Both.
You may, and probably should, place your melee unit and battering ram at the same tile.

thanks, didn't realise I could do that, that makes sense now.

okay whilst I'm on a roll of questions only a beginner should be asking.

Adjacency bonuses, when I choose my policies, theres ones like '+100 campus district adjacency bonuses'

I know this will sound thick, but am I supposed to place my campuses so that they are adjacent to the next city's campus. so if you have two cities close together, the one on the left I put his campus on the right and the right hand city I put his on the left so they are adjacent tiles?
or does it just mean the +1 and +2 that you see on the squares when you are choosing the location?

another daft question, when you are sending traders, and theres an advantage to sending them somewhere which will create a road, how do you easily see which routes will create a road?

Adjacency bonuses, when I choose my policies, theres ones like '+100 campus district adjacency bonuses'

I know this will sound thick, but am I supposed to place my campuses so that they are adjacent to the next city's campus. so if you have two cities close together, the one on the left I put his campus on the right and the right hand city I put his on the left so they are adjacent tiles?
or does it just mean the +1 and +2 that you see on the squares when you are choosing the location?

It is the +1 or +2 that you see when deciding where to plant a district. Adjacency bonuses vary by district type. For campuses, you get +1 science yield for each adjacent mountain tile, +1 science for every 2 adjacent rainforest tiles (and it is only for 2 rainforest tiles; you don't get +0.5 for being adjacent to 1 rainforest tile), etc. -- it's all in the Civilopedia. You do get +1 science for every 2 adjacent districts, which includes adjacent districts that were built in another city, but you would likely sacrifice other potential adjacency bonuses if you tried too hard to have adjacent campuses in neighboring cities.

another daft question, when you are sending traders, and theres an advantage to sending them somewhere which will create a road, how do you easily see which routes will create a road?

As you select alternative trade routes in the trade-route-selection screen, a ghostly set of lines will appear on the map, showing you the path the trader will take -- if a road does not already exist on that path, a road will be built.

As you select alternative trade routes in the trade-route-selection screen, a ghostly set of lines will appear on the map, showing you the path the trader will take -- if a road does not already exist on that path, a road will be built.

but that's what I mean, how can I tell if the road does exist already or not?

It is the +1 or +2 that you see when deciding where to plant a district. Adjacency bonuses vary by district type. For campuses, you get +1 science yield for each adjacent mountain tile, +1 science for every 2 adjacent rainforest tiles (and it is only for 2 rainforest tiles; you don't get +0.5 for being adjacent to 1 rainforest tile), etc. -- it's all in the Civilopedia. You do get +1 science for every 2 adjacent districts, which includes adjacent districts that were built in another city, but you would likely sacrifice other potential adjacency bonuses if you tried too hard to have adjacent campuses in neighboring cities.

thanks much appreciated

I have noticed that traders don't always build the road where the preview shows it. Same start and end cities of course, but a different route between them. This can be annoying if what you really want is a road through hills or other terrain to speed movements of your military along your borders.

12324343222.jpg

Why aren't Malian cities at least 39 garrison strength? (Mandekalu Cav 49-10)

Is there an easy way to see how many great people points are being generated per city?

Does anybody know if the drawings in the undiscovered map, like the compass, the ship and such, have any meaning at all?

They don't ;-)
Ok thanks mate. I had a weird luck session then. I was traversing the sea with my armies to invade an enemy (actually 2) I was at war with, but who I didnt even know, or where he was. I was Polands ally on another continent, and Persia and Sumeria had joint war-ed her, so I decided to take a hike. While watching over the undiscovered map to make a decision about where to go, it happened in the end that the 2 compasses over the fog of war, were right on top of their capitals. Hence my curiosity.

when people talk about chopping trees down for extra production... if I have a city with loads of woods tiles. should I be doing things in two separate steps..

e.g. two separate examples as the answer might be different.

I want to build a farm on a tile that has woods. should the builder remove the woods first then separate move, build the farm? or does putting a farm in do that automatically?

similarly but maybe not the same. if I go to build a campus on the square, should I be getting a builder to chop the trees first?

when people talk about chopping trees down for extra production... if I have a city with loads of woods tiles. should I be doing things in two separate steps..

e.g. two separate examples as the answer might be different.

I want to build a farm on a tile that has woods. should the builder remove the woods first then separate move, build the farm? or does putting a farm in do that automatically?

similarly but maybe not the same. if I go to build a campus on the square, should I be getting a builder to chop the trees first?

The builder UI will not let you put a farm on top of woods or rainforest, you need to chop it first.

About the buildings, you dont HAVE to chop it, but its advisable, harvesting that tile will accumulate an amount of production/food for the next build in your city. If you chop rainforest you get food and production, if you chop woods just production, if you chop marsh just food etc. The only requisite to put a building on things like rainforest is having the appropiate tech to HARVEST that resource, not farm. Example: you need mining to farm stone, but you need bronze working to "chop" it.
If you put the building without chopping, you will lose forever that 1time production. Its a choice you will have to make, depending on your economy/availability of builders it might be worth it or not. Plan ahead if you want to use this mechanic, because builders take a significant amount of time/money at the start of a game.

Last edited:
any way to see Electronics Factory coverage? it says each one gives production to every city within 6 squares, is there any way to see which cities are covered? I think I make too many of them because im not sure where I need them.

is it just me or guards imperial OP? they are about 100, im building tanks now that can't defeat them and yet France is way behind me in everything.

is it just me or guards imperial OP? they are about 100, im building tanks now that can't defeat them and yet France is way behind me in everything.
They are 65 base strength, plus 10 on their home continent, add 10 against anti-cavalry. Anything more would be from promotions or their intel advantage on you. Corps/armies are 10 and 17 more, of course.

Hover over the combat preview to see details.

Top Bottom