production from the power plants, rather than 3 and 4 (or whatever the correct numbers are).

Bernharde likes this.
  15. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

I think the default range is 6, can be increased via some uncommon bonuses.

16. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Anyone got a clue how loyalty in Aachen is rising while it's a free city? (yes, it is actually rising; according to the tooltip it only has -3 per turn from other cities' pressure)

Spoiler :

upload_2018-3-11_18-31-29.png

17. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Anyone know why Catherine D'Medici's wine is not appearing? Just a glass with an odd line representing the top of the fluid.

Running the game on an i7-7700hq paired with a GTX 1070 and 16gb RAM

18. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

I think I figured this out, and it's really dumb.

I've had a message several times of "You conquered the capital of Free Cities". I think that when I conquered Brussels (a city from the Cree that had flipped) and got this message, Aachen instead became the "capital of Free Cities", giving it additional loyalty strength.

I hope this gets fixed next patch because it's super annoying. The only reason Aachen's loyalty is going down right now is because there are four Amani's in Geneva just to the southwest pressuring it, plus my own Amani that is positioned to pressure most of Germany.

EDIT: Can confirm, an additional Amani arrived and the city flipped to me, got the message I conquered the capital of Free Cities.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  19. wutface

wutface Chieftain

"Make demand" option

does it even do anything?

20. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Yes, you can demand stuff. Not sure if they ever agree to it, but it might make them mad enough to denounce you/declare war on you, which can be what you're aiming for.